Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Penalties Against

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Not really.

The Man Utd one occured 2mins - 3mins after the end of injury time. Only the ref can tell you why he decided to play that amount of Fergie time but I'm assuming he made a mistake with his own stop watch with him stopping and not restarting it sometime before Solly's equaliser.

And what could have Lallana done about the Spurs penalty, he jumped for a legitimate header whilst Kane reverse-dived into his mid-rift, with no intention of ever getting the ball, upending and almost seriously injuring him.

We've had a slice of bad luck 3 times along with daft tackles or dodgy passes for the other ones. Take away those 3 dodgy penalties and we're in the middle of the penalties conceded tables. Another example of the worst luck in a season this club has ever seen on the pitch.

Take your tin foil hat off.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What I don't understand, is that if you look at the number of touches we have in the box compared to our opponents after pretty much every game, it's a lot more, but we never get penalties.

We're just less street-wise than other teams and refs know we're an easy target as Potter won't slam them in the media for anything they do

:ffsparr:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Feel free to expand

Brighton never getting a penalty - Brighton goth 5th most after Leicester, United, Pool and City.

Brighton not getting penalties because GP is not harassing them after games - Brighton do get penalties, and being some kind of rude jerk is very unlikely to make refs willing to give you things for free... common sense. If you go to a café and say "****ing ****, give me coffee" or if you say "hi dearest I'd like to buy a cup of coffee", what is most likely going to give you cream on top? If being rude and full of hate would result in more penalties given, Tottenham would get one every day. Frankly though I dont think it matters, to become a ref you need to have dirty amounts of integrity and not be affected by what people are saying.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Brighton never getting a penalty - Brighton goth 5th most after Leicester, United, Pool and City.

Brighton not getting penalties because GP is not harassing them after games - Brighton do get penalties, and being some kind of rude jerk is very unlikely to make refs willing to give you things for free... common sense. If you go to a café and say "****ing ****, give me coffee" or if you say "hi dearest I'd like to buy a cup of coffee", what is most likely going to give you cream on top? If being rude and full of hate would result in more penalties given, Tottenham would get one every day. Frankly though I dont think it matters, to become a ref you need to have dirty amounts of integrity and not be affected by what people are saying.

I'm with you Swanny, although I think there is a grain of truth in mouthy (or scary) managers tending to get more for their teams. Although that might be just the 'big team bias' at play

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Not really.

And what could have Lallana done about the Spurs penalty, he jumped for a legitimate header whilst Kane reverse-dived into his mid-rift, with no intention of ever getting the ball, upending and almost seriously injuring him.

It was shortly after this that Kane's tactic of doing this to try to win freekicks and penalties was widely highlighted, and the refs were more wise to and started looking out for this, affecting the decisions they make meaning it was less likely to be awarded

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm with you Swanny, although I think there is a grain of truth in mouthy (or scary) managers tending to get more for their teams. Although that might be just the 'big team bias' at play

It's blatantly true.

Refs have been taking the easy way out for years.

Favouring home teams, big name players, big clubs. More recently the celebrity managers, Mourinho, Klopp etc. Their ferocity with which they excoriate refs is carefully calculated to deter other refs from deciding against their team in the future.

It's worth quite a few points per season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here