Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Petrol and diesel £2 per litre by the end of the year?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
What the betting that the hikes in the prices of goods on the shelves due to all of this won't go back down, as the cost of fuel does?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What the betting that the hikes in the prices of goods on the shelves due to all of this won't go back down, as the cost of fuel does?

supermarkets are pretty competitive and will cut prices where they can. depends a lot on input costs, commodities will fall but wages and services tend not to, so those cost stay. reckon own brand will soften, more likely see prices hold for a while.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've noticed on my drive between Uckfield and Brighton that only one station, BP in Lewes, went over the £199.9 mark for diesel. Petrol on the other hand kept creeping up by 2 or 3 pence weekly. Is that £2 mark something they wont go over as it looks bad on the signage at the entrance, but at the same time knowing we will still pay whatever they charge us under that £2 mark.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
supermarkets are pretty competitive and will cut prices where they can. depends a lot on input costs, commodities will fall but wages and services tend not to, so those cost stay. reckon own brand will soften, more likely see prices hold for a while.

The company I work for has pushed through a slew of CPI's on the goods we produce, and there's more to come too. All of them have been in the +20%-30% range. In the years I've worked there, I've never known a reduction. Whilst the supermarkets may want to be competitive, they will always have to push back against suppliers. As we saw with Heinz v Tesco, they are not always successful. With own brand stuff, we saw quite a few own brand products disappear from the shelves as their availablity and reliability of supply diminished due to covid, material shortages etc etc. Once they've gone, it's not so easy to turn the taps back on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here