Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Penalty taking.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Time to let it go.

The Swiss hit perfect penalties against the French and then abject ones against Spain.
It is a lottery.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I read that penalty was Sakas first ever professional penalty kick. With hindsight it was pretty naive to put him up to it.Bizarre from Southgate, doubly so when you consider his PK in that shootout

I've made no secret, even before the tournament, that I'm no fan of Southgate and this decision is beyond bizarre. It seems that in training camp they have been practising penalties and the order was based on the meticulous records of those. To put that pressure on a 19 year old who's never taken a penalty in a senior game is bordering on sadistic. Especially bearing in mind Southgate's own experience!!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i think you have to have the guts / confidence / balls to put the ball in the top corner just like you need to have the confidence / balls to put your hand up to take a penalty in a major comp shoot out.....still disappointed at some of the more senior players for letting the likes of Sancho and Sako shoulder the load and the resultant shit storm that has come after their misses.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've made no secret, even before the tournament, that I'm no fan of Southgate and this decision is beyond bizarre. It seems that in training camp they have been practising penalties and the order was based on the meticulous records of those. To put that pressure on a 19 year old who's never taken a penalty in a senior game is bordering on sadistic. Especially bearing in mind Southgate's own experience!!

you could easily draw a conclusion that he set them up to be the heroes but unfortunately it backfired badly.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Time to let it go.

The Swiss hit perfect penalties against the French and then abject ones against Spain.
It is a lottery.

And a lottery England will always always lose to a quality team. Each time England lose, they make the next the one that little bit harder to win. This generation is now ruined by the final misses, Christ knows why the team is set-up to get draws against the top countries when it’s obvious they’ll crack like a ****ing egg each time and role over in the shoot out.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
i think you have to have the guts / confidence / balls to put the ball in the top corner just like you need to have the confidence / balls to put your hand up to take a penalty in a major comp shoot out.....still disappointed at some of the more senior players for letting the likes of Sancho and Sako shoulder the load and the resultant shit storm that has come after their misses.

Who were the more senior players who didn't put themselves forward?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m guessing the amount of international trophies in a country’s cabinet directly correlates with their penalty shoot out record. You should never ever expect silverware if your country is ****ing shit at penalties like England.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

The frustrating thing for me is that England make no secret of the fact that they leave no stone unturned in preparation and go to the nth degree with analysis. Then they leave the fifth penalty to someone who has never taken a senior penalty before.

How do you know how he is going to react?

For me it's like public speaking. If you've never done it before it can be horrific and your mind just shuts down.

The penalty management in that game was inept.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Spot on re the penalty decision - bringing on two subs for pens only was also stupid.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It is a lottery.

I cannot stand this phrase. It is NOT a lottery at all. Otherwise the Germans wouldn't always win.

You absolutely can practice penalties and massively increase your chances of winning shoot outs. In Euro 96, Venables was walking around asking who wanted to take a penalty. They hadn't even decided before the game who would be taking them. It was an unbelievably amateur approach, and there is no way the Germans were unprepared like this.

England now have a structured and scientific approach to penalty shoot-outs, and have won 2 out of 3 of their last ones, which is a good enough ratio. Only Rashford's penalty missed the target, and that was only by a couple of inches. On another day we win that shoot out.

England had practiced penalties extensively and used the players who had the highest scoring percentage. The tweak Southgate should have made was to use the players with the best percentages who had actually taken part in the game, rather than bring two on in the last minute of extra time who had no feel for the ball and who weren't warmed up into the game properly.

He'll surely learn from that, and if we win the next one then that's 3 out of 4, which is as good a ratio as you will find from anyone (except the Germans, obviously).

We don't tend to like the concept of learning things in football in this country, do we? Southgate has had two tournaments now and clearly learnt from the first one, and will now have learnt from the second one. But a lot of people seem to think that rather than taking these lessons into a third tournament, it would be better to throw somebody new in and make them have to start learning from scratch again. It's an odd concept, I think.

As for the style of penalties, whatever works best for each individual taker, surely? If I was taking a really important (first or last) penalty in a shoot out I'd smash it high and down the middle. The keeper is always going to pick a side and hurl himself at it in that situation. He's not going to stay still and wait.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

not going down that route ....its fairly obvious....also DCL on the bench and im sure Henderson , Sterling and Grealish are more than capable of putting a penalty away .....but no , let's throw the 19 year old kid under the bus....very poor from Palace Gaz.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Apparently, penalties were practiced continually in the training camp plus they had psychological sessions where they talked about "owning the process."

We then scored 2/5 in a shoot out plus Kane cocked one up vs. Denmark but was fortunate the rebound dropped straight in the middle of the goal.

All of this suggests you might as well forget all that guff and just walk up, leather it and hope for the best. Can't do much worse. :shrug:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I imagine most put themselves forward, but I believe Southgate should have coached, persuaded Shaw, Walker, Grealish for example to take penalties before Saka and Sancho. That would have been sensible use of the more senior players who should clearly have had a better chance of handling the pressure cooker.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
not going down that route ....its fairly obvious....also DCL on the bench and im sure Henderson , Sterling and Grealish are more than capable of putting a penalty away .....but no , let's throw the 19 year old kid under the bus....very poor from Palace Gaz.

It was decided before the game who was taking them. What are Sterling and Grealish supposed to do, overrule the manager? Grealish has taken one professional penalty in his life and missed it. Sterling has missed his last 3. Henderson missed his last 2 for England.

Jimmy Grimble

I still think if Rashford’s went in, England end up winning.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Grealish has openly defended accusations of shirking the penalties.

It was all down to Southgate.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Alan Shearer basically always whacked it at the top corner as hard as he could, and it worked out pretty well for him. Just like that tactic worked pretty well for Harry Maguire on Sunday.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I imagine most put themselves forward, but I believe Southgate should have coached, persuaded Shaw, Walker, Grealish for example to take penalties before Saka and Sancho. That would have been sensible use of the more senior players who should clearly have had a better chance of handling the pressure cooker.

I don't buy this pressure cooker theory at all. The young are fearless. I'd rather have a 19 year old who thinks he's invincible taking a penalty than an experienced 28 year old who understands the hopes of a nation weigh on his shoulders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here