Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Perspective

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I get where the OP is coming from as there does seem to be a whiff of we should be beating #TeamsLikeForest in the air from some quarters. Not most, but there's a little bit here and there.

But largely, yes, there's a fair bit of disappointment out there, which I'm certainly feeling right now. Turns out five days is a long time in football - it feels like it could all come crumbling down now, but the good news is we have three home games on the bounce to get things back on track.

(And although we have no divine right to beat Forest, despite being below par we still did enough to win that game 7 times out of 10. Spurning golden chances came back to bite us on the arse once again. We should be used to that right now.)
Mitoma took that chance early second half and I’d wager it would have been a different result

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Forgive me for starting a thread about it, but I have worries of an emerging entitlement among some of our supporters. It seems to be creeping in, and it is a worry when you consider all we have been through to get to this point. The one thing I’ve rarely found among our supporters is ‘entitlement’. It’s something I expect, perhaps, to see among big six plastics. But not us. Then again, perhaps it is less entitlement and more unrealistic expectations. Or perhaps both.

Some say the squad does not have enough depth. This is a statement without context. By which standard are we measuring depth ? At present we are 8th in one of the top leagues in the world, but running one of the lowest budgets in that league. The depth of the squad should, in theory, reflect the budget. So by such a standard we are succeeding. But it would seem that the question of depth therefore defaults to comparison with the clubs above. All of those clubs have considerably more resources than us, Villa being the anomaly, perhaps, but they have spent hugely- something Albion are sensibly uninclined to do. Albion don’t do that because they look at the future as well as the present.

So some might then suggest a ceiling has been hit. In some senses it has. There are seven/eight clubs in this league that we will never match. A couple more that also have more muscle. But with clever planning and wise recruiting we may be able to do some damage. When Tony Bloom said the goal was to develop a top ten Premier League team he did so because he believed it was achievable. Even that might seem a bit fantastic as it meant outwitting teams such as Everton, Southampton, West Ham and Leicester City. Yet Albion have done it-again.

So not qualifying for Europe, IF that was an outcome (and we are still in a strong position there) would not mean the season ending in disaster. It would mean the season ending with some disappointment, perhaps. But what a thing to feel disappointment for.

Just 15 years ago we were fighting relegation to the fourth division, now we are nervous that we might miss out on Europe. It’s a wonderful time to be an Albion fan. All this, to be truly enjoyed, needs perspective. Right now Leeds United, Everton, Southampton and Leicester City are fighting relegation. 15 years ago we wouldn’t have seen that pitted against our current position.

My boss is a Leeds United fan, Yorkshire born and bred. we frequently talk football and they constantly wow over happenings at Brighton. It seems that sometimes it takes them to remind me how far Albion have come rather than some of my fellow fans.

So when we lose 3-1 after a jaded performance at a club who were once European giants and somehow spent twenty years in the wilderness, we should remember that they are fighting to hold a position we have already established and remind ourselves how we have ‘never had it so good’. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of disappointment, but everything that has happened to our club in the last 15 years, and what many of us fought for in the bad old days has still come to fruition regardless. Think of that and any disappointment will soon be gone.

Perspective.
This.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Excellent. Another where we we x years ago thread. Isn’t it time to realise that we are past that now.
When people stop going into an existential crisis after one shit game, yes.

And 'past that'? Really? We have had one semi decent season. Ever. Ever ever. That was last season. And some people now think we should be winning every game against teams like Forest. And shit the bed when we don't. Looking for 'reasons'.

Well, f*** me. If you need to win every game, and need a written explanation from the CEO if we don't, go follow a state-owned club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Agree with the OP on just about everything.

I would suggest there is an emotional response that could easily be mistaken for entitlement. I’m really quite pained at the thought this wonderful team might ultimately come away with nothing concrete to show for their efforts. No silverware and possibly no European place. I genuinely believe they deserve better and it upsets me to think the opportunity might pass them by.

In that context, I don’t think it’s entitled to be talking of Europe but to be talking about Europe could be construed as entitlement.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
There are seven mega clubs in this league now:

Manchester City Arsenal Manchester United Tottenham Hotspur Chelsea Newcastle United Liverpool

We will not make a step into that group on any permanent basis.

Not that long ago, if someone had said that in a few years' time we'd be playing in the Premier League in front of 30,000 fans, contending for a place in Europe, people would have thought that was inconceivable, but now it's reality.

We are already probably better than at least 3 of those teams, and at least the equal of one of them. (We're definitely not as good as one of them, most probably not as good as another one of them, and the remaining one of them I'm not sure about). With our games in hand and the points VAR/refs have stolen from us, our 49 points would go up to about 60, and RDZ has only been with us since September. Let's see what happens.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Forgive me for starting a thread about it, but I have worries of an emerging entitlement among some of our supporters. It seems to be creeping in, and it is a worry when you consider all we have been through to get to this point. The one thing I’ve rarely found among our supporters is ‘entitlement’. It’s something I expect, perhaps, to see among big six plastics. But not us. Then again, perhaps it is less entitlement and more unrealistic expectations. Or perhaps both.

Some say the squad does not have enough depth. This is a statement without context. By which standard are we measuring depth ? At present we are 8th in one of the top leagues in the world, but running one of the lowest budgets in that league. The depth of the squad should, in theory, reflect the budget. So by such a standard we are succeeding. But it would seem that the question of depth therefore defaults to comparison with the clubs above. All of those clubs have considerably more resources than us, Villa being the anomaly, perhaps, but they have spent hugely- something Albion are sensibly uninclined to do. Albion don’t do that because they look at the future as well as the present.

So some might then suggest a ceiling has been hit. In some senses it has. There are seven/eight clubs in this league that we will never match. A couple more that also have more muscle. But with clever planning and wise recruiting we may be able to do some damage. When Tony Bloom said the goal was to develop a top ten Premier League team he did so because he believed it was achievable. Even that might seem a bit fantastic as it meant outwitting teams such as Everton, Southampton, West Ham and Leicester City. Yet Albion have done it-again.

So not qualifying for Europe, IF that was an outcome (and we are still in a strong position there) would not mean the season ending in disaster. It would mean the season ending with some disappointment, perhaps. But what a thing to feel disappointment for.

Just 15 years ago we were fighting relegation to the fourth division, now we are nervous that we might miss out on Europe. It’s a wonderful time to be an Albion fan. All this, to be truly enjoyed, needs perspective. Right now Leeds United, Everton, Southampton and Leicester City are fighting relegation. 15 years ago we wouldn’t have seen that pitted against our current position.

My boss is a Leeds United fan, Yorkshire born and bred. we frequently talk football and they constantly wow over happenings at Brighton. It seems that sometimes it takes them to remind me how far Albion have come rather than some of my fellow fans.

So when we lose 3-1 after a jaded performance at a club who were once European giants and somehow spent twenty years in the wilderness, we should remember that they are fighting to hold a position we have already established and remind ourselves how we have ‘never had it so good’. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of disappointment, but everything that has happened to our club in the last 15 years, and what many of us fought for in the bad old days has still come to fruition regardless. Think of that and any disappointment will soon be gone.

Perspective.
Whilst of course you are right I would say we can’t keep reverting to the past in an attempt to make us feel better about the present. 👍

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think entitlement needs to be defined. It gets thrown about quite a bit.

The clubs stated aim as said by Bloom and Barber is to be a top half club. RDZ and the players have openly talked about qualifying for Europe.

I think it's fair within that context to discuss our chances good or bad of that and to be disappointed if things don't fall our way in pursuit of it this season.

We don't need the extra context of Doncaster/Hereford/the loss of the goldstone/Gillingham for extra context for this season's potential success. That history is for the bigger picture context.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This exact sequence of threads plays out quite often.

Team does well, everyone goes yay
Team hits a blip, some express disappointment, others say get a grip, at least it isn't the mid-to-late 90s

Personally I think last night was pretty poor by our recent standards. But I'm also able to see that Forest had us pegged and I'm perfectly happy to finish anywhere above the relegation spots :shrug:

To quote some guy who used to work at the club: it is what it is.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, it's time to realise that the next step is not a step we can make financially. There are seven mega clubs in this league now:

Manchester City
Arsenal
Manchester United
Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea
Newcastle United
Liverpool

We will not make a step into that group on any permanent basis. But, by being clever, we can cause them problems. And we are being clever. Like this season (which is still presenting an opportunity)
And West Ham are right on the edge of that list having spent nearly £600m over 5 years.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Re the OP, I think he/she has missed the point that fans are simply disappointed that we've been looking great for Europe for much of the season and now it appears to be potentially slipping away. Whatever our past/recent history is as a club, that's disappointing. I don't see any entitlement whatsoever from fans. No-one expects us to be in Europe. That's just silly.

Football/sport allows us to forget work and the tedious aspects of life and to vent, to debate, to discuss and to disagree - it's all part of being a fan. Just because we're in an amazing place as a club at the moment (I don't think anyone has lost sight of the overall picture) it doesn't mean we can't be deflated when we lose and vent/ debate/discuss what went wrong.. I agree some go over the top but go on any fan's forum up and down the country and you'll find the same when they lose with some more rational/some less rational/a few it's the end of the world.

No-one expected Arsenal to be challenging for the title this season but how do you reckon their fans are feeling this morning - even the most rational?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think entitlement needs to be defined. It gets thrown about quite a bit.

The clubs stated aim as said by Bloom and Barber is to be a top half club. RDZ and the players have openly talked about qualifying for Europe.

I think it's fair within that context to discuss our chances good or bad of that and to be disappointed if things don't fall our way in pursuit of it this season.

We don't need the extra context of Doncaster/Hereford/the loss of the goldstone/Gillingham for extra context for this season's potential success. That history is for the bigger picture context.
To blame the ‘operational model’ of the club, not buying enough players, not spending enough on a top striker etc. is where the entitlement comes on.

Disappointment is one thing, but blaming a hugely successful running of the club is quite another.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Agree with the OP on just about everything.

I would suggest there is an emotional response that could easily be mistaken for entitlement. I’m really quite pained at the thought this wonderful team might ultimately come away with nothing concrete to show for their efforts. No silverware and possibly no European place. I genuinely believe they deserve better and it upsets me to think the opportunity might pass them by.

In that context, I don’t think it’s entitled to be talking of Europe but to be talking about Europe could be construed as entitlement.
This 100%. I feel a bit gutted this morning not because I feel we should be in Europe but for exactly the reason you mentioned. Plus the fact we probably won't have a better chance what with spurs, Liverpool and especially Chelsea being pretty bang average/terrible most of the season. That won't happen again I'm sure! It's disappointing because we've played better than them all season - media everywhere has been crowing about us and how good our football is. Our stats are amazing. To come away with absolutely nothing to show for it would be pretty disappointing. But, it's still in our hands if we can pick up points needed in our games in hand, however possibly unlikely that looks what with tiredness/squad depth... 🙏

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We are playing the best football we have ever played. Last night was a bad day at the office.
it wasn’t as bad as Liverpool 7 Man Utd 0.
We have had some bad luck and bad decisions and bad luck go against us - PGMOL apologies.
We have a lot of players injured at the moment - that’s life, but maybe even a slightly bigger squad would make a difference.
Whatever happens, this is still our best ever season by a long way!!!
Still quite possible to qualify for Europe, but if we don’t, it won’t be the end of the world!
I’m quite happy with it all - and no reason why we shouldn’t do even better next season! Then again, maybe we won’t.
it‘s a funny old game, football

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There have been an increasing number of threads and posts expressing the view that Tony’s business model needs to be changed to one of big six spending. That’s entitlement, so yes I agree with the OP to an extent. That said, those views are only a snapshot of NSC, which is itself just a snapshot of the Albion support. I don’t think anybody really knows the general feeling amongst fans. I do think that expectations on here are too high. There have been some posts about RDZ that I have thought ridiculous. He is being deified in a similar way that Potter was. I love his style of football but it comes with risk. So far it has never delivered trophies or sustained success so imo it is ridiculous to do anymore than hope it will.

Last edited:

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I think the atmosphere at the city ground gave their players the strength to get all three point, we were stretching them ragged at times, but second half for some reason we tried working it through the middle all the time, they filled the middle and stole the ball back. We didn't get it out wide early enough. The Colwill was out of his depth.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
To blame the ‘operational model’ of the club, not buying enough players, not spending enough on a top striker etc. is where the entitlement comes on.

Disappointment is one thing, but blaming a hugely successful running of the club is quite another.
Are people blaming the running of the club? Are people saying we should change how we run the club? Genuine questions. I've not trawled through all the threads.

I know there is a thread titled something along the lines of 'lack of depth will cost us'. It's a view point I have some sympathy with. We've lost, and not replaced, three senior players this season - Bissouma, Mwepu and Trossard.

Bissouma and Trossard have been replaced in the team by Caicedo and Mitoma but their place in the squad hasn't. If we still had all three of those players I am convinced not only would we have more points but we'd be in the top four.

So in that sense I think it's fair to say that a lack of depth is hurting us in the context of a European push. In the larger context of what our club is historically and where we were 25 years ago it's incredible to be able to say we lack depth when we have teenage Paraguayan, Argentinian and Swedish internationals on the bench.

In the big picture arc of history it's mind blowing where we're at. Likewise it's o.k to be disappointed if we fall short of Europe when you consider our history. It's undreamed of success and might not come around again. I don't think that constitutes entitlement.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Excellent. Another where we we x years ago thread. Isn’t it time to realise that we are past that now.
We aren’t though. It is the reality being lived by most football clubs. It is a reality only a few missteps away from our club. One and a half seasons of relative success doesn’t change that. Perhaps the entitlement being referred to by the OP is exactly this view that somehow we are now Manchester Utd or Chelsea. We aren’t. We can be Derby or Hartlepool once again because most clubs are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here