Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paying Extra for Cup Games

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Some clubs include a certain number of cup games on a season ticket, while others don't. Why the discrepancy? Just wondered how each club comes to the decision on this.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
we have been given first round of the league cup inclusive with ST in the past, but I guess if we want the big name signings and all that goes with it then cup games is extra money to pay for these players, I would guess Clubs use their own discresion

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Also costs clubs an absolute fortune if they include cup games in their package and subsequently they don't get any home cup games in the season.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Also costs clubs an absolute fortune if they include cup games in their package and subsequently they don't get any home cup games in the season.

Do they refund unused cup matches on season tickets then? Nothing comes free in football , so I assume three (for example) cup games on a season ticket are incorporated into the overall price... which means if aything the club are making a saving by not having home games. Fans have paid for something they don't subsequently get...

Last edited:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Do they refund unused cup matches on season tickets then? Nothing comes free in football , so I assume three (for example) cup games on a season ticket are incorporated into the overall price... which means if aything the club are making a saving by not having home games. Fans have paid for something they don't subsequently get...

No - you are indeed assuming there. If, as is pointed out, clubs use their discretion, whether they factor it in or not, you don't get a refund. Why would they factor it in and then refund it out?

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
I don't understand how it would cost them money in the event of away cup games otherwise, that's all. If a couple of home games are factored in to the season ticket, how does it cost the club money either way?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Some clubs include a certain number of cup games on a season ticket, while others don't. Why the discrepancy? Just wondered how each club comes to the decision on this.

I expect that some clubs include it as an incentive to get people to buy a ST and clubs that sell a lot of ST's don't need to add this incentive and potential extra cost. Alternatively, by removing it from the ST or not having it at all, it could make a ST cheaper to buy. especially if a club is struggling to sell them or are worried that fans won't be renewing (especially if they don't get any or many home cup games a season)

Also, we used to have it at Withdean that the first home cup match was free to ST holders but i thought that it was stopped after our 1st cup game turned out to be one of the big teams in the league or FA cup, which, it could be argued, cost the club a fair bit of money as compared to if it had been a home Auto Windscreen wipers or whatever cup game. I guess they still would have to split the money from gate reciepts with the opposition so would have to take money out of their ST sales income to pay them as a portion of the St sale would have to be allocated for that match, thus reducing our own income in the process which is especially bad if your working on a tight budget or already making loses.

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
Come into the 1901 fold all games inclusive except the Reading game.

NutterDave

Jan 19, 2012
Could be even worse. you could be a Man Utd fan. They have (or at least did have) to compulsorarily buy home cup games in addition to their season ticket.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It's called supply and demand. If you are desperate to shift tickets you add value. If they are selling anyway you dont have to.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I know Arsenal add some free cup games in, not all though. But they do play in the Champions League, which count as cup games for them.

Seeing as the club may not get any cup games at home, it wouldnt work - especially if we only get 1 home cup game, which happens to be say - Man City - cant see that being free.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
One thing that obviously represents value for money with a 1901 ticket is the extended half time break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here