Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perry's Plea / No Trains for Rotherham?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I see your point. But the problem with Southern is that there are no consequences for them of being inept. Their income is guaranteed, their franchise is secure and none of their highly-paid board ever have to meet passengers. My thought was if you have a mayor who's ultimately responsible for making the network run then at least there are electoral consequences for him or her when it all goes pear-shaped.

I can't disagree with any of what you say but you have more chance of farting on Pluto than that ever happening.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Probably not, sadly. But throw into the mix that the Albion are Southern's bigges individual customer, one would think that would count for something.

However, while the club tries to negotiate with willing middle managers at SASTA, those at the top of the hierarchy don't even bother to reply to the club's enquiries.

They really couldn't give two stuffs about 'customers'.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Indeed - point I alluded to above is that this isn't specific to the Rotherham game. It'll be all evening games as long as the 'emergency' timetable is in place.

Is there a possibility that the police put a ban on evening games on safety reasons, that they wouldn't be able to cope with the numbers arriving for a limited rail service. Or if there are no trains do they really want thousands of pissed-off fans walking through Moulsecoomb - that's a lot harder to police

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I know Southern do arbitrarily cancel trains at a moment's notice, and I'm not doubting Martin Perry regarding the Rotherham game, but this is what's on National Rail Enquiries for next Tuesday; no reference to Falmer being closed after 5pm. So, if this was the case, at what point were SASTA going to tell us...?

Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 12.02.37.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know Southern do arbitrarily cancel trains at a moment's notice, and I'm not doubting Martin Perry regarding the Rotherham game, but this is what's on National Rail Enquiries for next Tuesday; no reference to Falmer being closed after 5pm. So, if this was the case, at what point were SASTA going to tell us...?

View attachment 77022

See my earlier post - maybe he meant 'effectively closed' as there is very little chance of getting back after the game at least

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But don't we pay SASTA a yearly fee for allowing our tickets to be used for travel? Couldn't we just deduct £300k from that? I'd like to see SASTA pursue that in court

It's the club - as a corporate customer - that needs to be proactively pursuing SASTA in court. Would have far more clout than an individual customer trying to do so. Utterly unbelievable that a rail company should be allowed to wreak such havoc on the community it is supposed to be serving.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The revised timetable shows trains as follows for Tuesday 16 (some examples below) - I guess he means 'effectively closed' - and presumably this is the case until a 'normal' timetable is re-established. Will cost the club (Tony) millions this season and God knows what it will do to long term support. The club/us have already paid for the service too through the levy.

Brighton to Falmer - 3 trains between 6 & 7
Lewes to Falmer - 3 trains between 6 & 7

Falmer to Brighton - 22.20, 22.49, 23.15
Falmer to Lewes - 23.15 (so forget it)

Utter shambles

Might as well close the station completely than provide just three trains, Worse than useless. This needs to be persued at length, as the outcome could result in a nightmare scenario if it is left like this for any length of time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Discussed earlier in this thread. As I posted there, it could be a Pride-like closure (of Preston Park in that instance) on safety grounds due to anticipated demand far outstripping capacity.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's the club - as a corporate customer - that needs to be proactively pursuing SASTA in court. Would have far more clout than an individual customer trying to do so.

Again, I have no doubt that Paul Barber will be doing anything that could practically help matters for fans. This could just be one where the club are all but powerless, until contract renewal time.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You can't. At least not until February/March for next season.

Even with a normal service, there won't be many Rotherham fans using the train to get to Brighton and back on a Tuesday night.

Pretty sure not being able to get there would be reasonable grounds. The club would have to recover the costs from SASTA.

Again, I have no doubt that Paul Barber will be doing anything that could practically help matters for fans. This could just be one where the club are all but powerless, until contract renewal time.

Indeed, he'll be doing a lot, but some of us will still be stuffed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Indeed - point I alluded to above is that this isn't specific to the Rotherham game. It'll be all evening games as long as the 'emergency' timetable is in place.
So Huddersfield and Wolves ( along with moved sky games ) before we get into the Christmas fixtures.

I assume the club will insist on no games being moved to midweek until this dispute is finally over in 2018.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Is it worth even bothering trying to get down from London for this? Joke of a service. When moving back to England, Brighton was ruled out instantly because I'd not be able to get to London for work.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So Huddersfield and Wolves ( along with moved sky games ) before we get into the Christmas fixtures.

I assume the club will insist on no games being moved to midweek until this dispute is finally over in 2018.

Yup - it's a disaster. Parking/traffic chaos and a potentially half-empty Amex until sorted. Club can't avoid midweek fixtures - season isn't long enough to have weekend only games but agree moving any more at the moment should be resisted (meaning even more loss of revenue as no TV money, on top of the additional transport costs)

Waiting to see what the Saturday pm service looks like too. Sure it'll be much worse than last season.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Last week I bought a season ticket for the coach from Eastbourne. Reasonable price as it goes but completely unplanned expenditure of £210. A third again on the cost of my season ticket. Thanks SASTA you shower.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Since GTR have reportedly pocketed the £8.9billion of tax payers money they have done everything possible to reduce the service they were paid to provide. One reduced 'emegency' timetable after another. It is astonishing that they still continue to get an easy ride from the government and in some cases the media. For all the talk of industrial action up until this week there have only been a handful of strike days, nothing remotely close to justifying the slashing of a vital service.

I'm glad I'm not going friday it will be chaos and it will be on the heads of the couldn't give a crap management at Southern.

It would seem that the Government are looking upon this dispute as a test case to try & break the union domination. Just a crying shame that it is in our part of the country, and that it is affecting our lives, and that of the football club that we all support, in such a negative way.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I guess I'm just grateful that I have a lovely girlfriend that drives me to (well I drive to) and back from our ground. But I really do feel for people having to use the shocking public transport service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here