Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pete Winkelman being a knob (again)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
BBC Sport - MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon: Winkelman not proud of origin

MK Dons chairman Pete Winkelman says he is not proud of uprooting Wimbledon and admits it was a "bad decision".

The history of MK's conception has come under the spotlight once again after they were drawn to face breakaway club AFC Wimbledon in the FA Cup.

It has been 10 years since the process of moving Wimbledon to Milton Keynes began and fans set up AFC in response.

"I'm not proud of the way this club came into being," Winkelman told BBC Three Counties Radio.

"It's very hard for me to live with that. It's possibly a little bit more personal for me than anyone else."

Winkelman was involved in their move to Milton Keynes and led a consortium that bought Wimbledon from Norwegian owners in 2004, one year after the move.

The move angered Wimbledon fans and was opposed by the Football Association, but was given the go-ahead by an independent panel.

Winkelman has faced criticism from not only AFC fans but football supporters in general for taking a club from their home.

But he has claimed Wimbledon, who were in administration when he completed his takeover, would have died had the move not happened.

"To most people in football the way they imagine it happened is so different to the way that it actually did," he said.

"It wasn't the big Norwegian billionaire owners who moved the club to Milton Keynes. It was an administrator who said 'I'm going liquidate the club tomorrow unless you come up with the money to keep it going'.

"The only way I could come up with the money to keep it going was to move it to Milton Keynes.

"For the first seven weeks of that administration we did nothing. I will never understand why AFC Wimbledon did not buy their club. That's the bit that always confuses me.

"Since we made the decision I've tried to make a bad decision a good decision by the things we have gone on to do."

In that time AFC have climbed from the ninth tier of English football to League Two, one division below MK.

"I want to be the first to admit the incredible adventure AFC Wimbledon have had. They've put fan-owned clubs on the agenda," said Winkelman.

"We'll never be friends but we are related and I hope we can have a good family get-together."

Some AFC supporters have suggested they will not attend the second-round match between the teams at Stadium MK on 2 December, so as not to give funds to a club they believe should not exist.

"They do have a history of boycotting their team. So I wouldn't be surprised," said Winkelman.

"I remember when we first talked about the move - quite rightly they were upset and made some fantastic protests.

"But one protest I didn't agree with was turning their back on their team. It was never the team's or the players' fault. And it's not the team or players' fault now and I don't understand why they would need to suffer.

"The AFC Wimbledon team that comes here will need every bit of support they can be given to give them the best chance of succeeding on the day."

I suggest he reads the Wiki story of the move to MK to re-acquaint himself with what really happened!
Starting in 2000, the Milton Keynes Stadium Consortium, led by Pete Winkelman, proposed a Football League-standard ground in Milton Keynes, partly funded by an attached retail development. This stadium site was offered to Luton, Wimbledon, Barnet, Crystal Palace and Queens Park Rangers. None of these clubs was interested at first, but the introduction of a new chairman at Wimbledon, Charles Koppel, led to more receptive talks. These ultimately led to the club moving to Milton Keynes with the intent of playing on Winkelman's proposed site. It was in financial administration when it did so, and remained in this state until Winkelman bought it in 2004.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Another interesting bit of research that makes Winkelman's version of the story less likely:

Permission to move Wimbledon FC to Milton Keynes had been given on 28 May 2002, resulting in the formation of AFC Wimbledon.

During the 2002–03 season, Wimbledon F.C.'s last full term at Selhurst Park (and AFC Wimbledon's first season in existence), attendances at Wimbledon F.C. matches fell below those at Kingsmeadow, possibly due to the fact that a number of local fans were now following AFC Wimbledon instead. Wimbledon F.C.'s resultant lower income contributed to the club entering administration in June 2003. A month later, the largest football team in Milton Keynes, Milton Keynes City, went out of business, unable to secure the investment it required to continue.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Come on AFC please beat the franchise fakes.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps no AFC fans should attend, and the team should take to the pitch, but it protest refuse to touch the ball.

The alternative is that AFC take a large following but all camp outside the ground and listen to the game on 5Live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here