Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Perhaps another contentious RIP thread but Albion related.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Geoff Clark, presenter of the infamous Meridian TV “Goodbye Goldstone” in 1997.

For the people present that day at the old Southern/TVS/Meridian studios in Southampton not quite what we expected.

It had all the makings of classic TV, Mr and Mrs Belotti present, along with shifty Paul Scally and a one eyed Bill Archer on live link up.

The powers that be didn’t put it out live, Meridian showed The Great Escape (ironic) and then an edited version went out an hour or so after recording.

Geoff later went on to work for BBC South East, and we met at a function in the mid noughties, to his credit he put his hands up and said Meridian got it wrong, and pulled it’s punches when it really could have exposed the asset strip for all to see.

RIP old boy.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Its an interesting one as the programme was produced by Dave Beckett who is an Albion fan.

Geoff Clark went to Paul Scally's wedding to an aspiring 'singer' (as did David Belotti).

I was interviewed by Geoff a few times after and as you say he admitted that there were pressures that Meridian put them under that perhaps impacted the output. He also pointed out that us as fans hadnt helped that day and didnt present a coherent and clear argument. It was a media lesson that we made sure we learnt in our other campaigns.

Anyway RIP Geoff

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Geoff Clark, presenter of the infamous Meridian TV “Goodbye Goldstone” in 1997.

For the people present that day at the old Southern/TVS/Meridian studios in Southampton not quite what we expected.

It had all the makings of classic TV, Mr and Mrs Belotti present, along with shifty Paul Scally and a one eyed Bill Archer on live link up.

The powers that be didn’t put it out live, Meridian showed The Great Escape (ironic) and then an edited version went out an hour or so after recording.

Geoff later went on to work for BBC South East, and we met at a function in the mid noughties, to his credit he put his hands up and said Meridian got it wrong, and pulled it’s punches when it really could have exposed the asset strip for all to see.

RIP old boy.
Remember watching that show.

Any other NSCers involved?

RIP Geoff

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not contentious at all in my opinion. I remember the programme and reading just a few comments here reminds me of how bad things were for us then and how good they are now.

RIP Geoff.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Geoff Clark is someone much of the NSC community will be aware of, not just any old celebrity. I wonder if the mods could amend the thread title to reflect this. RIP Geoff.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Geoff Clark is someone much of the NSC community will be aware of, not just any old celebrity. I wonder if the mods could amend the thread title to reflect this. RIP Geoff.
I was being ironic Perry old boy, Geoff Clark part of Albion pop culture, but someone, somewhere on here will always find fault. 😂

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Its an interesting one as the programme was produced by Dave Beckett who is an Albion fan.

Geoff Clark went to Paul Scally's wedding to an aspiring 'singer' (as did David Belotti).

I was interviewed by Geoff a few times after and as you say he admitted that there were pressures that Meridian put them under that perhaps impacted the output. He also pointed out that us as fans hadnt helped that day and didnt present a coherent and clear argument. It was a media lesson that we made sure we learnt in our other campaigns.

Anyway RIP Geoff
I'm glad you said that. I watched the programme and thought we (the fans) were awful. If I'd watched it as a neutral who didn't know the story I'd have thought that Bill Archer was a visionary trying to lead a moribund club out of the mire in which it had embedded itself, and the fans were a bunch of whiny reactionaries moaning that they 'weren't consulted'. I always thought that solely blaming Meridian was a bit of a cop out and I'm glad others thought that. And yes, like you say lessons were well learnt.

Anyway, all in the past. We won the war even if we didn't win every battle. RIP Geoff.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I remember watching 'Goodbye Goldstone' and remember the fans kicking off afterwards about how it had been a stitch up. Being only 15 at the time, I'm not sure I completely understood what went wrong with it. Can those who were a little more clued up at the time explain it in more detail, please?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I was in the studio audience aged about 16. Thinking about it now (I am an actual TV journalist these days) it was indeed a lesson in presenting an argument that we didn't really grip that day. Bill Archer with an eye patch on down the line from Liverpool was absolutely mad TV, though.

I remember watching Geoff on Meridian Sport for a long time, and am sorry to hear he's gone. RIP.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Everyone was glued to Geoff Clark’s Meridian coverage of the Hereford match on the days that followed.
RIP

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
He also pointed out that us as fans hadnt helped that day and didnt present a coherent and clear argument. It was a media lesson that we made sure we learnt in our other campaigns.
That's reasonable. I was particulary incoherent, partly because I was knackered from the previous day (Fans United), but mainly because as the camera came to me I spotted they'd spelt my name wrong on the caption. Grr!

My abiding memory, though, is stepping off our coach and being greeted by guard dogs. Held a serious grudge against Meridian from that day on.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
That's reasonable. I was particulary incoherent, partly because I was knackered from the previous day (Fans United), but mainly because as the camera came to me I spotted they'd spelt my name wrong on the caption. Grr!

My abiding memory, though, is stepping off our coach and being greeted by guard dogs. Held a serious grudge against Meridian from that day on.
I remember that. The dogs were sourced from rentokil.

I know of at least 3 contracts that company lost off the back of that incident.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I remember watching 'Goodbye Goldstone' and remember the fans kicking off afterwards about how it had been a stitch up. Being only 15 at the time, I'm not sure I completely understood what went wrong with it. Can those who were a little more clued up at the time explain it in more detail, please?
Whilst I take on board what some are saying about the way we might have conducted ourselves better on the day, I think the whole atmopshere/conditions at Southampton didnt help.

Having Belotti there, with Mrs Belotti Mk3 (Robbie Fowler's friend ;) ) immediately fired us all up, having them both (Archer and Belotti) on live link up elsewhere would have been more productive.

Scally's attendance was also questionable, he was sat directly in front of us and aside from his part in the programme was making snidey comments throughout.

My dear old Mum always taught to find the good in everyone, that afternoon I quickly worked out Scally was a complete C***.

In short it probably didnt have the immediate impact it should have, that said, we got through it all, and the late Geoff was man enough to admit his errors to me down the line.

My abiding memory of that afternoon was at the end of filming, although we had no intention of any kind of violence, Mr Camillin and I, making a point of moving directly towards Belotti after they'd gone off air, so much so Meridian security stragetically got in the way, and the spineless f***** scuttled away like the rat he was.

That and the director asking if everyone was okay prior to filming and one wag at the back, put his hand up and pointed out Jo Belotti had a bit of dandruff on her shoulder :thumbsup:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There is an Albion fan (Mark O'Meara) who has a website dedicated to the television coverage of Brighton and Hove Albion through the years (including every single instance of Albion being live on TV).

You may find this dedicated page of that "Goodbye Goldstone" episode interesting...

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Wasnt one of the issues that they hadnt allowed Dick Knight or anyone from the consortium to appear on the understanding that Belotti etc wouldnt either?
Or something?
I remember it as being a bit of a damp squib but overall we got fairly good coverage off of Meridien news and BBC South Today (is Harry Gration still alive or was his RIP thread not allowed either?)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Wasnt one of the issues that they hadnt allowed Dick Knight or anyone from the consortium to appear on the understanding that Belotti etc wouldnt either?
Or something?
I remember it as being a bit of a damp squib but overall we got fairly good coverage off of Meridien news and BBC South Today (is Harry Gration still alive or was his RIP thread not allowed either?)
Harry gration was a legend. When he retired from look north i responded to a tweet saying how grateful we were for his support and he responded saying what a great time he had in the south and how the albion story gripped him.

As regards Knight and that programme. A few days earlier there had been mediation sessions at CEDR and the mediators felt it was inappropriate for any party to take part given the delicate nature. All had agreed only Belotti and Archer then reneged on it.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Harry gration was a legend. When he retired from look north i responded to a tweet saying how grateful we were for his support and he responded saying what a great time he had in the south and how the albion story gripped him.

As regards Knight and that programme. A few days earlier there had been mediation sessions at CEDR and the mediators felt it was inappropriate for any party to take part given the delicate nature. All had agreed only Belotti and Archer then reneged on it.
Thanks for confirming I’m not quite senile.

Another memory is driving towards the goldstone from lewes on the A27 the following week and there being a picture of Archer in his eye patch with the caption ‘Bills Eye!’

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Remember that broadcast well. As others have already said, the villains got off Scot free and the fans looked naive. I can recall my Dad said as much, as a relatively neutral viewer, before I jumped in to fill the gaps and amend the content so’s to speak.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Or something?
Harry unfortunately died a couple of years ago His funeral was in York Minister .

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Justified RIP on this case, RIP Geoff.
Though you can't help but think that some folk wake up each morning and google, 'who has died today'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here