Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Why not? We have found some brilliant youngsters, 2 of which we sold for £90m plus in the summer. Caicedo & Mac will be worth a lot of money in a few years as would Mwepu but for his heart condition. Others are coming through. Chelsea have a model of having a large pool of players in their academy & loaned out & new owner can see money to be made. Buy low, sell high, more money in his pocket & possibly a few top players on the cheap.

Boehly has also said he wants a multi club approach with one recruitment team working across all clubs. Idea is to sign promising players and move them through it and eventually onto Chelsea.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I think Potter may already be in trouble. I have heard that Boehly is talking about wanting to sign Cristiano Ronaldo, about wanting 'celebrity' players, and that is the absolute opposite of Potter's team ethic. If the 'owner' is serious about this there is a direct conflict already. Chelsea's truly horrendous, entitled 'fans' (apologies to the small percentage who are proper, I know some, but the majority are so plastic their Hong Kong labels show) are already getting on his back....

I still think that, unless you think that money is literally all that matters in a career move and that a sense of place, a feeling of stability and general job satisfaction count for nothing, Potter has made an awful mistake. I suspect that the board are making damn sure they have the right person lined up to continue the recruitment policy before they let Winstanley go - and that if Winstanley feels that the owner is going to interfere in his recruitment policy he may be better off staying with us.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think Potter may already be in trouble. I have heard that Boehly is talking about wanting to sign Cristiano Ronaldo, about wanting 'celebrity' players, and that is the absolute opposite of Potter's team ethic. If the 'owner' is serious about this there is a direct conflict already. Chelsea's truly horrendous, entitled 'fans' (apologies to the small percentage who are proper, I know some, but the majority are so plastic their Hong Kong labels show) are already getting on his back....

I still think that, unless you think that money is literally all that matters in a career move and that a sense of place, a feeling of stability and general job satisfaction count for nothing, Potter has made an awful mistake. I suspect that the board are making damn sure they have the right person lined up to continue the recruitment policy before they let Winstanley go - and that if Winstanley feels that the owner is going to interfere in his recruitment policy he may be better off staying with us.
Don't you think that sort of approach to recruitment would've been discusses in the negotiations for the job?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Don't you think that sort of approach to recruitment would've been discusses in the negotiations for the job?
Unlike little Tommy Tootle, Potter's a Yes Man. There's no way 'that sort of approach to recruitment' would have taken his eye off the big money contract being dangled in front of his eyes. Collaborative approach? That'll do nicely sir, where do I sign?

I actually think that Trossard to Chelsea is looking less likely by the week. If Potter is perceived to be making Chelsea worse by bringing all his Brighton Staff in, plus Cucurella who's struggled to settle, buying another player from Brighton may not go very far in dealing with the naysayers
Potter may well be gone come middle of Jan if Chelsea don't start winning again!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm not so sure it's all that clandestine is it? Given agents tout prospects with information packs and ready made videos, most of the process is assessing whether a player you're watching has attributes others have missed, not that you discover someone no one has heard of - not sure that is likely to happen in the PL. Caicedo for example, was already playing world cup qualifying games for Equador before we signed him, it's not like he wouldn't have been on others radars, it's just that they wouldn't be prepared to take the punt.

I mean Chelsea operate a satellite academy out of Lancing as they do other places. I think we'll miss Winstanley's judgement and guidance rather than any secrets.
Caicedo had already had trials at Man Utd before we signed him. They wanted him but couldn't work through the complicated ownership/rights issues that sometime come with South American players. Thankfully we had experience of that market, plus we'd dealt directly with the club Moises was at when we signed Billy Arce, meaning we could get the deal done when Utd pulled out.

The whole idea Chelsea aren't going to be interested in the same players as us is nonsense when it comes to promising youngsters signed with a view to develop for the first team or sell on after a few seasons. The pool of players both clubs will be looking at will become even more mixed especially if Chelsea are going the multi club route and pooling resources for development purposes. Most clubs will be aware and interested in signing them anyway, it's about identifying those that are available at the right price (obviously the right price for different clubs varies) and interested in a move to the UK.

If Chelsea get Paul Winstanley they've also got someone experienced in dealing with those complicated South American contract situations.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The narrative on here is that, no, it wouldn't have been discussed, that Potter's a 'yes man' and will meekly accept Ronaldo, that he's bound to fail because he's left us and therefore deserves to fail, that he only succeeded here because of things outside his control (the recruitment team, the players, the owner and, most especially, the fans), and so on.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not so sure it's all that clandestine is it? Given agents tout prospects with information packs and ready made videos, most of the process is assessing whether a player you're watching has attributes others have missed, not that you discover someone no one has heard of - not sure that is likely to happen in the PL. Caicedo for example, was already playing world cup qualifying games for Equador before we signed him, it's not like he wouldn't have been on others radars, it's just that they wouldn't be prepared to take the punt.

I mean Chelsea operate a satellite academy out of Lancing as they do other places. I think we'll miss Winstanley's judgement and guidance rather than any secrets.
Indeed.

Every PL club got a good scouting network. If anything, Chelsea probably have a better one than Brighton. It's how you use the information gathered that really makes a difference.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Caicedo had already had trials at Man Utd before we signed him. They wanted him but couldn't work through the complicated ownership/rights issues that sometime come with South American players. Thankfully we had experience of that market, plus we'd dealt directly with the club Moises was at when we signed Billy Arce, meaning we could get the deal done when Utd pulled out.

The whole idea Chelsea aren't going to be interested in the same players as us is nonsense when it comes to promising youngsters signed with a view to develop for the first team or sell on after a few seasons. Most clubs will be aware and interested in signing them, it's about identifying those that are available at the right price (obviously the right price for different clubs varies) and interested in a move to the UK.

If Chelsea get Paul Winstanley they've also got someone experienced in dealing with those complicated South American contract situations.
All good points. But is it PW or PB or someone else that negotiated those SA contract deals?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Indeed.

Every PL club got a good scouting network. If anything, Chelsea probably have a better one than Brighton. It's how you use the information gathered that really makes a difference.
Imagine being the scout and recruitment person that got Salah and De Bruyne to Chelsea only for them to be discarded as not good enough.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Imagine being the scout and recruitment person that got Salah and De Bruyne to Chelsea only for them to be discarded as not good enough.
Yeah if Piet De Visser says a player is good, you listen. Not being more patient with KDB was obviously a mistake. Salah a bit more understandable - while he was a talent over in Basel and sought by many clubs, I don't think it was easy to see a future PL top scorer in him.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have absolutely no idea of the role it plays in our recruitment but I would be amazed if the sports data analytical tools and databases at Star Lizard are not involved in some way and these are more difficult to poach.
Of course they are. Data are/is TBs weapon

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I actually think that Trossard to Chelsea is looking less likely by the week. If Potter is perceived to be making Chelsea worse by bringing all his Brighton Staff in, plus Cucurella who's struggled to settle, buying another player from Brighton may not go very far in dealing with the naysayers
Yes, they already think they have downgraded by sacking a world class manager and bringing in a manager with no top level experience from Brighton. They mostly don't think much of Cucurella either.

The narrative on here is that, no, it wouldn't have been discussed, that Potter's a 'yes man' and will meekly accept Ronaldo, that he's bound to fail because he's left us and therefore deserves to fail, that he only succeeded here because of things outside his control (the recruitment team, the players, the owner and, most especially, the fans), and so on.
Yes, it is the narrative, sadly, and it's getting pretty tiresome (and I say this as someone who wasn't initially too pleased when Hughton was sacked and GP brought in). The bloke did an excellent job here, the last six months especially - humbling United twice and that fabulous afternoon when we trashed Leicester and went to 4th. place in the PL. It just seemed that life as a Brighton fan just couldn't get any better!
Of course I was pretty narked, angry even, when he left in a hurry to go to Chelsea (Chelsea, FFS, of all the crumby clubs!) but that doesn't alter what went before. The constant revisionism that some are indulging in, like a full woke re-writing of history, is tedious to say the least.
Entitled Chelsea fans (who thought from the start he wasn't famous enough for them) might think he doesn't know what he's doing, but that's their problem. It doesn't alter the fact that he'd done a brilliant job to get Brighton and Hove Albion to where we were when he left.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patreon
Oct 20, 2022
constant revisionism that some are indulging in, like a full woke re-writing of history, is tedious to say the least.

GT49er’s post is a really rational and fair summing up IMO.

Just to say re the above quote, that I think that much of the negative Monday morning quarterbacking on Potter’s spell at Brighton is symptomatic of the hurt and deep disappointment most fans felt when he left, how he left etc. If you can devalue something that you’ve lost, the upset of loosing it is lessened - quite an emotionally intelligent thing to do probably 🙂

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

You are jumping to the obvious conclusion that Potter left for nothing other than money. I don’t agree with that. He will get more than job satisfaction if he gets it right. He wanted to manage at the highest level mate. I’ll still boo like f*** when he comes back don’t you worry

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have absolutely no idea of the role it plays in our recruitment but I would be amazed if the sports data analytical tools and databases at Star Lizard are not involved in some way and these are more difficult to poach.
I think I read somewhere about a year ago that TB has sold Starlizard on or wasn't involved any more? Or am I completely mistaken with that?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here