Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pep Guardiola: Man City boss says he has run out of players after naming six substitutes

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally, I like the bloke. Seems quite happy to have a chat with opposing players and give them praise. No where near as dour as Mourinho.

Quite clearly making a point. Most likely about the injuries his players have received but maybe also a sly dig at his board for not landing Mahrez or Sanchez?

Given the choice for someone to replace Hughton, who would you prefer, Mourinho, Wenger or Guardiola?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Citeh have only named 18 players in their 25 man squad. 4 HGP's

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Don’t get the criticism at all of Pep here - what is the point of having a youth team on the bench that you KNOW isn’t going to get a game? You can’t say he doesn’t trust the youth players, Diaz came on, Zinchenko was on the bench. Youth team players better off getting 90 minutes v Swansea in that game, rather than go sit on a bench without coming on. City still had SIX players on the bench, you can only make THREE subs. Even if they made all three subs (which they didn’t), still THREE players wouldn’t get a game anyways...

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Pep has a fantastic ability to view the game differently to most managers in how he micro manages player movement to achieve superiority. However this comes with a need to have exactly the right players to play in each position on the field in order to carry out his tactical plan. This has enabled him to win trophies and play what many people consider to be attractive football.

Does this in itself though make him a great manager? Could he achieve success in the same way if he didn't have money to spend on the right players to fit the right roles? This fascinates me because I don’t actually believe he could be successful at a lower league club that couldn’t afford the skills and intelligence required for his system.

This then begs the question as to whether he is a better manager than someone like Big Sam who I believe has proved he can go into any club and help them to be better and even almost guarantee survival in a relegation dogfight.

PS I realise this doesn’t address the topic of this thread

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I love Pep, great manager.

If it’s his way of highlighting the digusting, potentially career ending challenges his fantastic team have to endure from thuggish British defenders every week then fair play. It’s got to stop.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pep has a fantastic ability to view the game differently to most managers in how he micro manages player movement to achieve superiority. However this comes with a need to have exactly the right players to play in each position on the field in order to carry out his tactical plan. This has enabled him to win trophies and play what many people consider to be attractive football.

Does this in itself though make him a great manager? Could he achieve success in the same way if he didn't have money to spend on the right players to fit the right roles? This fascinates me because I don’t actually believe he could be successful at a lower league club that couldn’t afford the skills and intelligence required for his system.

This then begs the question as to whether he is a better manager than someone like Big Sam who I believe has proved he can go into any club and help them to be better and even almost guarantee survival in a relegation dogfight.

PS I realise this doesn’t address the topic of this thread

Very hard to reply to your messages without thinking about Killing Moon. :lolol:

Anyway, yes, spot on. Extremely interesting point. I guess that if you have a club like an F1 car you need a PG. If you club is like a rallycross outfit then you need Big Sam. Whether you decide to make your team F1 or ralleycross depends on the depth of your pockets. And once you have gone F1, the weft of the drivers gloves and he slipperinss of the leather on the driver's seat do become an issue.

btw ps apologies to anyone who finds my reply condscending, arrogant or in any other way offensive.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don’t get the criticism at all of Pep here - what is the point of having a youth team on the bench that you KNOW isn’t going to get a game? You can’t say he doesn’t trust the youth players, Diaz came on, Zinchenko was on the bench. Youth team players better off getting 90 minutes v Swansea in that game, rather than go sit on a bench without coming on. City still had SIX players on the bench, you can only make THREE subs. Even if they made all three subs (which they didn’t), still THREE players wouldn’t get a game anyways...

I agree totally with your points later on in that post. But with regards to the first sentence we named Molumby on the bench at Arsenal. You, me, Chris Hughton and even, deep down, his parents must have known he wasn't coming on but what a fantastic experience, It says to the kid that he's on the verge, that he can make it, and it gives him experience of a big ground and first team ways without dropping him in the shit. If you have a youngster you rate then why wouldn't you include them? Says more to me about how much City intend to use their youth set up.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Very hard to reply to your messages without thinking about Killing Moon. :lolol:

Anyway, yes, spot on. Extremely interesting point. I guess that if you have a club like an F1 car you need a PG. If you club is like a rallycross outfit then you ned Big Sam. Whether you decide to make your team F1 or ralleycross depends on the depth of your pockets. And once you have gone F1, the weft of the drivers gloves and he slipperinss of th leathr on the driver's seat do become an issue.

btw ps apologies to anyone who finds my reply condscending, arrogant or in any other way offensive.

Well if your comparisons are correct, what class of vehicular racing competition would you categorize Palarse in?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
What a load of tosh. Reserves or youth team could have filled the void. Pity there's not a fine. How many players do they have

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well if your comparisons are correct, what class of vehicular racing competition would you categorize Palarse in?

You cross them, and I'll nut them in :lolol:

maxresdefault.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a load of tosh. Reserves or youth team could have filled the void. Pity there's not a fine. How many players do they have

No, no. This is all very High End. Imagine you are involved in a long erotic fantasy role playing thing with your partner. You are all set for an evening of continuation, equipment and lotions ready, and you find you can't make it home till its much too late. Do you text the landlord down your local pub and ask him to do a shout out for a stand in? I don't think so!

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Slightly off topic but didn't Gus Poyet once say that if he was allowed seven subs, one would always be a development player 'for the experience'. After the rule change I don't think he did it once.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Who cares? I mean, really, who does actually care?

Everything managers do these days in relation to the media is absolute nonsense. Guardiola, Wenger, Mourinho (in particular), Klopp, they're all just as bad. Has any one of them every given an actual honest answer in a press conference?

Do what I do, watch the highlights, ignore the pressers. Makes football much more enjoyable.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
from what I understood there is some sort of restriction which wouldn't have allowed a youth player to have been eligible for the bench if they had played the day before. Can anyone confirm this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here