Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think you can say that with certainty. All the time he's there we're paying his wages and presumably have incurred quite a lot of other costs, expenses, scouting etc. More likely to me is that Bloom is speculating on circumstances allowing a work permit coming about. We could have loaned him to a much higher profile league if what we needed was exposure for a resale.

How many times? ITS A BUSINESS TRANSACTION.

Always never likely to play for us. ‘Shine’ in Belgium, maybe get them promoted or into Europa League and then perhaps another slightly bigger European club homes sniffing and who knows maybe we double our money on him. That’s the model.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think you can say that with certainty. All the time he's there we're paying his wages and presumably have incurred quite a lot of other costs, expenses, scouting etc. More likely to me is that Bloom is speculating on circumstances allowing a work permit coming about. We could have loaned him to a much higher profile league if what we needed was exposure for a resale.
Also, would he have signed for us if he knew we weren't planning on playing him, but rather planning to make money from him? And I don't think Tony would be doing that without him knowing.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well, players have allowed themselves to be part owned by agents, I can’t pretend to know what a footballer thinks, or what one would do for money, but they do seem to allow themselves to be put in these sort of positions. To me, the idea that we have no intention at all of ever playing Percy Tau or the other guys at all, doesn’t seem very Tony Bloom. I’m sure he’s considered it as a back up plan.

Also, would he have signed for us if he knew we weren't planning on playing him, but rather planning to make money from him? And I don't think Tony would be doing that without him knowing.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

How could we have loaned him to a higher profile league if there were no offers? I’m fairly sure this was always the intended path.

It’s a clear TB business decision to me but I understand how others might view it differently.

I think TB was 100% clear with PT, his agent etc. In this scenario I expect being given the chance of
maybe tripling his salary, playing in Europe to a higher standard than he previously was and affording him that type of exposure was always the intended plan.

Whether we sell him in the summer off the back of his strong USG performances remains to be seen but I highly doubt we said “sign for BHAFC and we’ll find a way to fudge the work permit application to make sure you’re playing in the Premier League next year”.

He knew he was joining to be loaned out and I expect he knew the chances were high we’d cash in our chips at some point to a club in a European league where he can play without the work permit issues.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm baffled how he can work in Belgium, but not UK given we are both in the EU.

Simply because Belgium has less stringent rules than the UK when it comes to work permits for non EU nationals. They also used to allow for residency applications after two years working there, but I believe it's now 3 years.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

I assume because South Africa isn't in the EU and the EU doesn't control our borders to the rest of the world.

That said, if we do leave the EU, the work permit requirements could potentially change.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
How could we have loaned him to a higher profile league if there were no offers? I’m fairly sure this was always the intended path.

It’s a clear TB business decision to me but I understand how others might view it differently.

I think TB was 100% clear with PT, his agent etc. In this scenario I expect being given the chance of
maybe tripling his salary, playing in Europe to a higher standard than he previously was and affording him that type of exposure was always the intended plan.

Whether we sell him in the summer off the back of his strong USG performances remains to be seen but I highly doubt we said “sign for BHAFC and we’ll find a way to fudge the work permit application to make sure you’re playing in the Premier League next year”.

He knew he was joining to be loaned out and I expect he knew the chances were high we’d cash in our chips at some point to a club in a European league where he can play without the work permit issues.

Could well be Tony wanting to get Percy there to help them get promoted without having him on their books financially.

It'll be interesting to see going forward if any other Albion players move to Union.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Because despite what the press has said countries in the EU can actually set their own laws on things like work permits for non-EU workers.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Let's hope for a decent performance from South Africa in the ACON this summer. If they can do well, they'd be into the world's top 50 and PT should be good for a work permit, as he's played most of their games over the past 2 years.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Let's hope for a decent performance from South Africa in the ACON this summer. If they can do well, they'd be into the world's top 50 and PT should be good for a work permit, as he's played most of their games over the past 2 years.

Qatar jumped 38 places by winning the Asian Cup earlier this year. South Africa are ranked 73rd currently so would probably need to win it to get into the top 50. However I think the rating is taken as an average over the last 2 years when it comes to work permit requirements so being ranked above 50 might not be enough.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Because, depsite being in the EU, the UK still has full control over which non-EU citizens are allowed to work here.

Basically, you've been lied to.

(the stuff about Bananas is a complete myth as well)

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I think he has to have played for the Saffers during the time that they were in the top 50 though, unfortunately.

The only way he'll get a work permit under the current criteria is if he is one of the top 25% of earners of the top 30 earners at the club (ie the 7th highest paid player), and if he plays a season in either one of the top 6 European Leagues - I don't think Belgium qualifies for that under current rankings - or top 2 South American leagues. So the chances of seeing Percy in the Premier League are slim for at least another season.

Mac Allister however probably will qualify by virtue of playing in a top league and also becuase of the value of his transfer fee and, I assume, his wages to go with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here