Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People on Police Bail

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
OK, So, hypothetically, if it's not in the bail conditions, you would be free to travel to, for example, New York.
Don't the US immigration have strict entry conditions?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
OK, So, hypothetically, if it's not in the bail conditions, you would be free to travel to, for example, New York.
Don't the US immigration have strict entry conditions?

US has the strictest immigration conditions in the world.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
When you are bailed by police it will be to return to the police station or attend court. If bail in unconditional then you are free to go about your lawful business without hindrance.

As far as I know, foreign travel isn't forbidden but if it were me I would check with the US embassy, british passport control and the police.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
When you are bailed by police it will be to return to the police station or attend court. If bail in unconditional then you are free to go about your lawful business without hindrance.

As far as I know, foreign travel isn't forbidden but if it were me I would check with the US embassy, british passport control and the police.

Leaving the country may not be a condition of this bail, but it doesn't mean the country you're travelling to will let you in. As has been said, the US are very strict about criminal records etc.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Unconditional bail should be free to travel, only been questioned to answer an alleged offence, not been charged or convicted. If charged and on unconditional bail to court you should still be free to travel to US but would double check with US Embassy. I believe its only cautions or convictions they hit you hard on.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
When you travel to the US and do not have a visa you have to fill out an online visa-waiver (ESTA) there are several questions you have to fill out truthfully and if you the particular crime the person is 'accused of is mentioned they may have to go to US Embassy and apply for a visa.
Always check online or by phone to the US embassy to check the situation.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
When you are bailed by police it will be to return to the police station or attend court.

If it's police bail it will be to return to the police station that is stated on the bail notice. It will be at that stage whether a charge is made to attend court or not.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I am fairly sure that NY you cannot go if you have any record withing a certain number of years it is very well known for being strict, but in EU if unconditional bail then you can do as you want you are not actually guilty of anything as your on bail awaiting a trial as others have pointed out

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Regarding entering the States under the visa waiver programme.

Yes, they are very strict, but at present they don't share data with The UK unlike the way they do with Canada. I know of people in the past who have developed 'temporary amnesia' when filling out what used to be the I.94 form regarding criminal convictions. Unless the US have you on a no fly list or any other kind of watch list, chances are, anyone on bail or even a conviction will slip through the net, so long as they don't raise any red flags. Not condoning or recommending it, but that's the way it is.

Of those I mentioned, it did return to bite one person in the arse. He required a multiple entry visa for his new job as Cabin Crew for an airline. He needed to get a Criminal records check from the UK Police which is when his past caught up with him. He was screwed & put on a persona non grata list after telling fibs about his past when he travelled on a visa waiver.

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Regarding entering the States under the visa waiver programme.

Yes, they are very strict, but at present they don't share data with The UK unlike the way they do with Canada. I know of people in the past who have developed 'temporary amnesia' when filling out what used to be the I.94 form regarding criminal convictions. Unless the US have you on a no fly list or any other kind of watch list, chances are, anyone on bail or even a conviction will slip through the net, so long as they don't raise any red flags. Not condoning or recommending it, but that's the way it is.

Bit of a risk if you get there and they do not let you in.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Bail to return to a police station pre charge cannot contain conditions, it used to be known as 47/3 bail, but has changed to 34/5 for some reason unless the bail is for the explicit purpose of obtaining CPS advice (37/7 bail) In this case bail conditions can be placed upon the bailee. However, bizarrely, although you can be arrested for breaching this bail, it Isn't enforceable as such and you'll just be rebailed unless the officers are in a position to charge. But, any breaches of this will be noted and used to decide whether you get bail at a later date if charged.

If however, you have been charged and bailed to appear at court, or bailed from court to a later date in court, bail conditions can be Placed on the bailee as the court or custody officer sees fit to ensure attendance at court or to prevent inference with witnesses or curfews and the like.

So, after all that waffle, as a general rule they can request you surrender your passport post charge (or pre if 37/7) if they deem it necessary... Hope this helps!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here