Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Percy "The Lion of Judah" Tau - Work Permit

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I imagine if the overseas players leave/less come in the interest in the league will drop as will the money.

It will lead to better players (including the English ones) going to Spain etc.

Italy restricted Non EU players and the standard of the league dropped, as did the national team

I am in the minority I am sure, but I don't think it would be that bad a thing if there was less money int he game. In my view, most of the worst changes in football have come around due to the huge amount of money from TV. The 'real' supporters are treated with contempt from the likes of Sky etc.

I do appreciate there is a flipside and that for example, Tony Bloom's infusion of cash may never have happened had the Sky money not been there. I know that we should all be loving our elevated status but for me personally, I have found the PL a terrible anti-climax most of the time and last season was probably my least enjoyed since the bad years of the late 90's. It must be a very different proposition for a fan of one of the big 6 such as yourself.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I am in the minority I am sure, but I don't think it would be that bad a thing if there was less money int he game. In my view, most of the worst changes in football have come around due to the huge amount of money from TV. The 'real' supporters are treated with contempt from the likes of Sky etc.

I do appreciate there is a flipside and that for example, Tony Bloom's infusion of cash may never have happened had the Sky money not been there. I know that we should all be loving our elevated status but for me personally, I have found the PL a terrible anti-climax most of the time and last season was probably my least enjoyed since the bad years of the late 90's. It must be a very different proposition for a fan of one of the big 6 such as yourself.

I don’t actually disagree, the money is mad and it’s out of control - however it has to be all leagues that stop the spending and not just the PL.

For all the money in the PL - Real/Barca/PSG and potentially Juve and Munich can still blow PL teams out the water with bids/wages.

If we are the only league that does it the standard will drop and that won’t help The national team in the slightest and I imagine it would make the league more one sided.

Man United would be able to afford the best young players and best players in the league - Juve/Munich style.

Think back 10 years ago when it was a top 3/4 - now it’s a top 6 and the gap is closing on that with Everton/Wolves

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You actually said that 'Great, if you like top flight UK football being Championship standard' which it wasn't in the 70's, it was a better league than the others. I don't think it matters where our players were from, what matters is that we had the best league as we do now in some people's minds.

Who were the best British players in the late 70s / early 80s? Keegan, Hoddle, Souness, Wilkins, Rush, Brady, Francis, Woodcock, Cowans, Paul Elliott, Luther Blissett, Hateley, Joe Jordan, Lineker, Hughes - all abroad. The best players were in Italy, Germany and Spain. Division 1 was OK, but it was the Premier League money that changed things.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He’s likely not good enough for PL so I’m not bothered. Probably was a stocks and shares purchase anyway.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Who were the best British players in the late 70s / early 80s? Keegan, Hoddle, Souness, Wilkins, Rush, Brady, Francis, Woodcock, Cowans, Paul Elliott, Luther Blissett, Hateley, Joe Jordan, Lineker, Hughes - all abroad. The best players were in Italy, Germany and Spain. Division 1 was OK, but it was the Premier League money that changed things.

I think that’s fair, though I certainly wouldn’t say the better players were ‘all abroad’, a small handful of the better players were.

But in essence, yes agree the money changed everything. We did have some high end foreign players in our league though, some came off some didn’t.
Ardiles, Villa, Murhren, Thijjsen, Olsen,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, I imagine it will

But it would also see a drop in the standard of the league, which most would be against ?

Quite. Having teams full of English players playing teams full of English players will be like watching England v England every week; can you imagine that :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I tend to agree. I know some people will not agree, but what really hacks me off is that we have second rate players coming in from abroad and home grown talent doesn’t get a look in. Arsenal started the trend but having a whole non British and Irish team and it seems like everyone is creaming themselves when someone announces a untried untested signing from Belgium for example.

Maybe with brexit the rules on players will be tightened up, but I won’t hold my breath.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apparently we're trying to loan him from Club Brugge - Qué???

Playing at a higher standard significantly improves the chnaces of getting a work permit

As [MENTION=33955]nickbrighton[/MENTION] says, people need to understand that the club will take numerous punts in terms of investing in players - partly in the hope that a % will make it to the first team, but if they don't they will still make money on them either way through loaning out or selling on. Same with the academy - the transition rate from scholar to 1st team will be tiny, but there will be plenty that make the club money by being sold to lower level clubs. It's business. All the 'why are we signing HIM, he'll never play for us' type posts do my head in.............

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not convinced Percy was bought as a first team player, given that the club would have been well aware of the work permit issues. He was bought at a relatively cheap amount, has gone out on loan and had an excellent season,and now been noticed by several clubs in various countries first divisions . He will in all likelihood be out on loan this season for a first division outfit in Europe and if he performs reasonably well would then be sold on for a nice profit of several million quid. Like it or not, players are a commodity who can make a nice trading profit if their stock rises . We may never see Percy play at the Amex but he could bolster the bank balance by a reasonable sum or pay Tony back some of the money he has invested.

This is it really. It's the same with the U23s. I believe we sold one contract for 4m a few weeks back. I don't even remember his name.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Right.....

Villa have just signed a chap from Bruge - Marvelous something or other. a Zimbabwe international.

They are 20 or so places below South Africa in the Fifa world rankings.

Can someone help me here?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Right.....

Villa have just signed a chap from Bruge - Marvelous something or other. a Zimbabwe international.

They spent a shed load of money for him and that means more points. And what do points make? Prizes!!

If we'd spunked the money that Villa did we'd have more chance, plus he was playing in a higher european league. It all adds up I believe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right.....

How long has he been in Brugge?

Where does his mum/dad/great great grandfather come from?
What breed of dog does he own?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's all got a bit weird now. Club's shelled out for all this exotic looking talent who are performing like world beaters in overseas locations and subsequently doing well and even trading up clubs overseas with gay abandon.

Meanwhile back home it's all about frantic activity in the Women's game and the U-23s and we're supposed to give a shit. Funny old game. Not so funny when the club taking their eye off the ball results in relegation tho eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here