Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Reid - update

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Paul Reid's new club Adelaide Utd has just qualified for the final of the Asian Champions' League. They beat the champions of Uzbekistan in 3-1 on agg in the semis and will play Gamba Osaka of Japan in the final. Reid has also played every game in the A-League so far this season (in central midfield) as is a big reason why Adelaide is joint top of the table.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Paul Reid's new club Adelaide Utd has just qualified for the final of the Asian Champions' League. They beat the champions of Uzbekistan in 3-1 on agg in the semis and will play Gamba Osaka of Japan in the final. Reid has also played every game in the A-League so far this season (in central midfield) as is a big reason why Adelaide is joint top of the table.

Yeah, he'd look good at Lewes too. If/when not injured.

Stumpy Tim

The Albion could never have matched what Reidy's earning in Frequent Flyer Miles

But we would have paid his petrol of course.

Paul's a top bloke. Came down to meet the Sydney supporters club when he was over in Oz off-season a couple of years ago. Gave as an honest appraisal of the Albion squad & his dislike of Bryan Robson.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
The fact that Paul Reid stands out so much for Adelaide is not so much a testament to the fact he is a brilliant player, but more to the point that the A-League is Conference level at best. Even Steve Corica stands out as a top player and he couldn't make Forest reserves 5 years ago!

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
The fact that Paul Reid stands out so much for Adelaide is not so much a testament to the fact he is a brilliant player, but more to the point that the A-League is Conference level at best. Even Steve Corica stands out as a top player and he couldn't make Forest reserves 5 years ago!

If it's so bad then how have they made the final of the Champions' League. The A-League (and before that the National Soccer League) may not have the depth of other leagues, but there are plenty of players to come out of it who have gone on to play in some of the top leagues in Europe.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
If it's so bad then how have they made the final of the Champions' League. The A-League (and before that the National Soccer League) may not have the depth of other leagues, but there are plenty of players to come out of it who have gone on to play in some of the top leagues in Europe.

Oh come on mate, who did they beat to get there? I'm not having a pop at the A-League I'm just calling a spade a spade. I'm glad the A-League exists as it gives something else to watch rather than just bloody rugby, but lets be realistic about it. Even the Aussie coach compared the best of the A-League to the German reserve league!

Yeah, Players have come OUT of the league to better things (sort of), but they could hardly have dropped lower could they?

I watch quite a lot of it and I have watched loads of Albion over the years and believe me, its like comparing Real Madrid with Macclesfield!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Oh come on mate, who did they beat to get there? I'm not having a pop at the A-League I'm just calling a spade a spade. I'm glad the A-League exists as it gives something else to watch rather than just bloody rugby, but lets be realistic about it. Even the Aussie coach compared the best of the A-League to the German reserve league!

Yeah, Players have come OUT of the league to better things (sort of), but they could hardly have dropped lower could they?

I watch quite a lot of it and I have watched loads of Albion over the years and believe me, its like comparing Real Madrid with Macclesfield!

Melbourne Victory would give the Albion a run for their money without a doubt.

There's some talented players from central and south america going around in the league and they are better than what we have running around in our midfield at present.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Melbourne Victory would give the Albion a run for their money without a doubt.

There's some talented players from central and south america going around in the league and they are better than what we have running around in our midfield at present.

On that my friend we will disagree, but it would be a great game to watch, especially if played in Melbourne.

On that my friend we will disagree, but it would be a great game to watch, especially if played in Melbourne.

I, too, would love to see the ultimate comparison between the 2. Having watched the Albion v Leeds and Victory v Newcastle i think it would end up a 0-0 draw!

It is easy to say 'well, that is cos the standard is so poor', but i think it runs a bit deeper than that. The fact that Reidy is now 'home' and probably feels more wanted by his current club has a lot to do with it.

It also goes to show quite how poor the standard of the ACL is outside the couple of Japanese teams. You'll all get to see him at the CWC in Decemeber, anyway.

I really hope Gamba destroy Adelaide as Gamba gave Victory a footballing lesson both home and away in the group stages. They are a proper team...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here