Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petition: Hold public inquiry into West Ham & LLDC deal for rental of Olympic Stadium

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Wow! Some people have very short memories. Wasn't many moons ago we were asking the whole of the country to write to every Tom, Dick and Harry in support of our quest for a new ground because it was OF NATIONAL IMPORTANCE now you're all backing a campaign to try and put road blocks in front of another side moving to a new ground. Would you rather the Olympic Stadium just becomes a white elephant used once in a blue moon for a concert or for a couple of thousand people to watch an athletics meeting?

I appreciate that most peoples gripes will be on the amount of money the taxpayer is having to fork out for this. But they are the same taxpayers that paid for the thing to be built in the first place. The olympics was a great success so everyone seems to have forgotten about that. I was down there the other week and it's basically been turned into a glorified fun fare for the summer (you know the crap ones that turn up for a week in a town and charge you £4 to go on a shit ride). Last summer it was used as a cinema. I personally would much rather it be used for sporting purposes and the only sport that could support the running of the site is football.

The whole Orient argument is bollocks as well and was just a way of Barry Hearn raising the profile of himself and his then club. It seems every week West Ham are advertising in the Evening Standard with ticket deals now so having them play maybe a mile or two closer than they are already are isn't going to have the slightest affect on who goes through the turnstile at Brisbaine Road.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
My best friend is a west ham supporter and I like west ham.

So no way an I going to sign that 'sour grapes' bollox petition.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Oh - btw - living in London I paid for the f***** stadium to be built, unlike people outside London.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They are only renting the place, they'll never own it. Would anyone here expect to pay the market rate to move into a rented house ?

Don't blame West Ham. Blame Newham Council and the whole vanity project to build an enormous white elephant to host three weeks worth of running and jumping, with no viable legacy for it afterwards.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Wow! Some people have very short memories. Wasn't many moons ago we were asking the whole of the country to write to every Tom, Dick and Harry in support of our quest for a new ground because it was OF NATIONAL IMPORTANCE now you're all backing a campaign to try and put road blocks in front of another side moving to a new ground. Would you rather the Olympic Stadium just becomes a white elephant used once in a blue moon for a concert or for a couple of thousand people to watch an athletics meeting?

The 'write to every Tom, Dick and Harry' for support is nothing like West Ham's situation. The Albion have had to pay for its stadium. As have Arsenal, Tottenham, and every other club (possible exception Man City).

West Ham are robbing the tax payers of London and the UK and whilst doing so appear to be gaining an unfair advantage over other clubs. The money they get from selling Upton Park should be going to help fund the conversion. Their Sky money-the same! They want the Olympic Stadium-bloody well pay for it.

I don't think anybody is looking to block their move-merely wanting them to fund it themselves.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
edit

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

I appreciate that most peoples gripes will be on the amount of money the taxpayer is having to fork out for this. But they are the same taxpayers that paid for the thing to be built in the first place. The olympics was a great success so everyone seems to have forgotten about that. I was down there the other week and it's basically been turned into a glorified fun fare for the summer (you know the crap ones that turn up for a week in a town and charge you £4 to go on a shit ride). Last summer it was used as a cinema. I personally would much rather it be used for sporting purposes and the only sport that could support the running of the site is football.

The whole Orient argument is bollocks as well and was just a way of Barry Hearn raising the profile of himself and his then club. It seems every week West Ham are advertising in the Evening Standard with ticket deals now so having them play maybe a mile or two closer than they are already are isn't going to have the slightest affect on who goes through the turnstile at Brisbaine Road.

Agree with this. The biggest **** up was not designing the stadium with future usage in mind, either like Eastlands or the Stade De France.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wow! Some people have very short memories. Wasn't many moons ago we were asking the whole of the country to write to every Tom, Dick and Harry in support of our quest for a new ground

The difference is that West Ham already had a ground; we didn't

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This whole saga is comedic. First they build a stadium with no idea of it's legacy and don't future proof it. Then Spurs, in all seriousness, propose knocking it down and rebuilding it. Now a cash rich Premier League club gets the tax payer to pay for the convert. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The 'write to every Tom, Dick and Harry' for support is nothing like West Ham's situation. The Albion have had to pay for its stadium. As have Arsenal, Tottenham, and every other club (possible exception Man City).

West Ham are robbing the tax payers of London and the UK and whilst doing so appear to be gaining an unfair advantage over other clubs. The money they get from selling Upton Park should be going to help fund the conversion. Their Sky money-the same! They want the Olympic Stadium-bloody well pay for it.

I don't think anybody is looking to block their move-merely wanting them to fund it themselves.

No they are not, they are making sure that the tax payer gets some sort of return on what would otherwise have been a white elephant with the ALL the cash gone down the swanny as an empty stadium became the most expensive tumbleweed emporium in the country.

This is all the result of Seb Coe and LoCog refusing to countenance a football tenant in the initial planning and design of the stadium. They should have followed the Commonwealth Games example of its co-operation with Man City and had the whole thing sorted from the outset. Despite the pathetic bleatings of Barry Hearn West Ham were the obvious choice as the stadium is within their home borough of Newham. The Hammers do have a good deal, but their tenancy enables the stadium to stay open with a large capacity and the ability to hold major athletics events and concerts etc which also bring in money.

If Hearn really wanted the stadium he could have had it in it's initially planned reduced form of around 20,000 but he turned it down. The man was and is still a complete tool.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
I must be the only one who thinks this is a bad deal for West Ham in the long term.

They become tenants rather than owning their own stadium, and pocket just 70 million for their current ground, which is less than 1 years PL TV money.

And is the Olympic stadium actually well designed for football? The seats behind the goals must be pretty grim behind the running track.

It'll end in tears.

I ran a 10k race whch finished in the Olympic stadium a few weeks back and I can confirm that there are already a few tiers.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

The long memory thing counts for nothing though. We fans, through no fault of our own, found our club homeless and skint. We were fortunate enough to later discover that we had a very wealthy benefactor and so never had to ask the taxpayer to dig deep on our behalf. West Ham are neither skint or homeless, they will not be required to use the money raised from the sale of the Boleyn Ground to pay for any of the alteration to the Olympic Stadium, they will not even have to pay for the security FFS! Talk about landing on your feet!

And so, West Ham with a new, shiny bigger ground attracting bigger crowds so boosting their coffers further, able to invest in a higher quality playing staff with their capital gains from the sale of their old ground, aiming to compete with likes of Chelsea and Arsenal will have no effect upon Leyton Orient? Which fairytale do you live in again?

Let West Ham have the stadium, but at further ongoing cost to the taxpayer? Nah.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It does seem like West Ham are getting a good deal. But what else is going to happen to this Stadium?

As other had said they should have thought about what it was going to be used for after the Olympics when they designed it. Then the cost of the conversion would have been a lot less.

If I was a West Ham fan I would be happy to stay where they are, it is an old but great ground. Now they go from owning their own to renting a ground with a running track round it. Also after all the campaigning we did (I know very different circumstances) it does not sit well with me to try and jeopardise another team stadium move.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
West Ham are neither skint or homeless, they will not be required to use the money raised from the sale of the Boleyn Ground to pay for any of the alteration to the Olympic Stadium, they will not even have to pay for the security FFS! Talk about landing on your feet!

And so, West Ham with a new, shiny bigger ground attracting bigger crowds so boosting their coffers further, able to invest in a higher quality playing staff with their capital gains from the sale of their old ground, aiming to compete with likes of Chelsea and Arsenal will have no effect upon Leyton Orient? Which fairytale do you live in again?

Let West Ham have the stadium, but at further ongoing cost to the taxpayer? Nah.

What would be your alternative proposal for the future of the Olympic Stadium ?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It does seem like West Ham are getting a good deal. But what else is going to happen to this Stadium?

As other had said they should have thought about what it was going to be used for after the Olympics when they designed it. Then the cost of the conversion would have been a lot less.

If I was a West Ham fan I would be happy to stay where they are, it is an old but great ground. Now they go from owning their own to renting a ground with a running track round it. Also after all the campaigning we did (I know very different circumstances) it does not sit well with me to try and jeopardise another team stadium move.

People aren't trying to jeopardise the move. They want to see a cash rich Premier League club pay for its move. All they'll have to do is pay their rent and a few other 'tiny' bills. Their running costs will be tiny compared to The Albion's (player's wages excluded) while their income is massive. Something very wrong with this 'deal'.

The Olympic Stadium, as part of the Olympics was the centrepiece for a 4 year plus advertising campaign for GB PLC. Even if it were knocked down it more than covered its costs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here