Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paula Radcliffe denies cheating after she is "effectively implicated"...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought it was strange when she was against releasing blood data
She said at the time that there would be people trying to make guess from athletes data, without understanding the data, and jumping to the wrong conclusions. Seems she was right.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I would be astonished if Paula Radcliffe is a drugs cheat. It's also appalling that she's being implicated through innuendo delivered under cover of parliamentary privilege. It's interesting that the Tory know-nothing who was responsible has been back-pedalling today.
http://www.parliament.uk/business/c...ent-2015/chairs-statement-blood-doping-15-16/
The press door stepped her for a comment shortly after the commons debate, she did not know the details only what the press told her, basically she has been set up by the Press, very naive and stupid given her experience and age in reacting so personally.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think this was very brave of The Times to go after athletics like this. Their journalistic integrity was such that they never considered the impact on key sponsors and how this could affect the extensive athletics coverage on Sky Sports. Oh hang on a sec ?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think this was very brave of The Times to go after athletics like this. Their journalistic integrity was such that they never considered the impact on key sponsors and how this could affect the extensive athletics coverage on Sky Sports. Oh hang on a sec ?

Yep, they never seem to go after football for some reason...

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I would be amazed if she was involved and simply dont believe she has ever cheated, probably one of the most outspoken athletes against Drug use, even in her prime as an athlete she campaigned against it.

Well, while I'd be really disappointed if she had, the fact that she'd campaigned against drug use in athletics doesn't throw me at all. What better way to deflect any suspicion. We'll now probably never get the truth.
Unfortunately, having been called upon to explain a series of reasons why her drug tests weren't correct casts a shadow. And like others she might now sadly leave some doubt, as unfair as that maybe.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://newsthump.com/2015/04/27/pau...tion-to-all-who-have-shat-themselves-at-work/

Paula Radcliffe ‘an inspiration’ to all who have shat themselves at work

Tributes have been flooding in/plopping out for the world record-setting marathon runner Paula Radcliffe, who remains more famous for taking a dump on a public highway.

Radcliffe has been hailed as a beacon of hope for all of those who have committed a trouser-browner while in the course of their daily occupation and been forced to carry on with their day regardless.

“It’s really quite heartwarming” said Colin Werrington, an Office manager from Shrewsbury.

“I remember following through while in a crowded lift one morning. At first I was mortified, but then I remembered Paula’s steely determination to finish a 26 mile run having dropped a deuce on national television.”

“I remember thinking ‘if Paula can get through that, then I can get through this elevator ride, even if it’s running down my leg’.”

“I think the other people in the elevator were similarly inspired, as it was the talk of the office by that afternoon.”

Paula Radcliffe inspiration

It is estimated that around 1,000 Britons crap themselves at work everyday; though this figure is probably higher due to the overwhelming desire of most people to never admit to that sort of thing under any circumstances.

“Seriously, nobody can ever know,” said Sarah Kennedy, who asked not to be named.

“It’s fine for Paula, she’s an internationally respected athlete and I’m sure she doesn’t have to deal with the constant judgment of Laura in accounting.”

Paula joins former England centre-forward Gary Lineker in the “Poo-Pants Hall of Fame”.

“The name needs work” admitted Roger Simpson, Chairman of the Poo-Pants Hall of Fame.

:lolol:

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
We'll probably never know. However the scientific data looks a bit worrying to me. She may have been blood doping out of competition. It's very suspicious.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I don't want to get in racial issues, but long distance running in the modern era seems to be dominated by African runners, men and women. The London marathon is almost spot the white person in the 2nd group chasing pack. Paula Radciffe's world record is incredible when considering this, her record in the Olympics is maybe where her level should be.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
She said at the time that there would be people trying to make guess from athletes data, without understanding the data, and jumping to the wrong conclusions. Seems she was right.

Good point. This isn't any different to a lot of commercial and academic institutions who are often happy to supply data, as long as you demonstrate you're qualified to analyse it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We'll probably never know. However the scientific data looks a bit worrying to me. She may have been blood doping out of competition. It's very suspicious.

Is it though? I have not been following this closely but I read one of her tests was just "marginally outside the normal range". As someone you understands a bit about lab data this alone doesn't really set off any alarm bells with me.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I don't want to get in racial issues, but long distance running in the modern era seems to be dominated by African runners, men and women. The London marathon is almost spot the white person in the 2nd group chasing pack. Paula Radciffe's world record is incredible when considering this, her record in the Olympics is maybe where her level should be.

Tall guys make the best basketball players, but it doesn't mean any outstanding short ones are doping.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't want to get in racial issues, but long distance running in the modern era seems to be dominated by African runners, men and women. The London marathon is almost spot the white person in the 2nd group chasing pack.
Is that because their bodies are better suited to it, or because of a combination of how popular long distance running is in a few countries and how many long distance runners live at altitude, which is better preparation for a long distance athlete? I don't know if there are any good Chinese cricket players, but if there aren't I doubt it's because of their bodies, and if there is one, it doesn't mean they're doping.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
There isn't much point blood doping out of competition - usually this is the time to remove said blood for reinfusion prior to racing.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Is that because their bodies are better suited to it, or because of a combination of how popular long distance running is in a few countries and how many long distance runners live at altitude, which is better preparation for a long distance athlete? I don't know if there are any good Chinese cricket players, but if there aren't I doubt it's because of their bodies, and if there is one, it doesn't mean they're doping.
It's a combination of these as discussed by David epstein in the sports gene. The kalenjin tribe account for a huge proportion of the fastest times run over marathon and 10k. They have hundreds of people hitting Olympic qualifying each time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that because their bodies are better suited to it, or because of a combination of how popular long distance running is in a few countries and how many long distance runners live at altitude, which is better preparation for a long distance athlete?.
Or perhaps because they are allowed to develop in a system exploiting a near non existent testing policy.
A la East Germany through the 70's and 80's and China 10 years ago.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Or perhaps because they are allowed to develop in a system exploiting a near non existent testing policy.
A la East Germany through the 70's and 80's and China 10 years ago.
SB, you know that I'm usually in agreement with you here as the Kenyan anti-doping effort is, at best, a very leaky sieve (much like Jamaica but that's a whole other conversation), but it's not all doping.

There are well documented cases of extraordinary early talent pools of kids running in bare feet to school every day and people taking up running in their 20s and running 2.10 marathons a year later - the genetics are there.

Obviously it is best to dope those who are already massively talented. No amount of armtsrong-esque doping could win me a tour de france!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
SB, you know that I'm usually in agreement with you here as the Kenyan anti-doping effort is, at best, a very leaky sieve (much like Jamaica but that's a whole other conversation), but it's not all doping.

There are well documented cases of extraordinary early talent pools of kids running in bare feet to school every day and people taking up running in their 20s and running 2.10 marathons a year later - the genetics are there.

Obviously it is best to dope those who are already massively talented. No amount of armtsrong-esque doping could win me a tour de france!
Oh definitely I was going to make your final point, but I ran out of energy.
If only I had trained harder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here