Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Phil Neville

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How many do we need to decide on? Saw a retained / released list on the U23s that was presumably done by Rusk and Ashworth the other day. Bong has a new contract. Bruno has gone. Not sure how many others there are affected. I know someone has a list in their sign off but cannot rememeber who!

A bigger worry would be if we had to delay getting players in. When we went up we'd already signed Gross by about this time (think he was first day of the window). So that would mean Ashworth and Winstanley in full control of signings until after the WWC if it is Neville or new signings put on hold.

I assume the next appointment will be along similar lines to CH and will not get autonomy in signing players but you'd hope we at least had someone available to consult. The biggest issue with Hyypia for me was that we had a load of players who could never fit his (totally hatstand) tactics.

I meant more if an offer comes in for a player, say mid-June. The new manager will never have seen him in training. How does he decide whether he wants that player in his squad or wants the money for a replacement.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How many do we need to decide on? Saw a retained / released list on the U23s that was presumably done by Rusk and Ashworth the other day. Bong has a new contract. Bruno has gone. Not sure how many others there are affected. I know someone has a list in their sign off but cannot rememeber who!

A bigger worry would be if we had to delay getting players in. When we went up we'd already signed Gross by about this time (think he was first day of the window). So that would mean Ashworth and Winstanley in full control of signings until after the WWC if it is Neville or new signings put on hold.

I assume the next appointment will be along similar lines to CH and will not get autonomy in signing players but you'd hope we at least had someone available to consult. The biggest issue with Hyypia for me was that we had a load of players who could never fit his (totally hatstand) tactics.
Just 2.

Tomer Hemed and Richie Towell.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

AZGull updates this page (although he hasn't done it in the last week)
Tomer Hemed & Richie Towell are the two out of contract.
https://www.northstandchat.com/cont...ue-squad-U-21s-listing-and-contract-durations

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I meant more if an offer comes in for a player, say mid-June. The new manager will never have seen him in training. How does he decide whether he wants that player in his squad or wants the money for a replacement.

Fair enough and good point.

I am going to make a massive assumption here and suggest that we probably already have a price in mind for some of our more saleable players. For example a price beneath which we wouldn't even consider selling Dunk and a price above which we'd take it all day long as it represented silly money. So, if someone came in with (say) £100 million for (say) Dunk then the new guy might just be left helping the recruitment team fill the gap.

However, having blammed a load of money on new signings last summer I'm sure TB and the team would want a new manager to at least assess them. So the longer we take to appoint, the shorter the window to potentially off load or loan (say) Locadia or Ali J.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Just imagine...its half time and we're 0-3 down to Norwich and Phil Neville pins Shane Duffy to the wall for scoring an own goal and then letting his man run free to head home.

Somehow I cannot see Neville controlling that dressing room, if Hughton couldn't, then soft Phil definitely wont be able to.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No love on here for Neville at all

Until he is appointed and he suddenly becomes the best choice and new messiah of course

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
No love on here for Neville at all

Until he is appointed and he suddenly becomes the best choice and new messiah of course

There's a lot of predicting the future on this forum lately.

No, my albion mojo will be at it's lowest for years if we appoint this charlaton.

Won't happen though.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
If England progress at the World Cup which seems a reasonable assumption, potentially Neville wouldn't be able to start until July and next season starts on August 10. We would therefore surrender what should be one of the advantages of this close season. No International competition.

A full pre season with all the squad available is a rarity these days. The opportunity for the new manager to come in with time to assess his options against the idea of how he wants to set up and play and be involved in key transfer movements, explain and embed his philosophy and tactics should not be wasted.

I'm ambivalent about Phil Neville but I'd prefer we made an appointment where the new manager's summer focus is going to be entirely on Brighton.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
As someone has shown, these rumours anout Neville surfaced as far back as 2013. Surely, if he was the man we would have got him by now. Enough chances in 6 years.

Now that I have said that, watch him be appointed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
How many do we need to decide on? Saw a retained / released list on the U23s that was presumably done by Rusk and Ashworth the other day. Bong has a new contract. Bruno has gone. Not sure how many others there are affected. .

Its just Hemed and Richie Towell who are out of contract, so presumably both will be released.
All other players have contracts til 20/21/22.
Fair bit of in/out with regards loans though but that presumably will wait til players back from hols.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
AZGull updates this page (although he hasn't done it in the last week)
Tomer Hemed & Richie Towell are the two out of contract.
https://www.northstandchat.com/cont...ue-squad-U-21s-listing-and-contract-durations

The page was updated recently with the announcements (prior to season's end) of Bong's and Gyokeres' new contracts.

It is therefore accurate as of the end of the season (ie prior to the announcement of the retained/released lists).

I will create a new one at the start of next season (probably once the 25-man squads have been released) although I am wondering if it is worth my time, given that 99% of NSC never seems to know it exists, as evidenced by this thread.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm rather impressed by the way Neville has been managing the England team, and he's certainly someone who has played at the highest level, been in dressing rooms with big players, in sides playing fantastic attacking football, under a manager renowned as one of the best ever.

It would be a good appointment in my opinion

Agreed. I love listening to him talking about Football. Real passion.

I don’t think he has a realistic chance of being considered for our job but that’s unfortunate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here