Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pele RIP

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very sad. A genuine legend and a true ambassador for the game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That's sad. What a privilege that you got to see him play live. A few weeks back there was a brilliant video of all the modern greats showing off their skills - matched by archive footage of Pele doing the same thing, long before. Worth seeking out.
I’ve seen that, it’s brilliant isn’t it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I grew up reading books about his incredible skills, goals and accomplishments. He has been a lifelong inspiration to me and am typing this in tears.

A man who truly transcended football.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
THe fact all the 'pro's' even now, still want to be as good says so much.

The fact none of them are says everything.

Bobby Moore was in the same class

The modern crop haven't even graduated to the same school

RIP to the greatest footballer

He also did some work with pfizer I believe. That took bigger balls than most. ✊🏽

Last edited:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Going to buck the trend here, great player yes and a sad loss but the greatest ever? Really? Greatest of his era perhaps but he only ever played for Santos and New York Cosmos, never played in any of the top leagues and his international record whilst good and had 3 WC wins isn't the best out there, plenty of other players scored more international goals and a few surpassed his goals to game ratio. All the hype about scoring 1100-1200 goals is nonsense, half of those were in exhibition matches.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Sad news, as others have said - I guess we all knew this was coming.

Being remembered as the best ever, what a legacy and what a man ... humility and stardom don’t always seem to mix, but with Pele it seemed he remained human and didn’t let his God given talent cloud his judgement as a human being.

There are too many to name playing today, who would do well to adopt even an ounce of his grace.

Rest in peace.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Going to buck the trend here, great player yes and a sad loss but the greatest ever? Really? Greatest of his era perhaps but he only ever played for Santos and New York Cosmos, never played in any of the top leagues and his international record whilst good and had 3 WC wins isn't the best out there, plenty of other players scored more international goals and a few surpassed his goals to game ratio. All the hype about scoring 1100-1200 goals is nonsense, half of those were in exhibition matches.
When Pele played for Santos European football wasn't considered the best in the world
Pele didn't rely on penalties to keep his ratio up either

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
https://twitter.com/KhaledBeydoun

“Pelé is one of the few who contradicted my theory: instead of fifteen minutes of fame, he will have fifteen centuries.” — Andy Warhol

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mexico 1970, I was 10 years old, watching a black & white TV, couldn't remember much about the 1966 World Cup but suddenly saw this bunch of Brazilians playing everyone off the park. Surely not us though?

England vs.Brazil still my favourite ever game of football. You just knew that the winner of this game would take the Cup. Bobby Moore was magnificent but Pele won it for Brazil. Should have been 2-0 to them but for that save!

Only George Best has approached him in my years of watching.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The greatest ever. Hero to many and a great ambassador.

9FDB09AD-084C-46DA-B1C5-0B8EEDD20432.jpeg

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’ve only ever seen clips of him playing, never live or a full match. That said he was the footballer who everyone wanted to be in the playground, RIP Pele

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here