Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Photos of Brighton 1976

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had a spell of going to Swifts on a Friday night, we were probably in there at the same time.

Did you always have a nice feeling for some pubs over others?

I felt so comfortable in Shades, Fagans, Frock & Jackett and most clubs (a love of dancing, music and staying out very late).

Swifts was just okay imho, too brightly lit, often too crowded.

But special days. I did it on and off for 25 years :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Did you always have a nice feeling for some pubs over others?

I felt so comfortable in Shades, Fagans, Frock & Jackett and most clubs (a love of dancing, music and staying out very late).

Swifts was just okay imho, too brightly lit, often too crowded.

But special days. I did it on and off for 25 years :lolol:

Definitely went to some pubs more than others.

Living near Lewes Rd Brighton I didn’t always go into the Town centre, some weekends we would just drink locally, also went to the Hare and Hounds at Preston Circus every Friday for a while around 83-84.

Swifts, Smugglers and Coasters are the only places I remember going regularly with mates on Fridays in the 80s.
Occasionally went to Shades, I can’t remember where Fagans was TBH and I can only remember Frock and Jacket being mentioned in the early 90s and I never went there.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We had number 6 (blue) that went up Bear Road and 38 (green) this went up Coombe Road.

6 wasn't a corporation bus it was brighton buses - Woodingdean to Station via bear road and up to seven dials.

48 also used to go up there on its route to woodingdean.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Pav Tav was AKA Shades, as mentioned on this thread by [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION].
Was William Tell near the bottom of Queens Road?

The pub that I recalled incorrectly as being the William Tell was in fact the Sea House. The William Tell was indeed on Queens Road. Not sure that I ever went there. Did the Pav Tav have a couple of bars, of which Shades was the trendy bit and I went in the other bit?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Brightonandhovestuff.co.uk is a great source of old local photos. Try searching on Goldstone for some nostalgia.

That is a fantastic website, not seen it before, thanks for posting I’m going to spend hours on there looking at the photos.
I noticed many are from Argus archives, I went to the exhibition of photos about 4 years back at The Grand.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The pub that I recalled incorrectly as being the William Tell was in fact the Sea House. The William Tell was indeed on Queens Road. Not sure that I ever went there. Did the Pav Tav have a couple of bars, of which Shades was the trendy bit and I went in the other bit?

I worked all the bars in Pav Tav including shades and the wine bar in mid 79 to early 80. Along with Charles Gillett and his brother John (Aden).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aden_Gillett

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Moved to Shoreham in '72 and in '76 my parents decided a fun day out would be to get the 2 to the end of the line in Rottingdean. I have traveled a fair bit in my life, but that bus journey took the biscuit. We didn't arrive in Rottingdean until March '79. Always preferred the 230 or 700 to get to Brighton.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I do remember the Sea House, I’m sure it closed down in the 80s and was empty for ages, I’m not sure what is there now. I’ve seen a photo of a large group of Stoke fans outside the pub, probably early 80s.

I didn’t know why the Pav Tav was called Shades to a few years back, I was walking up Steine Lane behind the pub and noticed ‘Shades Bar’ not sure if it was on the window or a sign above a door.
Most people I knew just called the pub Shades in the 80s.

https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/placepub/sea-house/sea-house

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was a regular, three times a week, from 1979 until 1986 - went to BHASVIC too, oddly enough. Never been a rock club like it. :)

74-77.

Went back in around 92 and it was exactly the same. Same music and even the same bloke behind the bar. Emotional.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here