Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People who change names of popular/well known things ie. Arsgas (Argus)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What's your problem? Quite a normal thing, nicknames, or made-up names for things or practices that then become universally or widely used. Listen to footballers (or cricketers) being interviewed about their team mates - Stockers, Sidders, Giggsy, Scholesey - the list could go on and on.
Made up words become 'legit' if universally used - for example, what has 'gooner' got to do with Arsenal, after all? Nothing, so why use it? - answer: it's used because everyone knows what it means.
There's a good reason why the Guardian gets called the Grauniad, and everybody knew why the News of the World was called the News of the Screws!
And don't even ask where some of the words for certain sexual practices came from! Someone, somewhere, made them up, that's all. Common useage and development of the English language.
Geez, one day some idiot might come up with a collective noun for posters on North Stand Chat.......

NSCers anybody..........?

'Gooner' is a version of 'Gunner'...........so completely to do with Arsenal and it's history.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The football team names are a little sad.

That said, I like to say MK DONGS.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why? It's a completely different word. It can't even be explained by local dialect/pronunciation. That argument isn't even a rooner.

It's on Wiki, it must be true......

London based Arsenal Football Club has developed a strong following since its founding in 1886. Arsenal's fans are often referred to as Gooners, the name derived from the team's nickname, the "Gunners".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's on Wiki, it must be true......

London based Arsenal Football Club has developed a strong following since its founding in 1886. Arsenal's fans are often referred to as Gooners, the name derived from the team's nickname, the "Gunners".
Yes, I know that they're known as Gooners. The nickname The Gunners is perfectly understandable, the team having originally been known as Woolwich Arsenal. But pronouncing Gunner as 'Gooner' doesn't have any logical justification. Such a mis-pronunciation might possibly have occurred 'oop north, like, bah tat' and all that, but not in the dialects of North London.
Besides which, if you read my entire post, you would have seen that I was making the point that new words coming into the language is a perfectly normal thing - even if their derivation is dubious.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whatever you do don't google monkey face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c8c4b718700af65444f2cc6c7d2fc0d8.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here