Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paula Radcliffe 'unfit' for her final marathon..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
World Record holder and world champion.

Brilliant career, amazing athlete (and clean of drugs for 20 years) just goes to show Britain is a country of haters that she is derided in some quarters.

Absolutely this. Bizarre target for criticism, has always tried her guts out (even before she tried marathon distance and found she was the fastest woman ever over that distance) and been very unlucky with injury and illness coinciding with major events, Olympics in particular.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Fantastic athlete for years the only Briton able to take on and beat the world I remember her cross country races total grit and determination track runs world records and then of course he marathon running sadly plagued with injuries for the later part of her carrier but that should not detract from the fact she was the best in the world for a period of time

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely this. Bizarre target for criticism, has always tried her guts out (even before she tried marathon distance and found she was the fastest woman ever over that distance) and been very unlucky with injury and illness coinciding with major events, Olympics in particular.

Current world record holder, former world champion and 7 major wins. That's an astonishing career. Sadly some idiots, OP included, criticise her due to her bad luck with injuries at the Olympics.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the OP should try and run a 5:15 mile.....and then think what it must be like to do it 26 times non-stop.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I assume her version of "unfit" is a level of fitness most of us can only dream of.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Got quite a crush on our Paula. Very strange to try and knock her after what she has achieved.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I heard a stat on the radio in the car yesterday, and if I'm recollecting it correctly it is...

Paula Radcliffe set the World Record for the women's marathon in April 2003 and that World Record still stands today.

The World Record for the men's marathon at the time is now down to number 80 on the all-time list.

That alone indicates the level of performance she was capable of - it's just a shame that she was never properly fit for the once-every-four-years Olympic marathons.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Love you Paula!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If people hate Paula's looks after running 26.1 miles and for having a few bad runs in key races, they would despise me!

Accidental pun, by the way.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I assume her version of "unfit" is a level of fitness most of us can only dream of.

That probably means that she'll trot round at an easy pace, wave for the cameras, sign a few autographs, stop for an in race interview with Claire Balding, and cross the line in around 2h40m.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Paula is a legend. I can't even fathom why she's a target for criticism?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I love her with her hair down.....might save her a jelly baby when I'm up there supporting on Sunday :love:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
An odd target for anyone's anger. An amazing athlete. Acheived staggering athletic feats.

I do have to say that despite all that it does make me chuckle that she will forever be remembered for shitting herself. Very English thing to focus on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
An odd target for anyone's anger. An amazing athlete. Acheived staggering athletic feats.

I do have to say that despite all that it does make me chuckle that she will forever be remembered for shitting herself. Very English thing to focus on.

Her really grumpy husband amuses me as well.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

If she'd done that in the Brighton marathon some Neighbourhood Watch vigilante would have drawn a circle in chalk around the offending poop and added a stern warning, also in chalk, about cleaning up after your pet. :shit:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

Maybe if you'd shut up about it then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here