Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PC Help required please!!!!

fatfingers

Aug 18, 2004
hove
Help anyone

I have just moved into a new flat, and whilst moving my pc fell over in the van, Now i am having broadband fitted today and i set up my home pc last night, only to find that my dvd drive will open and close but will not read the discs? off i popped to pc world brought a new one and installed it , but same thing happens. Checked it through device manager and has given me an error code of 41 (device installed but not readable), now i know i am going to need to install a disc with the new broadband so can anybody help with any suggestions , money tight at the mo so cant afford to get it repaired yet, what else could have broken in the fall? all leads correctly fitted and in place , and everything else works fine .

Help would be most appreciated

:angel:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
This is what microsoft says about device manager error code 41:

Code 41
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Recommended resolution

A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This error occurs when Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.

If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System, and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If you're using the same cable, make sure that is ok as well, could be worth checking that the pins on the motherboard aren't bent

*edit* or just try a new driver like microsoft advise. Learn to read the first reply :dunce:

Last edited:

fatfingers

Aug 18, 2004
hove
Thanks chaps , my problem is i do not have the internet at home(at work at the mo)

Rangdo , have tried this last night, but cant down load any drivers as not on the web? and cant be without the dvd drive?

desprateseagull , have checked all leads and chips?

but will try again when in.

thanks again lads:bowdown:

dont stop the susggestions coming though?

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
fatfingers said:
Thanks chaps , my problem is i do not have the internet at home(at work at the mo)

Rangdo , have tried this last night, but cant down load any drivers as not on the web? and cant be without the dvd drive?

Can't you download the drivers you need from work and take them home on a CD or something as you obviously have the internet there.

Also, maybe take the new drive you bought back and get a plug and play USB one if you can. Should solve the problem easily enough.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
have you got any other drives attached to the PC? if so, check your jumper settings...on the back of your drive you'll have a two rows of 4 pins with a little (probably) black plug inserted into the pins.

Make sure that if you have two or more drives, regardless of whether they are hard drives or disk drives, that the jumper settings are set correctly.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Guinness Dave said:
have you tried turning it off then on again

Computer says no

Attachments

• sunsearchers.jpg
    sunsearchers.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 113

fatfingers

Aug 18, 2004
hove
Rangdo said:
Can't you download the drivers you need from work and take them home on a CD or something as you obviously have the internet there.

Also, maybe take the new drive you bought back and get a plug and play USB one if you can. Should solve the problem easily enough.

i could if i could then be able to load them on at home ? but thats my problem the dvd/cd drive is not reading?:down:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
fatfingers said:
i could if i could then be able to load them on at home ? but thats my problem the dvd/cd drive is not reading?:down:

Ooops yeah good point :dunce: . Other types of portable storage? USB flash stick, mobile phone?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Check the cables to the motherboard as another user suggested.

Make sure they are firmly pushed home both on the motherboard and device.

Make sure that the little jumper on the back of the drive is set correctly ie master or slave

fatfingers

Aug 18, 2004
hove
Whats this little " jumper" thingy? did not notice anything other than the power leads and the main scart lead from the mother board?

sorry i am a bit of a technofobe:dunce:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
fatfingers said:

A long shot but I use a couple of Pen Drives and I can download drivers to them.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Doesn't help with the original drive, but it's worth checking that the new drive doesn't require a minimum spec cable.

Some DVD/CD drives required UDMA 66 and in some instances UDMA 100 cables. If so, your ribbon cable may need upgrading to cope.

bobbyzam

Jul 5, 2006
London
As you said you still had power to your DVD drive, then it sounds to me as if either one of two things has happenend;

When your pc fell over in the van

1) That somehow damaged the DVD drive and it abilities to read disks.

2) or i would have thought more likely, caused a loose connection with the ribbon (IDE) cable that connects your DVD drive to the motherboard.

Therefore I would first of all, unplug the ribbon (IDE) cable from the motherboard and the back of the DVD drive. Then reattach it, push it firmly in to place both ends to ensure no loose connections.

If that still doesn't work and you believe the drive to be knackered. The only reason I can think that the new drive you have purchased doesn't work is that as someone said earlier your jumper settings are incorrect.

On the back of your DVD drive will be a set of gold metal pins that look a bit like this

:::

Above them will be the letters M and S. One is for master and the other for slave. Over one pair of pins will be a little plastic cap. Remove this cap with a pair of tweezers and put it on the other pair of pins and see if that works

fatfingers said:

Then you probably have to take your pc to a mate who has internet, plug in and download. I recently did this as my pc wouldn't burn cds properly. I downloaded a winamp application that enables it now, didn't even bother trying to recover the old one.

....or get one of those pen-drive thingies that plugs in the USB port, download to it from another p/c (could be done at a computer-station shop, there are two on Preston St ferinstance) and then take it home and transfer to your own pc. There are more ways to skin a cat these days, and those pendrives are a useful alternative to disc drives.

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Check that you didn't put a blank CD in the drive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here