Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Ward Is Magic

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Before my time. Clearly a very good player. The standard then was nothing like it is now, was it? He'd never get that kind of space and time on the ball in today's game. Terrible defending in most of those clips.

The standard looked poor because he often nipped in when defenders got sloppy. He would still score plenty of goals in today's football trust me.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have watched BHAFC for 40 years and Peter Ward is the best player for BHAFC in that time and that is a FACT.

The only player that gave me THAT buzz when he picked the ball up since was Vicente.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The standard looked poor because he often nipped in when defenders got sloppy. He would still score plenty of goals in today's football trust me.

He'd get plenty of goals because he'd be fitter, stronger and more technical than he was in those days, same as today's defenders. But watching those clips I can't help but notice how bad the defending is, today's side would run rings around those teams (well OK, not today's side, but the side we had in May).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Wardy was by far is the most popular player ever to wear the stripes, however Lawro was the most talented. fACT. ,

Despite me a Wardy fan through and through (what boy doesn't love a striker who nets so often?), in the cold light of day, it's hard to argue with this statement.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
He'd get plenty of goals because he'd be fitter, stronger and more technical than he was in those days, same as today's defenders. But watching those clips I can't help but notice how bad the defending is, today's side would run rings around those teams (well OK, not today's side, but the side we had in May).

Of course the defending looked back, as it was edited to showcase the goals and near-misses!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
One of our top strikers ever...CMS running but Messi scoring....Lawro was great but to me best player ever in stripes which many of you never saw was the 'tragic' Barry Rees...if only....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe not the best in terms of overall achievement in his career, but without doubt the most exciting Albion player I have seen. As said elsewhere in this thread the only player who has been comparable since, for off your seat thrills, was Vicente in form in his 1st year here. That run and the shot that hit the bar against Derby being very Wardesque

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Ah Sully. Easy to forget all those valuable assists towards Ward's goals and do some of those feints from the little Welsh wizard not have a hint of Vicente about them...or am I getting carried away?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Wardy was my favourite Albion player by a mile.Only those who had the privilege of watching him can understand the buzz of excitement that went around the ground when he had the ball.
The defending may appear poor in places but Wardy actually made good defenders look like shite when he was on a run......many defenders literally ending up on their arses.
Not sure that May's side would necessarily run rings round those teams though;but I do reckon that the team we won promotion to the old division 1 in 1979 would have been far too strong for our team of May 2013.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'be been watching BHAFC for 44 years, and its Willie Irvine for me, any day ;-)

(not really - for me its Bobby Zamora - sorry Wardy!).

I can remember the singing around the Goldstone like it was yesterday "He's shot, he's scored, it must be Peter Ward..............Peter Ward...............Peter Ward" and the great crowd surges in the North Stand - just brilliant as a young teenager.

As for the man himself - class will always be class - he had a great first touch, could dribble, use either foot and had great vision - trust me he would still do very well today.

He was part of a great team and will always be an Albion Legend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here