[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
MONEY is for sure a factor but there’s another. MYTHOS. Players now grew up with ‘the big six’ and you only have to look at Ben White instantly being England quality after moving on from being our 4th best defender and 3rd best English one. Now with new money Newcastle, we had Dan Burn for England reports in the media. Just imagine. I doubt it’s only the palarse waistcoat being in charge that means Brighton players don’t get a look in! He picks top 6 players plus those from his two old clubs villa and palarse.

Dunk is a special case as a Brighton lad but how the likes of Webster feel about the big 6 is surely a factor not only MONEY. Everyone ‘knows’ the big six is a thing and many people want to be at the top of their industry. Look at any industry and there are certain companies that people aspire to work for. (I’m happy being my own boss and earning ‘enough’ but realise I’m very odd, so do tell me if the above is incorrect).

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
But there have been reports that Bruno was told his job wasn’t guaranteed under a new manager. Bloom could have stepped in and told him then that he’d been taken care of but that clearly didn’t happen.
Quite rightly so as well. No one should be guaranteed a job anywhere. I am glad Bloom is not guaranteeing jobs to people, they should be earnt and I am sure Bruno would have earnt a place somewhere on the new coaching staff had he stayed.

Potter is history for me. Yes, I don't like him for leaving and stripping us of our entire backroom team. He doesn't give a monkeys about us now and the feelings mutual. We have De Zerbi and once he gets a transfer window or 2 he'll take us to the next level is my honest belief. Its been a poor start for him but the football we've played hasn't changed apart from goalscoring. As others have said Potter had same problems with the losing streaks and winless runs not so long ago.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But there have been reports that Bruno was told his job wasn’t guaranteed under a new manager. Bloom could have stepped in and told him then that he’d been taken care of but that clearly didn’t happen.
I haven't seen any reports of this.
I have, however, seen dozens of posts, hypothesizing that this scenario was a possibility.
Big difference.

No problem with Bruno choosing his career development over the club but pretending that it was solely due to a lack of job security, seems unlikely.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm someone who will engage if there is some sort of end game. If I can't see one, I'm inclined to move on. What would success look like, now Chelsea have pinched our staff? How would that success be achieved?

In general terms a mobilization against unacceptable ownership would be nice. But who is to decide what is unacceptable and how? Some people have stated on NSC that all foreign owners should be 'removed' and 'banned'. This is currently against the law, so a campaign to petition MPs would be required. 'Sling the foreigners out of our game'. Has a nice ring to it. Good luck with that.

OK, instead of that, what about some sort of fitness rules that allow Liverpool to keep their foreign owners but Newcastle and, er Chelsea to....no that won't work will it? Chelsea are now American owned. Like Sky TV.

Albeit some people think America is a rogue nation. Other people think that is just daft. Who decides, then?
The irony of the Americanisation of the Premier League is that Americans wouldn't let this happen in their own sports. NFL owners have a veto on buyouts of other teams, and have taken steps to ensure that no one team can dominate (eg college draft, strength of schedule, equal distribution of TV revenue), with the result that the past ten Super Bowls have been won by eight different teams. They know that nobody is going to pay to watch a foregone conclusion in the USA but don't seem to care what happens here.

Sadly, it seems to me inevitable that we will drop back into the Championship at some point in the next few years because, even if the highest estimates of TB's wealth are accurate, we will not be able to remain competitive indefinitely against clubs owned by the mega-rich or entire countries. Our only chance will be if American owners reach the magic number of 14 then abolish relegation while we're still in the PL.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I'm someone who will engage if there is some sort of end game. If I can't see one, I'm inclined to move on. What would success look like, now Chelsea have pinched our staff? How would that success be achieved?

In general terms a mobilization against unacceptable ownership would be nice. But who is to decide what is unacceptable and how? Some people have stated on NSC that all foreign owners should be 'removed' and 'banned'. This is currently against the law, so a campaign to petition MPs would be required. 'Sling the foreigners out of our game'. Has a nice ring to it. Good luck with that.

OK, instead of that, what about some sort of fitness rules that allow Liverpool to keep their foreign owners but Newcastle and, er Chelsea to....no that won't work will it? Chelsea are now American owned. Like Sky TV.

Albeit some people think America is a rogue nation. Other people think that is just daft. Who decides, then?

So it gets tricky does it not? It is all very well @attila bemoaning the state of things, and we can take it back as far as we like - Sky, the first foreign owners? What about when Littlewoods owned Everton? What about when rich mill owners forced players to stay on a maximum wage? What about when a club could sack a player and stop paying them, but refuse to let them join another club unless a fee was paid?

So, when did enough become enough? What was the straw that broke the camel's back? What was the camel? What is the consequence of the broken back? Is this a euphemism for people saying they are going to walk away from they club and boycott football?

If anyone things I'm being blasé, please tell me exactly who should be doing what and with what end to change all this stuff. I love a good plan.

Meanwhile, it is all very well rushing to occupy the high ground, but 99 out of 100 non-Brighton supporters of other much longer standing EPL clubs, and those who have started to sink down the leagues, would say 'you are only moaning now because throughout your history, till 6 months ago, your club was too shit to raid, with no assets. Clubs like ours however have been pecked at by the big boys for 100 years. Sorry you had your club ransacked in one fell swoop after 100 years of being under the radar, but that' life, mate. Get used to it.

I am not looking forward to the Chelsea game, with a risk the atmos becoming as poisonous as 'that' Palace game some years ago where lots of people completely lost their shit. And we lost.

Brighton means different things to different people. Anything from panto to religion. For me it is the connection with my past and my home town (and the panto element, with the occasional bit of glory being an added bonus). It is not an effing religion.

The weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, directed at some sort of imaginary creature called MONEY is not the same as the campaign that saved our club, and I don't like the attempt to conflate the two, and I don't like the idea of walking away from our club just because it has been raided by a rich club.

On a lighter note, I'm looking forward to the game finishing 0-0 allowing us to sing 'Are you Brighton in Disguise'.
Hi mate. My thoughts are just my thoughts: I'm not advocating a 'walk away' campaign in the slightest, that would be ridiculous. I'm incredibly proud of what we have achieved and the legacy it hands on to people a quarter our age who have a completely different concept of what it means to be an Albion fan and would rightly call such an idea completely batshit. I'm just saying how I feel, personally. And I could never walk away, have no fear: though from now on I'll not feel as bad as I did when a good gig means I miss a home game, or wrong timing of the fixture list means it's not suitable for linked in gigs and I miss an away one, because I know the score. Barring wonderful miracles (which I will cheer to the rafters, and move gigs for if need be) that score is finishing 8-17 in the table until I pop my clogs. Rinse and repeat. Still the Albion, so still wonderful, but predetermined and predictable, which is the opposite of the meaning of sport. My regular non league visits and a bit of St Pauli can fill that gap.It's just a matter of comimg to terms with it.

You know my politics: this is the second time when my loathing of the contemptible, yet 'legal' way this economic system operates has dovetailed with its impact on the club I love. Of course there is absolutely no comparison with the first in the mid 90s, and I'm not making one, except in pointing out how much this episode has affected me. As for a solution - well, the most capitalist country in the world has worked out a way to stop such a procession happening in American football, so it's possible. And for me, like media bias and obscene wealth imbalance, it's a matter for legislation: something which both myself and my councillor wife will be campaigning for for the rest of our lives. But that's another story. UTA and let's do our best to stuff the plastic vultures on Saturday - and, most certainly, tell them what we think of them.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I want Uncle Tony to stay til his dying day but has anyone mused that it may have been less work for Boehly if he’d just bought the Albion? 🤔

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Shields has been on gardening leave from Southampton.

This isn’t going to affect them going after Winstanley as Shields was mentioned as joining them in most reports about them being after PW.

He’s mentioned in the above article for example

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A good head of a department will be just that, head of a department. The quality of that individual will already be all over that team and the processes.

Sure, it's annoying to lose them but all his hard work will already be implemented in the club. It's not like a new person will come in, rip up the department and the way we scout and say "right, forget that, delete those player databases".

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an internal promotion to that role when he goes.

It should be pretty seamless.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Chelsea are ravaging the south coast of England in a way nothing has done since the Great Storm of 1987

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
A good head of a department will be just that, head of a department. The quality of that individual will already be all over that team and the processes.

Sure, it's annoying to lose them but all his hard work will already be implemented in the club. It's not like a new person will come in, rip up the department and the way we scout and say "right, forget that, delete those player databases".

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an internal promotion to that role when he goes.

It should be pretty seamless.
We appointed Salvatore Monaco as assistant head of recruitment a few weeks ago, he replaces Kyle Macaulay. He worked with RDZ at Shakhtar Donetsk so you’ve got to think he’d be most likely to step up even though he’s only been here a fortnight.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Chelsea are ravaging the south coast of England in a way nothing has done since the Great Storm of 1987
I'm less upset than you about this rumour (and referring to it as a rumour doesn't mean that I'm saying it's not going to happen) but, on the ravaging:
-- in recent years, how many players have gone from Albion (you could substitute the word 'Southampton') to Chelsea?
-- in recent years which players have gone from Chelsea to B&HA (or, indeed, Southampton)?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The irony of the Americanisation of the Premier League is that Americans wouldn't let this happen in their own sports. NFL owners have a veto on buyouts of other teams, and have taken steps to ensure that no one team can dominate (eg college draft, strength of schedule, equal distribution of TV revenue), with the result that the past ten Super Bowls have been won by eight different teams. They know that nobody is going to pay to watch a foregone conclusion in the USA but don't seem to care what happens here.

Sadly, it seems to me inevitable that we will drop back into the Championship at some point in the next few years because, even if the highest estimates of TB's wealth are accurate, we will not be able to remain competitive indefinitely against clubs owned by the mega-rich or entire countries. Our only chance will be if American owners reach the magic number of 14 then abolish relegation while we're still in the PL.
It depends on the implementation of the new Financial Fair Play system and how much the Premier League embraces them.

Under the new regulations set by UEFA, European clubs will be limited to spending 70% percent of their revenue on wages, transfers and agents' fees by 25/26. You would think that the American owners would be in favour of this as it should make the playing field at the top of the table more even if it means Chelsea will be allowed to spend significantly less than they have this calendar year. The punishment mooted is relegation from said European competition which no owner will want.

Under these rules, despite making a considerable loss in 20/21 our allowed budget would sit at around £105m and minus approximate wages (very difficult to see the playing vs non-playing staff in the accounts) our transfer kitty would sit at somewhere between £35m (a very vague guess). You can understand why the mega-rich who see clubs as playthings wouldn't want this.

The reality is that the Premier League may not fancy taking part in such restrictions and UEFA may struggle to uphold punishments in the face of legal action from mega-rich oil states but for me this is the only "chance" for competitiveness in the league.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports