Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phew! Scorchio!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Remember that well..my first year in employment....one suit and two shirts for most of it....geez I don’t know how I coped.
That was bone dry and if I remember correctly didn’t break until September

I left school that summer. GCE's in May/beginning June and apprenticeship started September. Whole summer spent days on the beach and nights in West Street entertained by various girls from HCGSG.

Absolute hell :wink:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I left school that summer. GCE's in May/beginning June and apprenticeship started September. Whole summer spent days on the beach and nights in West Street entertained by various girls from HCGSG.

Absolute hell :wink:

Some of us were daft enough to to finish school on the Friday and start work on Monday....what the heck was I thinking! :facepalm:

el punal

Apart from the summer of 76, we never used to get temperatures like this in summer. Now it seems to be the norm.
Do i like it ? as much as been forced to be in a oven.

Ah! The summer of ‘76. I worked for a French wines and spirits company as a rep. I was given a Renault 12 as a company car whose interior was black plastic, including the seats. Add to that, no air con in those days and obligatory three piece suit to wear as per company rules. Blimey, I was frazzled before I even set off. Chuck in temperatures of well over 30 degrees every day for weeks and not a drop of rain in sight.

The final rubbing of salt into the wounds was that all the breweries were on strike/no stocks of beer, lager or cider. The only drink available was Carlsberg Special Brew (warm!) to quench your thirst - if you dared!

Yes, the wonderful 1970s where everything was shit, apart from the football and certain aspects of music, when a strike would take place every other day. Thank goodness there was the Albion to take your mind of things.

Jul 7, 2003
I set, program and operate CNC Brakepresses. One of jobs is for a customer who makes temporary football ground stands. (We did all the steelwork for Salford Citys ground). Each treadplate is 100kg and measures 2400mm x 1200mm, two folds per part, which involves lifting it off a pallet, onto a barrow, lifting into the machine, turning it over and then doing another fold the opposite direction to make a "z" shape. Then lift it off again.

Its a 2 man job, its ****ing heavy and dirty work. Doing that job in winter isn't an issue as you're hot and tired from lifting all day so minimum temperature shouldn't really apply..

Trouble is that all football clubs want this work done in off season (summer).

I have just finished my 8th litre of water and yet to have a piss today.

Im literally soaked through

Guessing you work for the company based in Sayers Common. I can't remember how I found out about it but it was interesting to see such a business nestled away in our fine county.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Hence your nickname?

Not quite, when I was 19 back in 98 I spent 2 weeks with 2 mates all inclusive in Ibiza, my pillow on the camp bed was a bag of sponges cut up into small squares. Good times.

Guessing you work for the company based in Sayers Common. I can't remember how I found out about it but it was interesting to see such a business nestled away in our fine county.

They are our customer, we make a lot of the bits for them to weld and bolt together, they get all the credit but we do the real work behind it all.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ah! The summer of ‘76. I worked for a French wines and spirits company as a rep. I was given a Renault 12 as a company car whose interior was black plastic, including the seats. Add to that, no air con in those days and obligatory three piece suit to wear as per company rules. Blimey, I was frazzled before I even set off. Chuck in temperatures of well over 30 degrees every day for weeks and not a drop of rain in sight.

The final rubbing of salt into the wounds was that all the breweries were on strike/no stocks of beer, lager or cider. The only drink available was Carlsberg Special Brew (warm!) to quench your thirst - if you dared!

Yes, the wonderful 1970s where everything was shit, apart from the football and certain aspects of music, when a strike would take place every other day. Thank goodness there was the Albion to take your mind of things.

I sense a resurrection!

We moved from Steyningas to Shoreham bythesea in Feb '76, just before I started school. Fortuitous. .. . . As for now, where are the ladybirds?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
First day back at work after 11 days off. In a factory with no aircon. Asbestos roof with windows in the roof running the length of it. Massive windows all down the south side magnifying the heat.

Don't have a thermometer.

I have drunk 6 litres of water so far today and yet to have a piss.

Its ****ing stupidly hot. And should be illegal.

I too have done a ‘count’ albeit only since mid afternoon. I had two large glasses of water between 4-5pm. Went to pub at 5.30pm where I drank a pint of cider and 3 pints of water. Another large glass water between 8 and 9pm, another pint of before bedtime and...I’ve not been to the toilet since midday. It’s getting ridiculous, I’m worried about drowning myself yet no sign of a leak anytime soon. I’ve been sweating buckets all day, the heat and humidity has been unbearable. Just had a torrential downpour that only lasted a few minutes amongst the claps of thunder and streaks of lightening. It wasn’t the only thing streaking, I went and stood outside in only my PANTS to enjoy the lovely cool rain. And with that very powerful image, I bid NSC goodnight and pleasant dreams :p

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Mon dieu, it sounds more like Papillion’s biography - can you still sue? :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here