Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peregrine Falcon at The Amex

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
As a kid I remember them flying over our garden on Surrenden Road loads. I think they all got wiped out in the '87 hurricane, but would be pleased to be told otherwise

Definitely survived the hurricane as I had an allotment there then. They are very hardy birds, but unfortunately I believe they have become a bit of a menace in some areas

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Is that right? Ha! assumed they'd just escaped from a private collection, but that would be cool

There's supposed to be thousands of them across South East England that are descended from some that escaped when they were filming it.

There's supposed to be thousands of them across South East England that are descended from some that escaped when they were filming it.

I told my wife I'd seen something that looked like a Green Parrot in the tree at the bottom our garden.

She laughed at me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There are - go to somewhere like Hampton Court or Richmond Park and they are everywhere. We've got relatives who live near Surbiton and they have them on their bird feeders in the garden all the time. I played golf with my wife's uncle at Maldon Gc, loads there too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...-parakeets-are-flying-beyond-our-control.html

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I thought a handler brings one in once in a while to keep away pigeons and other birds nesting in the stadium?

Thats likely to be a Harris Hawk, my mate has a Harris Hawk and he does bird and pest control for companies and people with it as they are one of the easier bird or prey to train and take care of.

I've seen it in seasons before. Not this season. Where have all the seagulls gone?

Hawks, falcons etc.. eat the young of seagulls, pigeons etc.. and so if adult birds see them in an area when nexting, the bugger off and nest somewhere else becasue they know their young will be a tasty snack later on. Hawk, falcons etc.. tend to be terratorial and so they know that that brid will hang around in that area looking for food, so they nest somewhere else.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Mr Bronson

Feb 24, 2009
I lived in Morden for years and we used to get the green Parakeets on our bird feeders all the time. You'd get dozens of them around Mitcham Golf Course in the evenings. I've never seen them this far south.

I didn't realise we got red kites down here.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I lived in Morden for years and we used to get the green Parakeets on our bird feeders all the time. You'd get dozens of them around Mitcham Golf Course in the evenings. I've never seen them this far south.

I didn't realise we got red kites down here.

Seen a few on the Downs whilst out running. From memory, a couple near between Jack and Jill Windmills and the A27 (by the small clump of tall trees on top of the hill) , one down towards Falmer and a couple over near the Sustainability Centre (a few miles West of Butser Hill)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here