Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Photo: Who is this Albion player? (November 1980)

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Interesting team we put out. I wonder how our 'best' current 11 would fare ? Foster v Ulloa might well be interesting and I could see Lawrenson exposing any lack of pace in the current midfield. Robinson not to pass but score the winner perhaps !!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Interesting team we put out. I wonder how our 'best' current 11 would fare ? Foster v Ulloa might well be interesting and I could see Lawrenson exposing any lack of pace in the current midfield. Robinson not to pass but score the winner perhaps !!

I'd be interested in knowing what kind of player Jacob Cohen was - was he any good? How would he have fared against Will Buckley?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
The team for that game (1st Nov, 1980) was

Moseley
Gregory
Cohen
Horton
Foster
Lawrenson
Stevens
Richie
Robinson
Smith
O'Sullivan

Ryan (non playing sub)

No Bridcutt?!?! Unbelievable!!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Moshe just made the 1 appearance v saints in 1980 so in retrospect its not him :)

ring2_small.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Definitely not Pearce as he made his debut for Brighton at the start of the relegation season in 1982/83. Looks like him though.

I'm pinning my hopes on it being Jacob Cohen. It's been a long search to find any action shots of his time and judging from this thread, it sounds like it might be him...

I'd forgotten he had even played for us.....bad fan

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The only remaining players from the glory years that I haven't yet seen photos of them in action for the Albion (as opposed to posed pics) are Moshe Gariani, Glen Geard and Chris Rodon. I suspect these will be even harder to find.....

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

I think that 1980 team would give the current side a very decent game. That was a fairly attacking line up considering it was away at Arsenal. No winger in the starting XI but three forwards in Robinson, Ritchie and Smith (ok Smith generally played a bit deeper), then Horton, Stevens and Sully in midfield with Lawro roving from defence and Gregory was an attacking FB. I think Bridders would know he'd been in a game but the flair in our current side would make the difference.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yeah but it is the wing Wizard himself Peter O'sullivan I do miss the sully shuffle don't think any winger has ever mastered the sully Shuffle

I really have a soft spot for Sully among my all time Albion heroes. He kind of took over from Kit Napier as my favourite player, certainly until Wardy came along but never lost my high regard for him.

Early on in his Albion career Sully was a winger, maybe not gifted with extreme pace but certainly had a mind boggling repetoire of step overs, even if they did always come off it was entertaining seeing him try. Plus his 'Rivelino' look alike appearance added to his aura.

Under Mullery he morphed into more of a wide midfield player and although he rarely got the headlines he always did a job for The Albion. Always a hero. I love reading that he is still about and not forgotten by the Club.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I really have a soft spot for Sully among my all time Albion heroes. He kind of took over from Kit Napier as my favourite player, certainly until Wardy came along but never lost my high regard for him.

Early on in his Albion career Sully was a winger, maybe not gifted with extreme pace but certainly had a mind boggling repetoire of step overs, even if they did always come off it was entertaining seeing him try. Plus his 'Rivelino' look alike appearance added to his aura.

Under Mullery he morphed into more of a wide midfield player and although he rarely got the headlines he always did a job for The Albion. Always a hero. I love reading that he is still about and not forgotten by the Club.

Struggled to adapt to higher league at first ....but knuckled down and did the business .....always a favourite to me

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Sully was released when we were promoted and, I believe, went to play in the USA but Mullery saw what the team was lacking and re-signed him a couple of months into the season.

He's one of those classy players who, when reaching the end of their careers, seem to relax and play for fun, letting the youngsters do the running whilst they pull the strings. Bit like Wendy did in his last couple of seasons and Le Tiss at Saints, where those final years are amounst their finest.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
If that's the one we lost 2-0 I was at that game. I'm sure it gets a mention in Fever Pitch too, (book not film).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If that's the one we lost 2-0 I was at that game. I'm sure it gets a mention in Fever Pitch too, (book not film).

"A nothing game between two nothing teams," wrote Hornsby.

Grrrr. Did he not know we had an Israeli international defender?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here