Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Personal 'orrible haircuts .

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
May well have been one of the last ever customers for Coopers For Haircuts in Baker Street, sometime early nineties. He was always highly eccentric to the point of being seriously scary. Due to my normal barber having a queue on a Saturday, I decided to risk it. Big mistake. He was dressed in slippers and bathrobe, looked mightily like Uncle Fester out of the Addams Family who'd let himself go. Cats ran everywhere. Bowls of stinky cat food lay all over the floor. I've no idea whatsoever why I didn't bail out at that point. So I let him do his thing. The results were suitably appalling. Got a photo of the haircut abomination somewhere. Tho not yet ready to share it. And possibly never will be. Suffice to say he charged me £1.50, I gave him a fiver, told him to keep the change and ran screaming into the light. About a month later, the council closed him down.

I remember him ... can't believe so long ago. He had pictures of film stars like Tony Curtis on the walls, but only did one haircut, could always spot a victim! Was usually a mangy cat sprawled in the window. You're lucky you didn't get blood poisoning and you were ripped off, usually charged a £1.00 ..... not that I went there myself!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I remember him ... can't believe so long ago. He had pictures of film stars like Tony Curtis on the walls, but only did one haircut, could always spot a victim! Was usually a mangy cat sprawled in the window. You're lucky you didn't get blood poisoning and you were ripped off, usually charged a £1.00 ..... not that I went there myself!

He had GENERAL MONTGOMERY's hairdressing credentials in his window display. And weird head wig models. That window display can't have been updated for the best part of a quarter of a century. And the whole place stank of piss. But apart from that? Fine! :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I got away lightly compared to my little brother in this pic taken on Worthing Pier in about 1974. I've more or less got the same haircut today.

5bu5bd.jpg

True story

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
He had GENERAL MONTGOMERY's hairdressing credentials in his window display. And weird head wig models. That window display can't have been updated for the best part of a quarter of a century. And the whole place stank of piss. But apart from that? Fine! :thumbsup:

oh yeah .... thinks it's a tattoo parlour now :)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

This link does quite a feature on him. He did indeed cut Montgomery's hair and also once chased someone out of his shop for asking for a Brian Jones cut. I remember the place well but never ventured in. I could be wrong but wasn't he the barber of choice for the local rockabillys in the early 80s?
http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__5522.aspx

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not quite sure WTF was going on with my hair here...... :lolol: Maybe around 76/77

school.jpg

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Did we share a hairdresser?

Doubt it, it was one of those old Gentlemans "something for the weekend Sir" type barbers :lolol: Vic's I think it was called Sussex Road, Haywards Heath. I think it is actually still a hairdressers to this day, but no longer Vics.

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone from Worthing of a certain age who wishes to share photo's of a Bill Berry haircut? He was an ancient barber in Tarring village and was often used as a threat by parents - "either you do the washing up or your going to Bill Berry for your next haircut". With such a threat, I always chose to help out around the house!

Think he finally retired some time in the late 1980's or early 1990's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here