Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
He's hardly setting the world alight at feyernoord. He's a bench player in a league that's probably weaker than the championship. By our high standards and for the amount we paid for him I'm sticking with rubbish :p
The Chelsea goal was awful wasn’t it? :whistle:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Another rat to add to the collection - but thanks as it helped the atmosphere when we destroyed the former ‘champions of yourope’ partly as a result. I don’t buy this ‘double your salary you’d move’ etc thing. A) it’s guesswork and unsubstantiated re the wages and B) not everyone would relocate for a pay rise and some are loyal to their company…

Ps f*** off Chelsea. I’d literally double the price of any players they’re interested in - would almost rather sell to the Saudis. In fact f*** them both - double any players prices to them 👍

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Albion made Paul Winstanley what he is, not the other way round. He was an analyst under Paul Jewell at Wigan and Derby and was head-hunted by Albion and put into recruitment. He wasn't some genius recruitment guru with revolutionary player identification algorithms that we targeted. He ended up as the main administrator of our system, bringing together information provided by the data people and the scouts, who are mostly still in place. Of course, he'll know our scouts in various territories, so TB is no doubt preparing to put a huge price on their heads in the form of release clauses even as I type this. No, what am I thinking? He will no doubt already have done it.

I've every confidence that TB will have someone earmarked to take over Winstanley's role. If you read today's Sky Sports interview with Ally Mac, he mentions that the Albion representatives he spoke to talked about the statistical categories where he'd impressed us, not what they'd seen in any performance they'd watched. In other words, the most important thing will be the Albion's (ie TB's) data and processes, and they are being refined all the time, so even if Winstanley takes the names of a lot of players that we have looked at with him to Chelsea and even some scouts, that knowledge will be out of date before long.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I was as pissed off as anyone about Chelsea picking off half our key staff.

That said there are a few on here who's accusations about Potter's 'emotional immaturity' seems somewhat...ironic.

(Of course for some of the spotty oiks making evident their views on Potter and Bruno at the arsenal game, emotional immaturity is just an objective fact - I suppose they get a free pass by dint of being young blokes and therefore, by the laws of nature, knobheads)
Haha, football fans being mature and unemotional? What planet are you from?

The pushed narrative of emotional intelligence followed by falling well short of that is an issue certainly. Absolutely no argument that Potter has behaved like a complete prick all through this and continues to do so. You'd have to be deaf and blind not to understand that.

Yes, football fans behave the same. Expected, no? (As DeZerbi might say)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Albion made Paul Winstanley what he is, not the other way round. He was an analyst under Paul Jewell at Wigan and Derby and was head-hunted by Albion and put into recruitment. He wasn't some genius recruitment guru with revolutionary player identification algorithms that we targeted. He ended up as the main administrator of our system, bringing together information provided by the data people and the scouts, who are mostly still in place. Of course, he'll know our scouts in various territories, so TB is no doubt preparing to put a huge price on their heads in the form of release clauses even as I type this. No, what am I thinking? He will no doubt already have done it.

I've every confidence that TB will have someone earmarked to take over Winstanley's role. If you read today's Sky Sports interview with Ally Mac, he mentions that the Albion representatives he spoke to talked about the statistical categories where he'd impressed us, not what they'd seen in any performance they'd watched. In other words, the most important thing will be the Albion's (ie TB's) data and processes, and they are being refined all the time, so even if Winstanley takes the names of a lot of players that we have looked at with him to Chelsea and even some scouts, that knowledge will be out of date before long.
It does seem that this raid on Brighton for it's key staff is being used as an opportunity, more than seen as a problem by the club. My biggest concern now is that it is starting to look like Potter is a good warm up act for De Zerbi, I can see them making an approach for him in a few months time. My hope is De Zerbi has earned Albion a top 4 berth, with Chelsea outside the top 6, so he can say no because he wants to compete in the CL.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interestingly the club hired an assistant director of football from outside the club. Winstanley overlooked again ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Chelsea goal was awful wasn’t it? :whistle:
You are prepared to forgive Ali J his 'career' at Brighton just because of that goal , and yet you decry Tony Blair every day with you user pic?

You're Iranian, aren't you? :ROFLMAO:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It does seem that this raid on Brighton for it's key staff is being used as an opportunity, more than seen as a problem by the club. My biggest concern now is that it is starting to look like Potter is a good warm up act for De Zerbi, I can see them making an approach for him in a few months time. My hope is De Zerbi has earned Albion a top 4 berth, with Chelsea outside the top 6, so he can say no because he wants to compete in the CL.
Posted before the abject capitulation against cheating Villa . . . . .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interestingly the club hired an assistant director of football from outside the club. Winstanley overlooked again ?
In most clubs, these are very different roles. A director of football/technical director usually have some sort of business education and participate in negotiations, fees, contract clauses and what not - dull financial stuff. A head of recruitment on the other hand manages the scouting network, identifies targets etc.

The path from head of recruitment to DoF/TD really isn't a clear one. Now I don't know what education Winstanley has but you don't become a TD/DOF in the PL without studying sports management or economy first.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In most clubs, these are very different roles. A director of football/technical director usually have some sort of business education and participate in negotiations, fees, contract clauses and what not - dull financial stuff. A head of recruitment on the other hand manages the scouting network, identifies targets etc.

The path from head of recruitment to DoF/TD really isn't a clear one. Now I don't know what education Winstanley has but you don't become a TD/DOF in the PL without studying sports management or economy first.
Interesting - just the press around Winstanley was that it was more of a DoF role at Chelsea on offer than head of recruitment.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting - just the press around Winstanley was that it was more of a DoF role at Chelsea on offer than head of recruitment.
They are pretty much signing an entire "committee" of recruitment people so I imagine someone else will be dealing with the financial side.

Seems on his Linkedin profile that he is actually currently studying something useful for that role, so perhaps his ambition going forward will be to get a DoF-like role. With Weir being fairly newly appointed, perhaps he doesn't see that job becoming available in Brighton for quite a while.

Will be interesting (well, moderately interesting... to be frank) to see what his official role will be in Chelsea.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
If things go that badly for Potter that he's not in post at the end of this season, I think it's highly unlikely they'll go for another punt on an unproven manager (at top 4/CL level) with even less Premier League experience.

If RDZ is poached from us at any point in the next 2 years, it will be because he has done something phenomenal with us, in which case enjoy the ride and then wait for Bloom and Barber to pull another unknown genius out the hat.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
You are prepared to forgive Ali J his 'career' at Brighton just because of that goal , and yet you decry Tony Blair every day with you user pic?

You're Iranian, aren't you? :ROFLMAO:
Nothing to forgive tbh! Just didn’t work out for him. Let’s face it, he’s not the worst player to don the blue & white is he?

As for our Persian friends, the ones I’ve met have all been rather nice if I’m honest.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nothing to forgive tbh! Just didn’t work out for him. Let’s face it, he’s not the worst player to don the blue & white is he?

As for our Persian friends, the ones I’ve met have all been rather nice if I’m honest.
I salute your indefatigability :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here