Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Winstanley joins Chelsea as Director of Global Talent and Transfers

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Potter ended up being a non-sentimental snide. Ironic given his masters degree, a cold tw@t.

A pyrrhic victory in my mind, but so glad that I thought he was dick in challenging a handful of booers through the media.

Forget about gagging clauses and confidentiality, Ashworth and Winstanley will know the full lowdown on all our scouting.

True, but both their respective clubs are fishing in a much bigger pond than us. We look for value at 10 - 15 million, they will be looking for the young superstars at 45 - 60 million.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s a promotion for Winstanley - director of football type role.

So why didn’t the club appoint Winstanley as our DoF rather than David Weir ? No one can begrudge someone getting a promotion surely? Especially if turned down for one here

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Understand that PW won’t be seen as a huge loss to the club and he wasn’t held in that high regard anyway and disliked by quite a few.

I trust they will already have a successor in mind. (Going on Barbers comments following losing GP)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

So why didn’t the club appoint Winstanley as our DoF rather than David Weir ? No one can begrudge someone getting a promotion surely? Especially if turned down for one here

It's a "we'll see about that" for me Clive.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Understand that PW won’t be seen as a huge loss to the club and he wasn’t held in that high regard anyway and disliked by quite a few.

I trust they will already have a successor in mind. (Going on Barbers comments following losing GP)
Exactly what I heard. Surprised he survived an incident a few years back around the same time another PW left the club ..

It's just a joke. I get that Bloom is not currently in a position to really hold people back in these circumstances, but this must surely hack him off behind the scenes. I cannot imagine a more fitting way for Roberto to open his account with a victory over those West London leeches on saturday. Anyone who still harbours notions of politely welcoming back the asset strippers to the club should surely be dispelling those thoughts right now.
Hope we beat them Saturday of course but also expect our supporters to be as hostile as possible

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
True, but both their respective clubs are fishing in a much bigger pond than us. We look for value at 10 - 15 million, they will be looking for the young superstars at 45 - 60 million.
I’ve followed some Top7 fora where we’re admired. A regular theme is about buying the Caicedo’s when they’re £5m, not £60m. Even they have to stop spending somewhere.

We’ll never be able to quantify the damage of Ashworth, MacAuley and Winstanley walking away with a complete inside knowledge of our recruitment networks, of course we won’t know which players now won’t join or be interested in us. But there must be significant damage over time.

I can’t recall a football club be systemically asset stripped in the past (other than thefts of real estate).

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

The guardian have it slightly different:

Either way I don't think people are angry at Winstanley if he leaves, more at Chelsea coming in and taking our whole set up. It's a pretty lazy, classless thing to do to just go and throw money around and ransack wholesale a smaller club. Each individuals motivation is understandable, Chelsea's actions reprehensible.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Potter ended up being a non-sentimental snide. Ironic given his masters degree, a cold tw@t.

A pyrrhic victory in my mind, but so glad that I thought he was dick in challenging a handful of booers through the media.
Must be honest, I’m delighted I was never fully on the Potter train now.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
The only surprise to me is that it has taken until this season. Saudis first, Yanks second. It was always going to be like this. Just waiting for the inevitable Brentford pillage to come too. It is business. Identify talent, pay for it. We do the same but from a lower reputation pool.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Must be honest, I’m delighted I was never fully on the Potter train now.
The best Albion football I’ve seen finally arrived at the Emirates on 9 April 2022 and lasted (with a huge summer break) on 4 Sept 2022 with the 5-2.

Before that 2.5 years of very rarely winning at home, but an often fine passing game. Anyone criticising was jumped on as a lesser fan.

@Guinness Boy, he won’t want this accolade, looks ever more sensible in refusing to worship at the alter of Potter for that very long period.

There was and is a cold hard ‘it’s business’ in Potter’s Brummie personality.

And no, it doesn’t have to be that way. Some great managers have and had a personal touch, an amazing rapport with fanbases. It’s not one of Potter’s gifts.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I’ve followed some Top7 fora where we’re admired. A regular theme is about buying the Caicedo’s when they’re £5m, not £60m. Even they have to stop spending somewhere.

We’ll never be able to quantify the damage of Ashworth, MacAuley and Winstanley walking away with a complete inside knowledge of our recruitment networks, of course we won’t know which players now won’t join or be interested in us. But there must be significant damage over time.

I can’t recall a football club be systemically asset stripped in the past (other than thefts of real estate).
Disagree with that as I doubt Caicedo would join CFC direct as he would probably not get the chance, join us we will develop you and if you're good enough you can move on providing at the right price.

Personally I think CFC realised they lost the plot paying £97m for a useless forward and £60m for an unproven at a top team defender

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Disagree with that as I doubt Caicedo would join CFC direct as he would probably not get the chance, join us we will develop you and if you're good enough you can move on providing at the right price.

Personally I think CFC realised they lost the plot paying £97m for a useless forward and £60m for an unproven at a top team defender
Equally ££££ Manure were within a whisker of completing Caicedo’s contract, but backed off at the last moment, spooked by his multiple ‘owners’. In stepped TB/PB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here