Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul scholes..... If only.

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
I was thinking last night watching pirlo play made me think of Paul scholes
He would have been perfect for us in thus kind of game/tournament, if only he had not internationally retired I feel in my opinion he would have made a great deal of difference. Shame........

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
agree with you,we lack a Scholes type player so much in midfield.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do you blame him? Playing him on the left in the past with the crap we had in central midfield. What an insult.

Yes, yes I do.

He should be bursting with pride to play for his country, not sulking like a spoilt child, because he didn't always get to play in his favourite position.

Great player, but ultimately it's a team sport.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes, yes I do.

He should be bursting with pride to play for his country, not sulking like a spoilt child, because he didn't always get to play in his favourite position.

Great player, but ultimately it's a team sport.

True, but that raises a further point.

It's indicative of England's inability to recongise which player needs to be playing where.

Ask some of the Spanish players now who their hero growing up was, some - especially the midfielders - cite Paul Scholes. He may be fairly highly considered here, but he's got much higher status elsewhere. That should say something about our attitude to football and tactics.

Not exactly sure what, though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I feel much the same about Carrick, I hope he was sitting on his sofa last night feeling embarrassed when Jordan Henderson was bought on. He should have been out there and could have made the position his with some strong pre-tournament games.

If it's true that he simply refused to go on the standby list then yes, absolutely. I think there MIGHT be more to it though - some kind of home issue.

True, but that raises a further point.

It's indicative of England's inability to recongise which player needs to be playing where.

Ask some of the Spanish players now who their hero growing up was, some - especially the midfielders - cite Paul Scholes. He may be fairly highly considered here, but he's got much higher status elsewhere. That should say something about our attitude to football and tactics.

Not exactly sure what, though.

Absolutely that is completely true, and the team ought to have been built around Scholes. But it wasn't. So he took his ball home.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Scholes had plenty of opportunity to play centre midfield and pull on the strings. We were shit when he did it then, and we would have been shit with him doing it now,

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Anyone who turns their back on playing for their country, when it should be the highest honour a footballer should aspire to, can piss off! Just my opinion!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
How many games would he have played though ? He wouldn't get away with the tackles he makes for Utd at international level, too much of a risk to take because if he gets a straight red and misses 2-3 games, that's most of a tournament.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Scholes was played out of position and then got lambasted by the press for some poor performances and decided it wasn't worth his time (with a newborn kid) to play football all year round when he could be spending time with his young family. Fair enough.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Scholes was played out of position and then got lambasted by the press for some poor performances and decided it wasn't worth his time (with a newborn kid) to play football all year round when he could be spending time with his young family. Fair enough.

Also made a lot easier when he was winning things left right and centre with Man Utd.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Much as I recognise Scholes as a quality player, I don't think he'd have made a huge difference with some of the other crap we have in the team - none of them can pass the ball very well.

And anyway, I still have nightmares of that Brazil 2002 game where he was totally ineffective with the ball at his feet, even with the Brazilians a man down.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
pTgXb.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If he was genuinely the world class player that we are led to believe, do you think he might just have been able to still influence a game, out wide, or on the left hand side of a midfield three?

It not like he was asked to play f***ing centre back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here