Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phil Collins - the Godfather of pop?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it's fair to say he inspired a lot of musicians, but the people he inspired do not tend to make the kind of music I like. The tax move didn't really enhance his credibility either.

He also dumped his wife by fax. Nice guy.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Did his best work with Brand X in my opinion (the jazz-rock odd-bods he drummed with when Genesis weren't touring in case you have never heard of them).

I'm afraid the solo stuff was Mondeo Man personified for me.

And any comparison with Jimi Hendrix is rather silly!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1) That is a myth
2) She had the last laugh anyway in the subsequent divorce settlement.
3) If you weren't getting along with your estranged partner, would you really care for pleasantries? I mean, really?

1) Was it?
2) This does not make him less of a horrible person
3) Yes I would.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No I didn't but I might watch it later. i've found it here if it's the same one.

That's the baby. Very enjoyable. Probably will not tell you much you did not already know. But, it has some lovely footage and some lovely comments from his peers and is put together well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
1) Was it?
2) This does not make him less of a horrible person
3) Yes I would.

Without turning this into one big thing, I doubt there's much point trying to convince each other. I don't want to come across on here as sounding obsessed, although the damage is probably done there. All I will say though is that I'm glad I haven't taken part in the Secret Santa CD gift exchange on the other thread :p

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
"Phil's music has spammed a multitude of genres " corrected for you Herr T.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Great singer and drummer. Hired the very best too when he started out solo so you can't knock his taste or musicianship on those. Well actually of course you can, but you'd be wrong. Went a bit shit on albums 3, 5 and onwards though. Rather worryingly I really liked some Tarzan theme tune he did too. Used to play it to the kids. :moo:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Very interesting article that does seem to point to a musician that is grossly under-rated in pop culture esp. here in the UK. His comments about leaving the country and then the barbs from the Gallagher brothers are probably a big cause of that IMO.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/dec/02/phil-collins-godfather-popular-culture

I like Phil Collins music - esp when he ruled the airwaves in the mid-80s. No doubting he got complacent and bored and ran out of things to say but I'm glad articles like this are coming out to counter all those years of abuse he's got. Time to re-appraise his music, do you think?
I've been a big fan of Genesis (especially post 1975) for years now but apart from maybe the first album you can keep his solo stuff thanks. Bit of an irritating celebrity persona also.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.. which is why I rarely listen to music. The pretence of it all.

People defining themselves and judging others on the basis of their preferred artistry of others. Smiths / Nirvana / Bucks Fizz. All the same to me although the record companies and the critics would like you to think otherwise.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
He also dumped his wife by fax. Nice guy.

Just to add some editorial balance to the discussion on whether Collins was a nice guy or not i'll share this with you.

Back in the early 80's I had a good friend who suffered from muscular dystrophy. When she left school she got a job working in the office of Fowlers Swimming Pools in Cowfold and they used to service Phil Collins swimming pool when he lived up near Horsham.

Collins used to make a specific point of regularly popping into the office with flowers and chocolates for my friend and making a real fuss of her. I know Stephanie was bowled over with his attention and carried the memories of his visits to see her until her tragic and untimely death in her early twenties.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just to add some editorial balance to the discussion on whether Collins was a nice guy or not i'll share this with you.

Back in the early 80's I had a good friend who suffered from muscular dystrophy. When she left school she got a job working in the office of Fowlers Swimming Pools in Cowfold and they used to service Phil Collins swimming pool when he lived up near Horsham.

Collins used to make a specific point of regularly popping into the office with flowers and chocolates for my friend and making a real fuss of her. I know Stephanie was bowled over with his attention and carried the memories of his visits to see her until her tragic and untimely death in her early twenties.

Fair enough; this was nice of him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I prefer his Disney stuff to all his other output, Tarzan, Brother Bear, beautiful work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here