Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People who do charity work that would be a better option at left back than Calderon

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
We all know he's Houghton's third choice LB, but CH was not able to select 2nd choice for a full game.
I just wonder whether the better option would have been to start with Liam Rossenior and bring Calde on when he ran out of gas.
Don't think it helped with another new face at left wing - maybe Skalak for Murphy was one change too many?

Good post. I have to add that i do not think Calde was at fault with any of the goals.
Heroes to Zeros. We already have threads slating Goldson, Stockdale and Hughton, yet Stockdale has been brilliant this season and has won us many points, Goldson has been very good, and Hughton has made some good decisions.
Today the team did not play well and in hindsight the team selection was wrong. A bad day all around, but best to have a below par performance from all if you get beaten.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's knee-jerk reaction. And then there's [MENTION=26747]Black Rod[/MENTION] jerk reaction. Why pick on Calde on a universally rubbish day at the office? Sake!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The whole defence had a mare today and I feel that Cardiff targetted Calde. All season the defence has had a rock solid Kayal in front and Stockdale behind them to give them confidence and protection. No Kayal at all today and Stockdale went missing more than anyone. Hughton clearly agrees he didn't have a great game what with taking him off at half time. However, to target someone who is doing their best out of position is a bit pathetic.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He was awful today. There genuinely wasn't a positive from his performance and he was so far out of position for their first 3 goals, but it was a bad day all round. onwards and upwards.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As few words as poss here, nah, fxxk it, let's do it like Mullers!

Your comments ain't worth jack sxxt :tosser:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Not one of those players can honestly say they weren't awful today. Can't lay the blame for Zamora's miss, Stockdale's pass for the second, Sidwell and Crofts' shambolic displays in midfield, Goldson giving away the penalty and plenty of other individual mistakes and crap performances at Calde's door. They were all as bad as each other.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
He was awful today. There genuinely wasn't a positive from his performance and he was so far out of position for their first 3 goals, but it was a bad day all round. onwards and upwards.

First goal: he was covering the wing, Sidwell stood still and let Pilkington run unmarked through the centre.
Second goal: he had pushed up as we had the ball - Stockdale gave it away and then let the shot go through him - again, through the middle of the defence.
Third goal: the ball cannoned off Goldson, Dunk ran away from the scorer, Calde tried to get inside to cover him, but couldn't get there in time.

He was not out of position, or in any way culpable for any of these.

He nearly scored.

Your assessment of him being utterly without merit today simply isn't true.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
First goal: he was covering the wing, Sidwell stood still and let Pilkington run unmarked through the centre.
Second goal: he had pushed up as we had the ball - Stockdale gave it away and then let the shot go through him - again, through the middle of the defence.
Third goal: the ball cannoned off Goldson, Dunk ran away from the scorer, Calde tried to get inside to cover him, but couldn't get there in time.

He was not out of position, or in any way culpable for any of these.

He nearly scored.

Your assessment of him being utterly without merit today simply isn't true.

I'm guessing that was why he was the one taken off at half time... :ffsparr:

The mere fact you've tried to use him nearly scoring from a speculative 30 yarder as a positive illustrates how much you're clutching for straws today, both from his performance and from the game as a whole.

As for the three goals, go back and watch them again. Ask yourself where you'd want your left back in each of those situations. I can promise you one thing - it's no where near where Calderon positions himself. Also ask yourself what the impact is on those around him when he takes up these positions...

Anyway, onwards and upwards as I said. Hopefully Rosenior will be fit to start from Tuesday.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Admittedly I was squinting into a hurricane but did nobody else think the tackle on calde in the first minute or so potentially worthy of a red? Calde seemed to do a mid air 180 and land on his back, and was down for a while. Looked as though the defender went in with two feet?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As CH said in his post match interview, when you win you win as a team.
This should be the same when losing a game.
You cannot blame individuals.
Calde is/has been a good servant for Brighton, and you cannot ask for more. :albion2:

Mother Teresa at LB :nono:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Admittedly I was squinting into a hurricane but did nobody else think the tackle on calde in the first minute or so potentially worthy of a red? Calde seemed to do a mid air 180 and land on his back, and was down for a while. Looked as though the defender went in with two feet?

One of the Sky pundits reckoned the Cardiff player was a bit fortunate there.

I think if it hadn't have happened within the very opening stages of the game, a red might have been shown.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Could easily have been a red. Two of the three Sky pundits (including Holloway) thought it should have been red.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

There was a very good replay which showed clearly it was one foot tackle with other leg trailing on ground. Very late but a yellow. Can't have helped his pace later though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here