Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penzance, nancledra etc advice...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I recently aqquired some land in this area and on the land is a large stone circle, a henge. I have been down to dig test trenches etc but am heading back at the end of the month to explore further the history of the local area . Anyone recommend places to visit of ancient/historical interest please?

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
Julian Cope's 'The Modern Antiquarian' will tell you a lot about henge's, quoits etc of the West Penwith area.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Be careful, if you start digging up scheduled ancient monuments you could find yourself in the do-do! Even if it is on your land.

Don't worry, it's all done with consent, knowledge and training etc.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Penzance is known as "Men's Pants" by Naval Ratings at nearby RNAS Culdrose.
Go to the Blue Anchor in Helston & try some Spingo. It is the devils own urine; now that is historic!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thanks Original. I shall be mainly taking part in healthy pursuits apart from local ales so I may leave Spingo and boystrous navy pubs alone on this particular trip!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Bit more modern history than ancient, but the Cornish tin mines are very interesting, the history of penzance pilchard fishing. But my favourite is the minack theatre cut out of the cliff and looks over the fabulous portcurno beach, the marconi museaum is also there.

Bit more modern history than ancient, but the Cornish tin mines are very interesting, the history of penzance pilchard fishing. But my favourite is the minack theatre cut out of the cliff and looks over the fabulous portcurno beach, the marconi museaum is also there.
My ex-mother-in-law's cousin, Jack Trounson, was a historian of Cornish tin miners (as well as being someone who worked for many years in the industry). There are some interesting books by him still available, including a few collections of old photographs. If you are interested, they're worth looking out for.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Go for a walk up Trencrom Hill..... I used to do it quite often when I lived in the area, it's quite nice. And drink Doom Bar and Tribute. And Betty Stoggs. :thumbsup:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
There's the Merry Maidens stone circle, south west of Penzance towards Lamorna - my photo from this afternoon:

IMG_6427.JPG

Not sure what you're actually after, though.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My ex-mother-in-law's cousin, Jack Trounson, was a historian of Cornish tin miners (as well as being someone who worked for many years in the industry). There are some interesting books by him still available, including a few collections of old photographs. If you are interested, they're worth looking out for.

Thanks I will, I do not live far from Gunnislake and Calstock which was the centre of the tin and copper mining. If you know where to look there are many old mine entrances and the area is still a mass of old mineshafts you have to be very careful when buying a house in the tamar valley. The whole history of how they mined and shipped it is extraordinary.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thanks chaps, The whole area is rife with tin mining history in fact the place I normally stay is a converted counting house.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here