Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PC Experts only please

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

If water has caused the damage then logic tells me you need to add the opposite of water to balance things out - you need to set your PC on fire.

Billy something tells me you ain't a PC Expert!

i reckon it rather depends on the differnce between 2 and 3 inches. being a desktop, it could be the difference between the hardrive being wet or not. until you fire it up, you wont know if its OK though.

I have fired it up and happy to see it come on but wasn't sure which of the three options to go for and whether they would wipe my software?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no option will wipe the software, they only relate to reseting the BIOS. as you've powered up, any damage to the harddrive circuitry is probably already done. if you're not risking data, only software installation, you can reinstall. cant be that bad to do shirley?

D

Deleted member 2719

no option will wipe the software, they only relate to reseting the BIOS. as you've powered up, any damage to the harddrive circuitry is probably already done. if you're not risking data, only software installation, you can reinstall. cant be that bad to do shirley?

Ok i will try in the morning, but i may well call our bespoke software guys in Ireland first as they have only just installed their software remotely on this pc and took them four hours solid to do all the tweaks.

Thanks for all your help.:thumbsup:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Ok, do it properly.
1/ Call Novatech and get them to establish if PC is damaged.
2/ If it is damaged, ask them if its a repair or replace job.
3/ If HDD is damaged and needs replacing, restore from daily backup [please tell me that the first thing you did after installing the software was take a backup] and all's well ....

If you're stuck on 3/ maybe you shouldn't be in business - not surely must have a disaster recovery / business continuity plan for your business, yes?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
If you're stuck on 3/ maybe you shouldn't be in business - not surely must have a disaster recovery / business continuity plan for your business, yes?

there are plenty of multi-billion pound companies that dont, or give it lip service, so i shouldnt be so harsh on a small business.

D

Deleted member 2719

Ok, do it properly.
1/ Call Novatech and get them to establish if PC is damaged.
2/ If it is damaged, ask them if its a repair or replace job.
3/ If HDD is damaged and needs replacing, restore from daily backup [please tell me that the first thing you did after installing the software was take a backup] and all's well ....

6 out of 10 for help, 9 out of 10 for sarcasm.

there are plenty of multi-billion pound companies that dont, or give it lip service, so i shouldnt be so harsh on a small business.

Thanks, we are a multi pound company.:thumbsup:

The new pc's has recovered and we are rocking and a rolling now, Novatech PC's are a 100% waterproof, IMO :thumbsup:.

Thanks everyone for you help.

:rave::rave::rave:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Thanks, we are a multi pound company.:thumbsup:

aye, but now you must learn from the experience. get a DR and backup plan, test/run through it regularly. it need not be expensive if you *plan* well. glad it worked out.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
6 out of 10 for help, 9 out of 10 for sarcasm.

Sorry, it wasn't intended to be sarcastic, but on re-reading it I can see how some might see it that way.

Backups are so simple to do now, and cheap, and without it, it could threaten your business existence.
Every home user should do backups too - simple copy to an external 1TB USB drive once a month - unless you really don't mind losing those bits of media, photos, etc. that are irreplaceable [family snaps type thing].

I also take periodic full drive images so that if I lose a HDD and have to replace hardware, I have the option of a full system / drive restore.

Does it show that I've been burned with a HDD failure in the past .....

D

Deleted member 2719

aye, but now you must learn from the experience. get a DR and backup plan, test/run through it regularly. it need not be expensive if you *plan* well. glad it worked out.

Sorry, it wasn't intended to be sarcastic, but on re-reading it I can see how some might see it that way.

Backups are so simple to do now, and cheap, and without it, it could threaten your business existence.
Every home user should do backups too - simple copy to an external 1TB USB drive once a month - unless you really don't mind losing those bits of media, photos, etc. that are irreplaceable [family snaps type thing].

I also take periodic full drive images so that if I lose a HDD and have to replace hardware, I have the option of a full system / drive restore.

Does it show that I've been burned with a HDD failure in the past .....

Sorry shropshire but i am hormonal because of the potential issues we had!

I probably didn't explain the full situation very well, we do have a DR in place although i have never called it that, as i was always brought up to do things in a belts and braces way and it is ingrained!

We do have a external HDD which we back up too it's just in this case we had only been in our office in our new unit for just a day or so and the pc's and the hard drives were all on the floor as i had put in a kitchen top from wall to wall and had not decided where i was going to place the seating and screens (therefore no holes had been put in it) this was all going to be done on Monday, the main next door burst friday night before.

Yes it was a 36 hour gamble that we didn't have tsunami and yep you guessed it!

We have been in business for 12 years never had anything like this before so my next step is to build a water tight capsule, with enough food and nsc coverage to last a ice age.

Lesson learned!!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
We have been in business for 12 years never had anything like this before so my next step is to build a water tight capsule, with enough food and nsc coverage to last a ice age.

:lolol: remember redundant wireless internet connections and battery backup to nable on site connection to the NSC oracle.

my company had massive UPS the size of a small hatch back and fireproof safes for key documents and backup tapes, located in the basement of the office. one day theres a burst water main up the road found its way into the basement, floods to about 3-4 foot deep (depending whos telling the story). ironically, though the server room itself was fine and above water, they had to cut the power to the UPS and therefore the server room. more recently we were using a data center near New York, run by a major company that speciallies in that sort of thing, redundant redundancies on everything. when those hurricane floods occured couple of year back the water was literally a couple inches from top of a retaining wall, the only thing between the now full flood plain and a multi-billion $ DR site. never underestimate water.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here