Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Whelch

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I know him well from Seagulls over London. Will certainly be praying for his recovery. Very sad to hear. He was on top form at the last SoL meeting in November.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
been through some of this myself
best wishes Paul

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Paul was invaluable to us in helping with Build a Bonfire and We Want Falmer. He did so much to help the save the club during the dark days but one of the most important was his role in helping to uncover the infamous removal by Archer of the clause stopping anyone profiting from the sale of the ground from the club's Articles of Association. He and Paul Samrah along with then Argus journalist Paul Bracchi were hugely instrumental in 1995/96 in showing that Archer's interests in the club were clearly very dubious. Really wish him a full recovery.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Get well soon Paul

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One of the three Pauls who uncovered Archer's 'Articles of Association' conspiracy.

He was on the Roar five and half years ago, on the day of the opening of the stadium, to talk about those dark days. A true Albion hero.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
One of Paul's friends on Facebook, Erica (don't know his exact relationship - possibly family?) has been posting updates...

1 January
Paul became ill in early December. It started as flu, but quickly escalated. Because Paul is not the sort to make a fuss, or look after himself, it wasn't for a while that he let me see that his leg was swollen, and had become infected. I took him to the out of hours GP who gave him antibiotics. However, the infection became necrotic, which led to septicemia, which led to a chest infection. On Christmas Day I was working, and came home to find that he was finding it difficult to breathe. He was admitted to the High Dependency Unit on Boxing Day. He had undiagnosed type one diabetes, which they have now got under control, and they operated on his foot to take away the source of infection. But his breathing hasn't improved, and last night he was transferred to Intensive Care. The consultant said to me that they wanted to sedate him and hoover out the gunk from his lungs. Also, the infection on his foot has got into the bone. They might remove the bone, and there is a chance that the infection could spread anywhere in his body, including his heart or brain. I phoned the hospital this morning. He's under sedation, and they're doing his breathing for him.

If you are the praying type, please pray for him.

Thanks.

3 January
Paul had an operation to remove his little toe this morning. Hopefully this will have removed the source of the infection. He should be woken up tomorrow and the breathing tube taken out. I will see him, and tell him how many people have wished him well.

4 January
Paul's operation went OK, however they couldn't wake him up today. They did a CT scan of his head in case there's anything going on there to cause him not to wake. I'm still hoping to be able to talk to him tomorrow and pass on all your love.

5 January
I've just got back from the hospital. Although Paul is still sedated, his CT scan was clear. He was looking loads better tonight, and has been squeezing hands on request. When I put my nearly frozen hand on his, his eyes sprang open. They hope to un-sedate him and take his breathing tube out tomorrow. I was told that on top of everything else they'd been treating him for flu. I'm feeling a lot more hopeful tonight, and looking forward to the possibility of speaking with him some time over the weekend, maybe even tomorrow. Thanks everybody for all your support.

6 January
Paul continues to improve, though very slowly. He still hasn't been taken off the ventilator - the problem now is that his lungs haven't cleared sufficiently. His sedation is low enough that he opens his eyes (though it's clear that he's not focusing on my face) and occasionally tries to remove things that are there to make him better! They were topping up his blood as I left, but told me this is normal: his body is too busy being ill to be bothered with little things like making blood cells. His kidney function isn't great, so they might give him a bit of dialysis to give them a rest. Once again, I'm hoping to find him awake tomorrow. The nurse asked me to bring in razors as he now has nearly a month of beard and looks weird.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Thanks for the updates. Hope he pulls though. Still thinking of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm so pleased to hear this - come on Paul, we're all rooting for you mate. Don't worry it's only the MK in the cup tomorrow so you're not missing much but you get better in time for the Geordie invasion you hear!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Good to hear that he seems to be on the slow road to recovery. Get well soon, Paul - hope you'll be fully fit and hearty to witness our glorious promotion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Come on Paul. You can do it.

Does Erica know about this thread and there's a huge number of Albion types rooting for him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here