Peter Alliss says fight for women’s rights in golf has ‘caused mayhem’

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He's a man of his time. A time when sexism, casual racism and homophobia were not only acceptable, but expected in people.

It's time they pensioned him off.His time has passed.

Pathetic and undeserved response to a man who has championed women's rights in golf. Perhaps you should do your research a bit more thoroughly next time, rather than troll out this modernist claptrap that men of his generation were sexist, racist and homophobic.
Open your eyes and take a look around you........

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Alliss is a commentary bore who uses the box as his personal fiefdom rather than describe the action in front of him - I cant abide his style. He has also brushed with racism (He described the press as making a mountain out of a molehill after Garcia said the comment along the lines of Woods eating fried chicken 'or whatever they eat') as well as his 'Unless you end up like that' comment about someone in a wheelchair.

That said, he has been consistent with the women in golf club thing. Whether he would tell you what he really thinks in the 19th hole after a few G & T's is another matter.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He's a man of his time. A time when sexism, casual racism and homophobia were not only acceptable, but expected in people.

It's time they pensioned him off.His time has passed.

I had the 'pleasure' of spending 4 days playing golf with him 15 years ago .... he was past his time then!

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
Fair enough.

He's just haveing his views.

I enjoy listening to Peter Allis but his views on women are old fashioned and out of time. Of course women, and everyone else who has been prejudiced against in the past, should have equal access and equal rights. Golf has a huge problem in terms of declining numbers partly due to the perception of it as a game for boring pompous old buffers and partly because it no longer fits todays lifestyles. It needs to drop all those silly dress codes in the clubhouse and probably introduce a shorter version of the game as cricket has done. Then younger people may have the time and inclination to play. Otherwise I suspect it is in major decline at least in the UK

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
P
I enjoy listening to Peter Allis but his views on women are old fashioned and out of time. Of course women, and everyone else who has been prejudiced against in the past, should have equal access and equal rights. Golf has a huge problem in terms of declining numbers partly due to the perception of it as a game for boring pompous old buffers and partly because it no longer fits todays lifestyles. It needs to drop all those silly dress codes in the clubhouse and probably introduce a shorter version of the game as cricket has done. Then younger people may have the time and inclinationto play. Otherwise I suspect it is in major decline at least in the UK
I think that's already been invented.

Pitch and putt?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Golf has a huge problem in terms of declining numbers partly due to the perception of it as a game for boring pompous old buffers and partly because it no longer fits todays lifestyles. It needs to drop all those silly dress codes in the clubhouse and probably introduce a shorter version of the game as cricket has done. Then younger people may have the time and inclination to play. Otherwise I suspect it is in major decline at least in the UK

Very much this. My golf club is full of old gits who are obsessed with dress code. I gave up membership when I got chastised for wearing shorts with pockets in them :shrug: The reaction I got when I failed to take my baseball cap off in the clubhouse was like I'd shot someone's gran.

My favourite though was one old fart, with no hint of irony, complaining that modern kids and their use of language was 'F cuking awful'

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Very much this. My golf club is full of old gits who are obsessed with dress code. I gave up membership when I got chastised for wearing shorts with pockets in them :shrug: The reaction I got when I failed to take my baseball cap off in the clubhouse was like I'd shot someone's gran.

My favourite though was one old fart, with no hint of irony, complaining that modern kids and their use of language was 'F cuking awful'

I'm an oldish bloke and probably fart [in private] more than I should and yeah, I feel the same about golf clubs and members. Had the bug for a couple of decades up till about 10 years ago but just found it too time consuming, petty and expensive. Sometimes miss it but won't rush back. It's a palaver!

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Alliss is a commentary bore who uses the box as his personal fiefdom rather than describe the action in front of him - I cant abide his style. He has also brushed with racism (He described the press as making a mountain out of a molehill after Garcia said the comment along the lines of Woods eating fried chicken 'or whatever they eat') as well as his 'Unless you end up like that' comment about someone in a wheelchair.

That said, he has been consistent with the women in golf club thing. Whether he would tell you what he really thinks in the 19th hole after a few G & T's is another matter.

This sums up how he comes across to me.

Golf has an image of being the preserve of white, heterosexual, pompous men, and he fits this stereotype quite well. Yes, he has championed the rights of women golfers, but these comments don't really help. The 'wives' of members don't like the changes, but what about single women with no pre-attachment to the clubs? And surely, it is how the clubs have chosen to price membership that is the problem - something he has chosen not to comment on?

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I enjoy listening to Peter Allis but his views on women are old fashioned and out of time. Of course women, and everyone else who has been prejudiced against in the past, should have equal access and equal rights. Golf has a huge problem in terms of declining numbers partly due to the perception of it as a game for boring pompous old buffers and partly because it no longer fits todays lifestyles. It needs to drop all those silly dress codes in the clubhouse and probably introduce a shorter version of the game as cricket has done. Then younger people may have the time and inclination to play. Otherwise I suspect it is in major decline at least in the UK

Try FootGolf - there's a course at Waterhall:

http://www.ukfootgolf.com/waterhall/4588159162

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Pretty much the same reason I don't play at all anymore, even the brand new (greenfield site, hotel built so no club coming with it) course that opened nearby when I was 16 somehow developed a nasty old boys network within about six months.

Someone I was in school with and would play a round with occasionally - until such time as my terrible game was holding him back - is now a Pro at another course and would play in the Irish Open etc and yet is actually banned from one of its potential venues for "egregious breaches of dresscode" - from memory he was seen wearing jeans in to the changing room once. Not even on course. That'll be a year he sits it out...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

It's fair enough if Peter Alliss isn't your cup of tea, but it is possible for "equal access and equal rights" to occasionally disadvantage all parties, as in this case.

As for golf having huge problems, the sport is awash with cash, it is truly global, the standard is incredibly high and this weekend's Master promises to be a sporting treat. As for golf not fitting today's lifestyles you can play anything from crazy golf, pitch and putt, going down the driving range, play 9 holes or a full round. I'd say there's something there for everyone.

And what's the problem with a dress code? It is the maintenance of high standards that gives the sport a universal integrity the like of which football can only dream of.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My old club (Haywards Heath) had a large ladies section

I think a special section just for the fat girls is a great idea.

Yet people still persist in saying golf clubs are non-inclusive and sexist :nono:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

So so far off the truth.

http://www.peterallissmasters.org/pages.php/index.html

He doesn't just put his name to these charities but travels the length and breadth of the UK organizing the events first hand.

You picked on the wrong person here.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You have the wrong end of the stick, or club you might say. The woman head of the women's PGA was on the radio this morning confirming his views are absolutely correct. I suspect she would know better than you whether what he says is old fashioned or out of time.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I'm very keen on Peter Allis. Women should ideally remain in the kitchen and be available for bedroom duties at night. It's impossible to play golf unless you have the correct equipment. I don't have a problem with the people of colour attempting to play golf but I think they might be better suited to physical aspects of being a caddy. I am not a racist . Some of my best employees are people of colour and are happy to work for less the minimum wage. Of course it was the minimum wage which caused the financial crisis.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Pathetic and undeserved response to a man who has championed women's rights in golf. Perhaps you should do your research a bit more thoroughly next time, rather than troll out this modernist claptrap that men of his generation were sexist, racist and homophobic.
Open your eyes and take a look around you........

People in the past were stupid. Especially if they were a bit square. Not like us brilliant new generation with our better ideas on everything.

One of the most messed up things about our culture is the lack of respect for age and the assumption that we are on one direct path of improvement in terms of our cultural norms.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

If a shorter version of the game is the future then why arent roedean and rottingdean hosting pga tournaments. That would be excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports