Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Must have pressed the wrong button when they paid £63 million for Cuca, unless Potter put the data in for that one.
If you look into Star Lizard, you might find something else out about Tony Bloom and Brighton and Hove Albion. I've no doubt Chelsea have some data; I doubt it's as good as Tony Blooms.
Star lizard is considered to be one of the worlds leading stats/ data gathering enterprises . That’s a big reason why we can compete despite having a bottom 3rd budget . All clubs use a variation of this but I doubt it is the quality & sophistication of the system that TB has built . Our best people will continue to be picked off but at a massive premium & they will be effectively replaced . It’s annoying but it is a good money earner for the club .

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Never liked Chelsea, always had dubious owners, gobby fans, shitty cramped stadium, really hate them now..
I've always been and remain utterly indifferent to Chelsea, totally vanilla club, nothing interesting about them, summed up by dull 'personalities' like Lampard or Le Saux, or unsavoury figures like John Terry and Dennis Wise. And now they have a dull personality as manager.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Have got no time now for Potter. He must have been asked his opinion on Winstanley. So easy to have said enough is enough.
So you would join a new job, be asked by your new boss what you thought of a former colleague, and your response to your employer would be "please leave them alone, they've been through enough already!"

Right.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Oh absolutely. I just wondered what sort of contract they are on. What is a normal notice period for a role like that? 6months. No idea what salary they are on but they must REALLY want him and only him to pay a million quid.
Or maybe it's just cheaper to buy a known quantity (to Potter) than to have X people researching other good options for months?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
What's slightly confusing to me is I don't see why Chelsea even need to buy our recruitment team ?

Chelsea already have all the best youngsters (this has been the case for years!) They had de bruyne and Salah early remember!! And now they are loaning us one of the most promising young English CBs around.

Chelsea just need to nurture and utilise these youngsters better, surely

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The thing about all of this Potter recruiting everyone is we weren’t that good until the last round of games last season and the first four or five of this season under Potter. He’s been hired on the back of what 14 games until then we were a struggling PL side. A few Chelsea fans I know are bemused as to why they are turning into Brighton and Hove Albion. If they come back for our players they will go off their heads.

Maybe they think they will be world beaters with more money to spend on players although Potter seems to be struggling with the big egos, he’s not playing his strongest 11 preferring to try and mould youth as that’s what he’s used to doing.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The thing about all of this Potter recruiting everyone is we weren’t that good until the last round of games last season and the first four or five of this season under Potter. He’s been hired on the back of what 14 games until then we were a struggling PL side. A few Chelsea fans I know are bemused as to why they are turning into Brighton and Hove Albion. If they come back for our players they will go off their heads.

Maybe they think they will be world beaters with more money to spend on players although Potter seems to be struggling with the big egos, he’s not playing his strongest 11 preferring to try and mould youth as that’s what he’s used to doing.
I have heard they have started selling Chelsea Rock in the club shop and will run out too Sussex-By-The- Thames

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What's slightly confusing to me is I don't see why Chelsea even need to buy our recruitment team ?

Chelsea already have all the best youngsters (this has been the case for years!) They had de bruyne and Salah early remember!! And now they are loaning us one of the most promising young English CBs around.

I can only think it's because Boehly doesn't understand the difference between Chelsea and a #TeamLikeBrighton. I can't understand why he's paying Sterling ridiculous wages and overpaid so much for Cucurella if he wants to cut costs and make them more sustainable. Equally the likes of Potter and Winstanley have no real experience with egos and galacticos. As I said earlier here, or on one of the other threads, it's a copy and paste job but like copying from PowerPoint and pasting into Excel.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If Potter buys our entire first 11 and all our staff he will not improve Chelsea - which will be his target as 7th won't be good enough for Chelsea.

I don't know why he is following this flawed strategy and not aiming higher. :shrug:

Oh well, it's his job.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Yes, good points. Perhaps Chelsea are just looking to be top half.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

As they've alluded to, I imagine the Chelsea owners will be buying some clubs around Europe to help nuture their young players.

I think all the 'superclubs' have trouble bringing through talent as expectation is so high.

One small advantage we have...

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
As they've alluded to, I imagine the Chelsea owners will be buying some clubs around Europe to help nuture their young players.

I think all the 'superclubs' have trouble bringing through talent as expectation is so high.

One small advantage we have...
But again Chelsea were the first to do this in England weren't they ? I'm sure they have a club in Holland , no ?

Wiki tells me vitesse , PSV and LA galaxy are Chelsea's feeder clubs !!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
But again Chelsea were the first to do this in England weren't they ? I'm sure they have a club in Holland , no ?

Wiki tells me vitesse , PSV and LA galaxy are Chelsea's feeder clubs !!
They don't have the same owners. Boehly supposedly looking at buying a Portugese club, last I read.

But, yes, Chelsea have been loaning out players for years, but with mixed success, I'd say.

Trusting young players in the first team appears to be the problem.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Promoted - to the role I expected him to go into when he joined.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here