Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Penalty Charge Notice Advice Needed

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've parked in Horsham a few times, and I'd read that in the same way that it's meant to be read: i.e. that between 10am & 12pm, only permit holders may use the space.

Stands to reason that would be the case, surely, as these rules are laid out to allow residents space to park and prevent commuters from using them (especially in locations around railway stations).

Appeal by all means, but don't be surprised if they tell you to poke it: after all, if they allowed an appeal due to a supposedly confusing sign (which conformed entirely to regulations), then they'd end up paying back thousands of people, presumably. That ain't going to happen.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In most cases the council will not continue to the independant tribunal stage as you will not be held responsible for costs even if you lose and it will cost them to carry it through. Not guaranteed but they usually withdraw at the last stage.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
If it's any consolation, I think the sign could be MUCH clearer.

It starts by saying "Parking during these times", when it should say "NO Parking during these times". Except on Bank Holidays, or for Permit Holders. And what does the "E" mean?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Not much consolation but I can't really understand that one either. Faced with that I would move somewhere else, just in case

S

smileyweb

Thanks for all the responses, folks.

It looks like mainly B, as I was expecting, and I should probably chalk it up to experience - but as it's money I really can't afford at the moment I think I’ll try an appeal / apologising first.

The sign is laid out in such a way that it will catch out people who only see the P and the times , the wording "Permit holders only" at the bottom instead of the top is a sure money earner. Answer = B

Yup, exactly what I did (and many others have done). Interestingly, the 2002 regulations quoted earlier in the thread show that the “permit X only" type should be at the top along with the parking times, so worth a try at least.

I've parked in Horsham a few times, and I'd read that in the same way that it's meant to be read: i.e. that between 10am & 12pm, only permit holders may use the space.

Stands to reason that would be the case, surely, as these rules are laid out to allow residents space to park and prevent commuters from using them (especially in locations around railway stations).​

That's what you would think, especially as New Street runs parallel to Horsham station, but the areas nearest the station are all “anyone can park here after 10am” and I would have parked up there if I'd thought I couldn't park where I did at the far-end of New Street furthest from the station / had taken my brain out with me.

Hence the confusion, your honour.:facepalm:

You should of parked in the bay nearest Brighton Road Baptist Church, when the street lights were changed they took away the sign for that parking bay and now all tickets for that bay are unenforceable. I own a business on New Street and to be fair the Traffic Wardens are pretty good and fair, also HDC are very good when you appeal a ticket, if you write to them and explain that you've made an honest mistake and misread the sign, you may be surprised at the response. Also if you ever need your car looking at by a very Albion friendly garage, pop in and see me (opposite the church) at the bottom of New Street.

Noted - thanks, mate, will do.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I agree the sign is ambiguous, you are left to guess the meaning from an array of pictures and words. It is also not explicit what non-permit holders should do.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
...and surely the big 'E' at the bottom right of the sign means "Evening", therefore, Permit Holders only can park here in the Evening, if they want to, on a Thursday.

!!!!!!!!!!!STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
View attachment 62745

Picture (hopefully) attached.

A) Am I right to be confused / is it as it should be, legally?

B) Nope, you're a f*ckwit. Shut up and pay up.

I'm off to do an AITC after-school club, and will be back online later this evening. Please be gentle with me...
Quite frankly and quite seriously I have no idea what that sighn means and I would never park there. So an A) for me sir.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
View attachment 62745

Picture (hopefully) attached.

A) Am I right to be confused / is it as it should be, legally?

B) Nope, you're a f*ckwit. Shut up and pay up.

I'm off to do an AITC after-school club, and will be back online later this evening. Please be gentle with me...

Would that have been zip zap by chance.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I read it as parking is allowed between 10-12 if you're a permit holder, but am sure that that can't be right. So A from me; it's not clear.

I used to deliver papers to that block of flats about 25 years ago. One bloke used to have the Sunday Sport delivered. It was a good job I didn't have school on that day; the round always took me about 10 mins longer as I would have a good flick through its pages in the corridor before posting it through his letter box. Ah, the days of being a teenager before the internet.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
12pm is certainly ambiguous - not that it helps if the ticket is timed before 12 noon.

12 noon is neither post-meridiem nor ante-meridiem - it is the meridiem
12 midnight is both 12 hours post-meridiem of one day and ante-meridiem of the following day

S

smileyweb

Appeal went in yesterday. Not hopeful, but we'll see...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Polite, but firm, rejection letter received today - so will be paying up. Lesson learnt (take brain next time).

Don't give up at the first hurdle , put in an appeal to be held at an independent tribunal because the sign is designed to catch people out who speed read.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd still go to Pepipoo as often councils don't follow correct process for putting in restrictions.

hoxton_hockler

Feb 8, 2015
Surely permit holders can park any time, who buys a permit to park for two hours a day, so I'd have taken it to mean parking is ok for everyone between 10 and 12. Definitely confusing, I'd appeal.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
What a surprising case of random thread necromancy!

I thought it would be because of an update to what happened. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here