Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perks and freebies

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Lots of freebies get left in on a first-grabber basis in the office, and I can see the reception desk so I've got a better chance than most. A lot of crap - Halls XS mints and bottled water this week, but other times its gig tickets. A huge amount of movie screening passes go through too.

Will get to "work", e.g. sit around and wait for someone to trip on a cable and pull it out - at gigs and festivals over the summer. Not much use if the OB unit is parked miles away from any stages though. The sports events are absolutely no fun as clearly the truck is always outside and out of view of everything.

Company pay my car tax, insurance, and a mileage rate and I get a phone, useless wireless broadband and the worst laptop in the known universe too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like most things, it depends on your priorities, I guess.

I'm at a point in my life when my priority is to provide for my children and give them better opportunities then I had. I've had my chances and made the best of them that I could. I hope when my two have families of their own that they will work to give their children better experiences and opportunities than I was able to give them.

"Not very interesting" is part of being a middle-aged Dad. But being interesting is no longer what motivates me, HT.

Fair enough. My words feel a bit harsh on reflection.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its our first one. Usually stick to the ones closer to home but we've got a government grant to go this year which I guess is another perk. :)

Cool. I went about 10-12 years ago. The hotel based parties, outside around their swimming pools, were quite incredible. I remember going to Norman's Southern Fried party and Danny Tenaglia's club. I didn't see much of the conference though :smile:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm surprised no one's added "able to spend all day on North Stand Chat while supposedly preparing the accounts for the end of the month"!!!

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
A lot of core stuff as noted above, being a middle aged Dad myself, wanting to provide for my children's future as best I can. All about priorities I guess.

Pension I put in 4% ish but total pot is 15% following top-up by company.

Microsoft home use program allows me to but the latest Office suite of software on PC or Mac for about £8 a piece.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Have BUPA for myself and family, tax efficient child care vouchers and very generous discount on company products/ cash back on many other companies.

Best perk- company has two boxes at the stadium. :)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A pension is part of the overall remuneration package though so it's not really a perk.
A mate of mine is a retired senior fire service officer and he reckons that firefighters (and I presume police officers) accept a more modest wage in return for a generous pension.
There's also the practical element, can you imagine a 60 year old copper with dodgy knees giving chase to a teenage herbert ?

I struggle to believe some of the officers I've met recently who must be in their 30's could do so either !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Great food. Travel and hotels are always nice. I get to meet some of my "heroes" but best of all last few years I did a lot of war stuff so got to fire many weapons, drive tanks, half tracks and other military vehicles and get free training in combat and martial arts from some truly awesome people. Apart from experience though there isn't much I can take away but enjoyable times. Oh and free haircuts.

Last edited:

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
I get to do all my private work after hours and weekends in the garage, and even sometime during work when there isnt any work, and at the moment ive proburaly got more private work than normal work

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here