Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pepipoo website

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
#

But charges for parking at hospitals are a tax on the sick ( or those visiting the sick ). Wales and Scotland have got this one right. W&S hospitals also don't employ the parasites known as Private Parking Companies who lie and break the law, such as Parking Eye, G24, Excel, Capital 2 Coast ( our very own Brighton breed scum ) or UKCP - and before [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] get's a twitchy back side - I have the evidence of these claims.

I'm not suggesting they have got it right, but what is the cost to the NHS of free parking? Running a car park is not without expenditure.

Should buses and taxis offer free travel to hospitals?

Where do you draw the line? Disabled people get free parking. Perhaps the answer lies in that. Temporary disabled get free parking?

I regularly visit hospitals and I either get a lift or make use of public transport or pay to park (which is generally cheaper than an NCP). How many people are we actually talking about when we make claims of hospitals profiteering from the sick, elderly or the infirm? In most cases, it's a choice, surely?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why should that be free?

Why should a hospital charge for parking at all ? We've all paid for the car park in our taxes. If they have a problem with people parking there that shouldn't then put a barrier in that needs a token to get out and only hand out tokens to patients and their visitors. But that of course wouldn't give the scammers a chance to fleece innocent people of their money.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I'm not suggesting they have got it right, but what is the cost to the NHS of free parking? Running a car park is not without expenditure.

Should buses and taxis offer free travel to hospitals?

Where do you draw the line? Disabled people get free parking. Perhaps the answer lies in that. Temporary disabled get free parking?

I regularly visit hospitals and I either get a lift or make use of public transport or pay to park (which is generally cheaper than an NCP). How many people are we actually talking about when we make claims of hospitals profiteering from the sick, elderly or the infirm? In most cases, it's a choice, surely?

For me it's less about the charges for parking and more about the unlawful invoices the scammers the NHS trust have employed send out with all sorts of unenforceable threats.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
For me it's less about the charges for parking and more about the unlawful invoices the scammers the NHS trust have employed send out with all sorts of unenforceable threats.

I don't quite understand.

If you don't pay for parking, you can park for free (assuming your case is succesful)?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I don't quite understand.

If you don't pay for parking, you can park for free (assuming your case is succesful)?

So let's say you pay for 3 hours but your treatment takes 4 - BANG - here's a £100 charge ( kindly reduced to £60 for the first 14 days ).
Let's say one of your wheels is on one of the while lines - BANG - here's a £100 charge ( kindly reduced to £60 for the first 14 days ).
Let's say you park in a disabled bay as you are disabled BUT don't have a Blue Badge - BANG - here's a £100 charge ( kindly reduced to £60 for the first 14 days ). - this one is illegal by the way under the Equality Act.

The scummy scammers try and fleece people in hospital car parks daily yet a majority are so scared when they get the unlawful invoice that they pay. Bullying, unlawful scum are PPCs and the hospital trusts should hang their heads in shame for employing them. I've never paid a 'private parking ticket' in my life and never will.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So let's say you pay for 3 hours but your treatment takes 4 - BANG - here's a £100 charge ( kindly reduced to £60 for the first 14 days ).
Let's say one of your wheels is on one of the while lines - BANG - here's a £100 charge ( kindly reduced to £60 for the first 14 days ).
Let's say you park in a disabled bay as you are disabled BUT don't have a Blue Badge - BANG - here's a £100 charge ( kindly reduced to £60 for the first 14 days ). - this one is illegal by the way under the Equality Act.

The scummy scammers try and fleece people in hospital car parks daily yet a majority are so scared when they get the unlawful invoice that they pay. Bullying, unlawful scum are PPCs and the hospital trusts should hang their heads in shame for employing them. I've never paid a 'private parking ticket' in my life and never will.

We're arguing different things. The original jist was the merits of paying for parking, not about these companies that charge through the roof.

However, how would you feel if I parked up on your drive and refused to budge?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
We're arguing different things. The original jist was the merits of paying for parking, not about these companies that charge through the roof.

However, how would you feel if I parked up on your drive and refused to budge?

Utterly different - that would be trespass as I haven't invited you to park under contract unlike hospital, supermarket and retailer car parks.

EDIT - and I would agree, if there are charges to park then people should pay them ( although IMHO hospitals should not be allowed to charge ). What people should NEVER pay is the invoices if they happen to break the T&Cs of a car park.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Why should a hospital charge for parking at all ? We've all paid for the car park in our taxes. If they have a problem with people parking there that shouldn't then put a barrier in that needs a token to get out and only hand out tokens to patients and their visitors. But that of course wouldn't give the scammers a chance to fleece innocent people of their money.
I'm quite happy to pay for hospital car parks so the maintenance and upkeep of it does not come out of the hospitals budget and thus either treatment, supplies or equipment are not reduced due to "free parking"

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I do not think Blue Badge holders should be free. My mother had one due to being blind in later life but it didnt affect her ability to be able or afford to pay for me to park when taking her out.

With you it's always ok for other people to pay so long as its not you.
Even though you mother was blind and you were talking her out in your car you would expect her to pay for the parking.
That says so much about you.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

This. :thumbs up:

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
The only reason these so called scammer companies exist is because the supermarkets, hospitals or whoever provided the car parks in the first place, can't trust the public to use them responsibly. Unsupervised, we, the car driving public would use them for other things like leaving the car there all day while we went to work or caught the train, therefore depriving the provider of revenue which was due to them. In other words they would be unavailable for the purpose intended. There has to be some method of control
I agree the penalties are too high but could you promise never to use , say, Tesco Hove car park for any other reason than to shop in their store.

Apr 12, 2011
Yes, when my car was wrongly clamped and towed outside Fratton Park a few years back.

They provided me great advice which resulted in me reclaiming the entire £692 which I had to pay to get my car back the next day.

Couple of them were Albion fans aswell, and I think at least one uses NSC.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
1. Stations hardly affect me but I believe that the parking fee should be refunded on the train ticket purchased.

2. Is it my fault Currys couldnt supply the goods I wanted as out of stock in the store so I had to go elsewhere.

To me your sense of entitlement is unbelievable.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Yep but the likes of JAS and other scumbag parasite firms making a fast buck every time someone 'breaches' the terms they make up, don't pay a penny for the upkeep of the car park. The landowner/retailer usually gets nothing at all except the backlash of complaints.

As for Hospitals, even the Government has recently (partially) sussed the scam played out by Parking Eye, or UKPC and others picking off ill victims at £100 a pop and - in Parking Eye's case - suing them if they ignore their fake PCN. And the money all lines the pockets of the Private Parking Company (PPC) owners, so that's a good thing is it?

Train Operators in fact do not make any money from the fake PCNs issued by the likes of MET or NCP, and the TOC still has to shell out the same amount to maintain the car parks because the scumbag firms don't pay towards that. They just mislead people by setting up a few signs and then send out fake PCNs pretending the keeper is liable when in railway car parks they cannot be - not even under the new law. So the money doesn't go to who you think it does, doesn't maintain the car park. That said, where it is a P&D car park I believe people should pay the fee to park if reasonable - just NOT to ever pay the silly amount the resident scammer demands for some jumped up contravention like the P&D ticket flipping over on the dashboard - ''£100 please''.

Currys do provide free parking - in Hove, Excel just pretend people owe them £100 and idiots pay it or rush to grab the early bird discount(!). It's not about being too lazy to pay, in a free car park. In the OP's case, JAS certainly have no case and in many car parks a person can certainly park and visit other local shops.

I don't disagree that the penalties are disproportinate. What i take issue with is Bensgrandads belief he shouldn't pay for parking. Its the undeserved matyr status that gets on my tits.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I agree the penalties are too high but could you promise never to use , say, Tesco Hove car park for any other reason than to shop in their store.

a) The planning permission for Hove Tesco included the condition that people could park there to use other local businesses. Much like the planning permission agreed with Aldi Portslade but Aldi have, on numerous occassions, broken that planning condition.

b) I ignore the T&Cs in private car parks exactly BECAUSE they break contract law. Why should I bother to adhere to their made up rules if they can't be bothered to adhere to the law ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With you it's always ok for other people to pay so long as its not you.
Even though you mother was blind and you were talking her out in your car you would expect her to pay for the parking.
That says so much about you.

You are taking that literally as I used my mother as an example as the badge was in her name. Obviously it was my car and if we parked in multj story or similar pay car park as it was my car I would pay. Perhaps I shouldnt have said mum but any disabled person having a blue badge doesnt inhibit their ability to be able to afford to pay. I would add this is the case for a number if councils, you have to still pay with the badge. When my granddaughter comes out of Royal Marsden her parents have been told she is eligible for a blue badge but they can afford the charges although in most cases it will mean free parking. That is what I think is wrong.

Like most, if something is free and I am eligible, like my bus pass, I use it but that doesnt mean I agree that it should be free, me not using it would make no difference to anybody other than me.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

Amusing to see that you chose that one seeing as Tesco set up shop there specifically allowing people to shop in George Street and the area. There is no requirement at all to shop in Tesco, do local people not realise this? Now I have told you! There is a 2 hour 'rule' but there is no 'Tesco shoppers only' rule. Either way no-one should pay Highview if you ever get one of their silly letters.

As Westdene Seagull said, same with Aldi Portslade but that one has involved a fight and a half against Parking Eye. They not only tried to shorten the parking time (three times) because they weren't catching any victims but they/Aldi also ignored the planning permission and Aldi got fined by B&H Council. Oh, and Parking Eye put signs up saying 'Aldi customers only' which was in breach of the specific Council agreement - those signs lasted about a week thanks to a local hero (not me) dobbing them in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here