Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paying For Surgery

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Strange how over the years, the NHS system has now fallen into the grasp of the moralistic debate too. Fat people, smokers, druggies and alcoholics are the big target.

How about people doing dangerous, extreme and sports? That must a fair bit of NHS cash, ban sport too I say
Like cycling up Ditchling Beacon? :lol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Any political party that advocates the removal of the NHS being free at the point of delivery will be out of power for the next 25 years.

I kind of agree but it won't be that obvious - it will be drip fed to us. We already pay for eye tests ( used to be free ), dentistry ( having to pay a greater proportion of the costs than ever before ), prescriptions etc.

Too late, and people still want to vote Tory.

Tory and Labour governments are equally guilty of 'privatising' the NHS.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I think some parts of the NHS going private is inevitable in time. If you travel though anywhere else you would pay if you fell ill

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anything in moderation isn't bad for you, including smoking.

and anything in excess is bad for you. obsessing over fat and sugar just distracts from the main problem of excessive consumption. my parents are both technically obese (a relative term that been devalued lately), aside from the old man have too much beer in the past, they've never eated anything excessivly fatty and practically no sugar save an odd cake. they simply eat too much, portion sizes are excessive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The funding isn't the issue, it's the selling off the privatisation to their pals.

what a confused statement. are you also confusing "free at the point of delivery" with who is running the service? does it matter if a private company runs a hospital if you dont have to pay on entry and clinical outcomes are maintained? if so, why?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Anything in moderation isn't bad for you, including smoking. The health risks are (rightly) exaggerated which allows it to be heavily taxed and as a result raises £12bn a year for the treasury. I believe the same approach should be taken to foods with extremely high fat and sugar content and little nutritional value. This would both discourage the consumer from eating it excessively, but more importantly it would encourage the food producers and venders to make and sell more healthy products.

015-HealthPromoObesitySmallMarquee.jpg

pizza.jpg.492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg

Perhaps you are just trying to help, but I really do not want to live in your world .......

This man would be turning in his grave if he knew what was happening to the NHS.

uty2y8us.jpg

How much we spend on the NHS compared with other countries.

ty2ure4u.jpg

How we performed in 2010 compared with other countries.

nu8ymuha.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Once you start putting one person against each other that is the end of the NHS, you have to accept it for what it is and nobody is any more deserving than anyone else.
Blimey Ernest, that's probably the best post you've ever made!
Strange how over the years, the NHS system has now fallen into the grasp of the moralistic debate too. Fat people, smokers, druggies and alcoholics are the big target.

How about people doing dangerous, extreme and most often standard sports? That must a fair bit of NHS cash, ban sport too I say
Agreed. The insidious message is: why should all you decent people subsidise the treatment of the ne'er-do-wells? If they start wanting to charge smokers extra (despite the fact they've already paid for their treatment) you've opened the door, and soon everybody but organic vegans who go to bed at nine o'clock will be paying. Ernest has it spot on.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A lot of people genuinely aren't aware that, for example, a takeaway curry can be as much as 2000 calories - the entire daily allowance. Just one of those every Friday night WILL lead to obesity for many people. The same could be said for sugary products such as Coca Cola's, some people might have 4 or 5 cans a day, not realising that each can contains as many calories as a typical sandwich.

I agree that large portions definitely contribute, but it is not the main problem, which is a lack of awareness coupled with the availability and low cost of fatty/sugary foods.

Indeed but the introduction of a fat tax will make little impact. If government were serious about it then the best way to tackle it is to demand changes to the food industry. Sadly, the food industry is a heavy 'investor' in politics and government so nobody will do anything about it. During the last Labour government a report was written that highlighted the dodgy practices within the food industry and recommended how to get them to make healthier food with less fat, salt and sugar. A report that was buried once it hit the cabinet level.

The World Health Organisation also buried a similar report on junk food - why ? Because the food industry pays money into the WHO bank account.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sex change transgender surgery anyone ......

Its inevitable that some procedures need to be looked at as there are consequences, money is always being transferred away from other areas.

We the contributors/tax payers need feel that the care is targeting those we feel need it most.

I doubt whether it has ever been anything different.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Leaving aside the "you can be treated but you can't" debate There IS the question of the whole funding of the NHS. Back when it was started people smoked, drank, were in full employment - and didn't always live to pick up their pension. Also in those days hospitals did little more than take out your appendix and deliver your babies. Even then the 'totally free at the point of delivery' model broke after a few years and prescription charges were introduced. Now with the size of population, life expectancy and all the treatments available ... well, what do we do? Simply saying "increase the public funding' isn't the full answer.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I estimate that my cancer treatment since it started in 2006 runs into seven figures; - over 25 CT/MRI scans, five courses of chemotherapy, six pieces of surgery.............!

I'd be curious how much my recent cancer treatment cost, though I wouldn't like to be paying for it directly. 8 months of diagnosis, MRIs, endoscopies, CT scans, colonoscopies then eventually a major operation and a week in hospital. Bet that adds up to a hefty sum ( and this is the second time I've had cancer in my 51 years - neither time lifestyle causes)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'd be curious how much my recent cancer treatment cost, though I wouldn't like to be paying for it directly. 8 months of diagnosis, MRIs, endoscopies, CT scans, colonoscopies then eventually a major operation and a week in hospital. Bet that adds up to a hefty sum ( and this is the second time I've had cancer in my 51 years - neither time lifestyle causes)

It is unlikely that you would find someone that would object for the NHS/our taxes to pay for such treatment.

The point being that for me our lifestyle choices are just that, a choice, I am happy to receive educational information but wouldn't wish sanctions on access to treatment due to those choices for anyone.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Interesting thread for me
I've just undergone a pulmonary endarterectomy 3 weeks ago
Performed at papworth hospital as this is the only hospital on the UK to perform this operation and one of only 4 hospitals worldwide capable of doing this op.
There are only 4 surgeons able to perform this op too.
Was in theatre 10hrs and in hospital 2 weeks
We estimate this cost in excess of 60k
If the NHS was scrapped, life saving ops like this for the normal person would be unattainable.
We need to keep the NHS at any cost!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
So if we believe the hype the NHS is on borrowed time. And within 10 years we will operate an American style system with varying levels of health insurance depending on lifestyle choices and other mitigating factors.

Fair?

The big quote of the day is from a guy who says he's in favour as people who are overweight should be forced to pay as he doesn't think his taxes should be used to save someone who has made certain lifestyle choices.

I'm not overweight. I do smoke. I do drink. But if we operate this 'class' system of insurance where do certain cases stand.

Hereditary health issues that the individual has no control over. And what about the afore mentioned righteous health specimen. What if he knackered his knee/calf/shins due to excessive exercise. Is he any better or any less a burden on the health service die to his 'lifestyle choice'

Everything in moderation is the saying. That surely should apply if your vice is fags/booze/women/weights/tennis/road running etc etc

What are the chances that if we abandon the NHS, people will stop getting ill ?

America has the worst health care system in the world, we will find the money in this country, because it is the decent thing to do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The NHS can only be on it's knees if every penny given/spent is justified and their isn't enough, I don't believe that to be the case.
Ironically it's the level of bean counting middle management that the NHS could well do without.

Pretty much the exact same argument that can be leveled at the BBC.
There'd probably be so much money within the BBC if it was only made available to those that make TV and radio, and the people that run the 'business'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here