Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pheasants on the road

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Sadly pheasants are bred and reared for shooting, they are not wild or indigenous animals. They are brought up in low level cages, giving them little chance to learn to fly properly. They are released on the morning of a shoot with no knowledge or experience of the outside world. Those that are 'lucky' enough not to get shot simply have no idea how to survive, and don't associate cars and roads with being dangerous. The only time they've heard a motor engine has been the farmers tractor delivering food to their cages.

That's very sad. Nevertheless, I dread hitting one when I'm on my motorbike, I see them by the side of the road and when they hear the Beemer coming they seem to time their run towards my front wheel with uncanny accuracy, bastards.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Spot on defence of the poor buggers. That does sum it up perfectly. Quite sad really.

That's very sad. Nevertheless, I dread hitting one when I'm on my motorbike, I see them by the side of the road and when they hear the Beemer coming they seem to time their run towards my front wheel with uncanny accuracy, bastards.

I'm an enthusiastic shooter, but I have never given consideration to pheasant or partridge shooting for those very reasons, just seems so cruel. I'll stick to clay pigeons, and on occasion help a local farmer with some pest control, and get some real pigeons or rabbits for the pot.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I'm an enthusiastic shooter, but I have never given consideration to pheasant or partridge shooting for those very reasons, just seems so cruel. I'll stick to clay pigeons, and on occasion help a local farmer with some pest control, and get some real pigeons or rabbits for the pot.

You're clearly not a vegetarian then by your last comment, so I would expect any pheasant or partridge reared in the usual way on a shoot (a little different to the conditions you describe) have better living conditions and are killed quicker than any of the meat ("organic" or not) you'd pick up in the butchers or supermarket.

Have two Pheasants hanging in the garage I shot today on an fantastic HPR (Hunt, point, retrieve) dog training day:thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
You're clearly not a vegetarian then by your last comment, so I would expect any pheasant or partridge reared in the usual way on a shoot (a little different to the conditions you describe) have better living conditions and are killed quicker than any of the meat ("organic" or not) you'd pick up in the butchers or supermarket.

Have two Pheasants hanging in the garage I shot today on an fantastic HPR (Hunt, point, retrieve) dog training day:thumbsup:

I'm not short of offers, a lot of my friends are in syndicates. As for the rearing, they mostly rear their own from poults (?) in pens much as described, it's not ideal training for flying in the real world is it? Try shooting a wild pigeon, or a feral pheasant that's made it in the wild for a couple of years, a somewhat harder target for sure.

It's just my own personal feeling that it is a bit unfair and cruel, however, when my friends do bring me a brace or two they go up,in the garage for a few days prior to gong into a lovely meal, Xmas dinner this year will be pheasants, shot by a mate. I see No point them going to waste, and I know some shoots sadly bulldoze a lot of carcasses into the ground due to the glut, and lack of demand.

Hope you enjoy yours, I'm not one for hanging them till their neck rots off, just 2 or 3 days for me, and I am partial to 'indirect heat' Bbqing them, keeps them lovely and moist. I'm rubbish at preparing them, a quick visit to North Farm in Washington, gets them plucked, drawn and oven (BBQ) ready, for a quid each.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I once stopped as there was a pheasant in major distress on the road- one wing smashed to bits and circling on the ground in obvious anxiety and pain. I had no idea what to do though: I was really grateful when a bloke in a 4x4 stopped, offered me first dibs then rang its neck and took it home.

I'm kind of jealous of the guy- the closest I get to living off the land is using the self-service till at Tescos.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A nice fresh one, that had been hit rather than run over? Yes please! The poor thing can't die twice, can it?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Would you pick up a newly killed pheasant on the side of the road and take it home for the pot.
Not getting into the law here just whether you'd fancy it ?

Are you sure they are really dead? They can be really vicious, I've seen one attack a Leyland Bus!

BrightonBiatch

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sadly pheasants are bred and reared for shooting, they are not wild or indigenous animals. They are brought up in low level cages, giving them little chance to learn to fly properly. They are released on the morning of a shoot with no knowledge or experience of the outside world. Those that are 'lucky' enough not to get shot simply have no idea how to survive, and don't associate cars and roads with being dangerous. The only time they've heard a motor engine has been the farmers tractor delivering food to their cages.

I work for a game keeper and must disagree our pheasants and partridges are reared in large pens where they have lots of room to move and fly,The pheasants are not shot until tail feathers are fully grown,they have a vast area of land to roam around on once released, they are never released and shot on same day most of the time its months later they are stupid enough to fly a guns way !! The only thing i agree on is YES they are stupid birds,but pheasant sausages are very tasty

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Question, and this might sound daft - do pheasants breed in the wild, or are all the ones we see ex-caged birds that haven't been shot yet?

May 17, 2011
1066 country
Try to avoid the birds, When I just past my test at 17 I thought I'ld be clever & hit one doing 70mph in my opel ascona on the flimwell bypass. When i arrived at work in Lamberhurst there was steam coming from under the bonnet & the pheasant had gone through the grill & smashed it pushing the radiator back onto the engine fan & pulleys, cost me a fortune. funny thing was as I was standing there scratching my head veiwing the damage nearly in tears my boss came walking over & plucked the said bird from out of the grill (steaming) & said "I'll have that,thanks." I didn't get a look in. But the answer to the question is yes I would given the chance.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Try to avoid the birds, When I just past my test at 17 I thought I'ld be clever & hit one doing 70mph in my opel ascona on the flimwell bypass. When i arrived at work in Lamberhurst there was steam coming from under the bonnet & the pheasant had gone through the grill & smashed it pushing the radiator back onto the engine fan & pulleys, cost me a fortune. funny thing was as I was standing there scratching my head veiwing the damage nearly in tears my boss came walking over & plucked the said bird from out of the grill (steaming) & said "I'll have that,thanks." I didn't get a look in. But the answer to the question is yes I would given the chance.

So it was already cooked for your boss then. Excellant.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I work for a game keeper and must disagree our pheasants and partridges are reared in large pens where they have lots of room to move and fly,The pheasants are not shot until tail feathers are fully grown,they have a vast area of land to roam around on once released, they are never released and shot on same day most of the time its months later they are stupid enough to fly a guns way !! The only thing i agree on is YES they are stupid birds,but pheasant sausages are very tasty

You may work for a good one, and that is a positive thing, but there are many that sail very close to the legal side, and some of them are on a massive scale, see the image below, there is no room for exercise or flying properly in those cages, and that is typical of the big UK rearers, where most pheasants for shooting come from, and it's legal, like battery chicken farming.

pheasants_hy_fly.jpg

At around 20 weeks old they are moved to release pens which are designed to make the birds reliant on man for food in a semi wild environment.

A quote from the Game Conservancy "try to avoid buildings exposed to excessive disturbance and human activity. While exposure to humans causes no harm to the birds, they may become very tame, possibly resulting in poor flying performance on a shoot day."

The release pens still do not provide enough space for the birds to learn to fly properly, or fend for themselves, so at around 20 weeks old they are set 'free' from a pen like the one below and 'looked after' by the gamekeeper, the presence of feed hoppers encourages birds to remain nearby, so their movements are predictable on the day of the shoot. In fact, because they've been treated like domestic fowl, birds may become inconveniently reliant on humans. Some time later they scared into the air by beaters, to be shot. The Game Conservancy suggests the birds should be in the wild for a month before shooting, this may happen in some areas, but it is also the case that they are kept in the release pens until a matter of a few days before a shoot as well.

1534638_249956cb.jpg

I'm a long time paid up member of the BASC, and I appreciate that the people who breed 'game' for shooting generally stick to the law, and they do a lot of good work in the countryside, I just think that side of the sport is unnecessarily cruel. If you want to read more about the negative side of pheasant rearing, read this document, http://www.animalaid.org.uk/images/pdf/kfrp.pdf it makes for uncomfortable reading to me. I have long only eaten free range and organic poultry (ask any of my friends) for the very reason that battery/intensive farming of poultry is unacceptable to me.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
My sister in law, a proper farm/country girl does this.

If she knows it's freshly killed, blood still runny like, she plucks them, cuts the breast off and roasts it.

I saw one bounce off the windscreen of the car in front of me, picked it up and cooked it that night.

However - you peel them, not pluck. Remove feet head and guts. Take the skin off like a glove - feathers and all, then casserole. Roasting is going to need lots of basting and wrapping or they are dry in texture.
The legs are very dark meat while the breast is white, but all tasty.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Question, and this might sound daft - do pheasants breed in the wild, or are all the ones we see ex-caged birds that haven't been shot yet?

A vast majority are ex-caged birds that have been missed. Birds that survive the shoot have little sense and no parenting in the wild, and sometimes will even return to the release pen areas to be sent up for shooting another time. Others make it into the woods and become victims of foxes and other predators (and vehicles). Some get shot by rough shooters (wild game shooters) for the pot. After the foot and mouth epidemic in 2001 most pheasant shooting was stopped for 12 months or so. Friends who are pheasant shooters told me that when they went back to shooting after the outbreak the birds that had survived in the wild had become much, much harder to shoot as they had become accomplished fliers, were no longer fattened up, and consequently much faster in the air.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
What country do pheasants originate from ???

I think I remember reading the Normans bringing them over with them.

What I do know is, that it is illegal to eat your own road kill. Another car must hit it before you are allowed to eat it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Yep. I have seen for myself. I mistook the young birds for Partridges.

The only thing conceivably wrong with Pheasant breeding on the downs is that scrub is encouraged and it can take over ruining butterfly habitats for good. Pheasants are better taste than farm bred chicken, but some more expensive chicken tastes better.

In season during the winter only. I buy the breasts at the Farmer's Market. Price keeps on creeping up. Cook and eat like Chicken.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
I think I remember reading the Normans bringing them over with them.

What I do know is, that it is illegal to eat your own road kill. Another car must hit it before you are allowed to eat it.

Pheasants orginally are from China - i think the Romans introduced them to Europe

If you do find yourself in a situation of pheasant / car interaction then strandle it (bird beteeen the wheels) when it goes dark the bird will "fly" up and result in a nice clean head kill - for the following car to have

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here