Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Scholes - England

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Paul Scholes has suggested he feels regret at rejecting the chance to return to the England international scene, admitting that one of the reasons he turned down the offer to turn out at World Cup 2010 was Franco Baldini spoke to him, not Fabio Capello.

The Manchester United midfielder suggests that the proposal maybe should have come from the manager himself and not his assistant, and that he believes, had he been given more time to think the offer over he may well have travelled to South Africa.

"It was difficult. He [Baldini] rang me the day before [the squad announcement]," he said. "I probably just needed a bit more time.

"I thought after a week, a couple of weeks, that maybe I should have gone. I am not saying I would have made a difference. I don't look back and think it didn't go well for England because I didn't go. I am just saying it was a chance to play in the World Cup and I turned it down.

"It wasn't until you start seeing all the build up to the tournament and I thought maybe I made the wrong decision. It wasn't the manager who rang me but Baldini. It was flattering."

On the subject of Capello not inviting him personally, the 35-year-old added: "I don't know. Maybe it might have meant more [if he did invite me personally]. I thought it wasn't much time. That's why I probably said no, not just because he had given me a couple of hours to think about it but the fact I needed a bit more time to think about it.

"I am not saying it definitely would have been different but I think it might have been. I did not expect it. It wasn't even on my mind. I got a phone call the day before asking me if I fancied it and saying I had a couple of hours to decide. I don't know him [Baldini].

"I am saying I might have made the wrong decision but I am not saying I would have made a difference.

"With regards to Wayne [Rooney], I play with him every week I know what he wants and the rest of the players know what he wants. I am not saying the England players don't know what he wants because he has been successful with them for the last four to six years. For some reason it did not work out for the team."

Not to sure what to do with this one.
On the one hand just a couple of hours notice, if it was out of the blue, isn't much, he would have had hi summer planned out, and has never liked long tournament way from home.
But christ on a bike, to moan about the fact it wasn't Fabio that called is so completely premiership football twatty

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Completely fair points made. It would be natural courtesy for the actual manager to ring you to discuss it, I would have thought, as a sign of intent, if nothing else. And two hours, is not much time to go back on a decision you made 5 years ago.

I don't like United, but Scholes has been one of the best players in the prem over he last 10 years, but even he wouldn't have put any gloss on the turd that was the England WC.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Scholes has always irritated me by turning his back on England with the old "spend more time with the family" line - he's a FOOTBALLER, he has a 3 hour "working day" and a match or two per week ffs.

Being asked a matter of hours before the squad is due to be announced, with presumably not a dickybird being said beforehand, is a bit of a shambles. That said, you've got to be an arse of some sort to STILL not want to go to the World Cup.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But christ on a bike, to moan about the fact it wasn't Fabio that called is so completely premiership football twatty

i dont read it like that. he could have been thinking it wasnt a serious offer but the assistant was just sounding him out on the issue.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sorry, absolutely NO time for the likes of Paul Scholes at all, or an England player who has the temerity to RETIRE from international football.

How dare they!, its a great honour and privelege to be chosen to play for your country, and not something to be tossed aside when the player feels like it.

Once Scholes, (or Jamie Carragher for that matter), had 'retired', Cappello should never have gone crawling back to them.

therunningbomb

therunningbomb
Feb 23, 2009
Hove
the guy is an idiot, and to be quite honest, he is now a piss poor footballer.
He can't tackle to save his life, constantly getting booked, he constantly passes to the other team. Also, i saw Man Utd twice last season, and he was by far the worst player on the pitch both times. He would of got destroyed in South Africa. I bet the other top 3 couldnt beleive thier luck when he signed a one year contract extention....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
the guy is an idiot, and to be quite honest, he is now a piss poor footballer.
He can't tackle to save his life, constantly getting booked, he constantly passes to the other team. Also, i saw Man Utd twice last season, and he was by far the worst player on the pitch both times. He would of got destroyed in South Africa. I bet the other top 3 couldnt beleive thier luck when he signed a one year contract extention....

Clueless.....are you Fabio Capello ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And so the media campaign against Capello goes on...

Paul Scholes
On the subject of Capello not inviting him personally, the 35-year-old added: "I don't know. Maybe it might have meant more [if he did invite me personally]. I thought it wasn't much time. That's why I probably said no, not just because he had given me a couple of hours to think about it but the fact I needed a bit more time to think about it.

It might have meant more, but the reason he said no was because he wasn't given enough time. The fact Capello didn't ask him wasn't what made him say no, and even if it was Capello, he wanted more time.

But that isn't really enough to criticise Capello, is it? Not giving Scholes enough time, since, as another poster has highlighted, most fans want to pbelieve playing for your country is an honour and when your country calls you should answer eagerly not "give me a few days", so they decide to over emphasise the bit about Capello not inviting him personally.

Tie in with the ridiculous complaints about him not personally going to watch the under 19 squad, it's just clearly the media doing their best to drive out another top quality manager who has been unable to turn a sows ear into a silk purse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1296329/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Is-Fabio-Capello-really-new-Wally-Brolly.html

Oh, and I hate paul scholes.
therunningbomb
He can't tackle to save his life,
Ask most people that know him, most people within the game, they will tell you he can tackle, he just chooses not to. Those "typical scholes" challenges are him deliberately fouling people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here