Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Nevin - New First Team Coach

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One thing the above articles don't mention is that Paul Nevin was a striker in his playing days.

I hope that this will be of benefit to our attacking players - personally, I thought that having Hughton, Calderwood and Jones all being former defenders skewed the emphasis towards safety first. Since Jones left our scoring has improved, although his is mainly due to Knocky.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
decent taste in music too, which is all too rare in footballers and, even more so, with footballers from that era.

Edit: been beaten to it.

"He has an arts degree from Glasgow Caledonian University. His interest in literature and the arts and his musical tastes made him stand out from many of his football player peers. He preferred The Fall and Joy Division to Phil Collins or Lionel Richie. Due to his less usual musical taste and prominence as a player he was interviewed by music magazine NME and was a guest music presenter on Radio City during his Everton and Tranmere career. Nevin now lives in Duns,[7] with his wife and two children. At the second Bowlie Weekender, hosted by ATP he played a DJ set,[8] playing Belle & Sebastian, Orange Juice and "My New House" by The Fall while wearing a The Pains of Being Pure at Heart T-shirt. The following day he slipped an indiepop reference onto 5 Live while talking about the Man Utd vs Arsenal match.[9] He has also appeared as a guest DJ at Scared To Dance[10] and How Does It Feel To Be Loved?, which are both indiepop club nights in London.[11] He makes a guest appearance on the 1986 Ted Chippington / Vindaloo Summer Special (with Robert Lloyd & The Nightingales and Fuzzbox) video of "Rockin With Rita".[12]"

What's not to like about this fella?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
"He has an arts degree from Glasgow Caledonian University. His interest in literature and the arts and his musical tastes made him stand out from many of his football player peers. He preferred The Fall and Joy Division to Phil Collins or Lionel Richie. Due to his less usual musical taste and prominence as a player he was interviewed by music magazine NME and was a guest music presenter on Radio City during his Everton and Tranmere career. Nevin now lives in Duns,[7] with his wife and two children. At the second Bowlie Weekender, hosted by ATP he played a DJ set,[8] playing Belle & Sebastian, Orange Juice and "My New House" by The Fall while wearing a The Pains of Being Pure at Heart T-shirt. The following day he slipped an indiepop reference onto 5 Live while talking about the Man Utd vs Arsenal match.[9] He has also appeared as a guest DJ at Scared To Dance[10] and How Does It Feel To Be Loved?, which are both indiepop club nights in London.[11] He makes a guest appearance on the 1986 Ted Chippington / Vindaloo Summer Special (with Robert Lloyd & The Nightingales and Fuzzbox) video of "Rockin With Rita".[12]"

What's not to like about this fella?

This is amazing a Belle and Sebastian fan - where is this quote from

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are we Norwich in disguise?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7459864 said:
Paul not pat!

I know it Paul not Pat; i really think our wingers are going to learn a thing or two from someone of his ability and nous.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Anyone know much about his playing career ???

175060hp2.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One thing the above articles don't mention is that Paul Nevin was a striker in his playing days.

I hope that this will be of benefit to our attacking players - personally, I thought that having Hughton, Calderwood and Jones all being former defenders skewed the emphasis towards safety first. Since Jones left our scoring has improved, although his is mainly due to Knocky.

Although they were all together at Norwich and and the tactics were widely criticised by fans as being far too negative. Just because he was a striker doesn't mean owt really. Still, in Chris we trust.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Ah

Therein lies the confusion. Chris told me about this appointment weeks ago and said'' he had worked with him at Norwich but I had never heard of him. Then totally forgot the name.

I then saw your original post and saw the name ''Paul Nevin''

I jumped the gun and thought '' Pat Nevin '' formerly of Clyde, Everton and Chelsea whom I had played football against as a kid.. I then thought I must have a chat with Chris about this.

Obviously, I should have read you post better first before I jump to conclusions.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Ah

Therein lies the confusion. Chris told me about this appointment weeks ago and said'' he had worked with him at Norwich but I had never heard of him. Then totally forgot the name.

I then saw your original post and saw the name ''Paul Nevin''

I jumped the gun and thought '' Pat Nevin '' formerly of Clyde, Everton and Chelsea whom I had played football against as a kid.. I then thought I must have a chat with Chris about this.

Obviously, I should have read you post better first before I jump to conclusions.

NSC has decided it's PAT Nevin that is Chris Houghton's thirst team coach :thumbsup:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Chris worked under and played in one of the most attacking Spurs teams of all time. Tony Galvin, Steve Archibald and Garth Crooks, Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardilles. He knows how to attack. Just look at how we pounded Sheff Wed in the 2nd leg of the play offs. I know that didn't work out but in his own right, he knows how to try and batter teams doors down if that is what is required to try and win a football match.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
NSC has decided it's PAT Nevin that is Chris Houghton's thirst team coach :thumbsup:

LOL - I know Pat. That was why I was gobsmacked when I misread the name. I was looking forward to catching up with him but now I have been deflated. Not literally though

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Chris worked under and played in one of the most attacking Spurs teams of all time. Tony Galvin, Steve Archibald and Garth Crooks, Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardilles. He knows how to attack. Just look at how we pounded Sheff Wed in the 2nd leg of the play offs. I know that didn't work out but in his own right, he knows how to try and batter teams doors down if that is what is required to try and win a football match.

It doesn't always work like that. Glenn Hoddle was in that same side and is arguably the most creative British player of his generation but to hear him as a pundit now he's always advocating pragmatic, tight football.

I think the fact Hughton drew a lot in the first half of 2015 and beat teams by one goal in the second half of 2015 suggests he doesn't set his teams up to cut loose that often, and players like Murphy and Baldock will work very hard without providing much attacking end product. However, there were signs in the latter stages of the season he was loosening up a little.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It doesn't always work like that. Glenn Hoddle was in that same side and is arguably the most creative British player of his generation but to hear him as a pundit now he's always advocating pragmatic, tight football.

I think the fact Hughton drew a lot in the first half of 2015 and beat teams by one goal in the second half of 2015 suggests he doesn't set his teams up to cut loose that often, and players like Murphy and Baldock will work very hard without providing much attacking end product. However, there were signs in the latter stages of the season he was loosening up a little.

All I said was he knows how to attack and it was in response to someone suggesting he was defensive because all the coaches were defenders.

You need to have the personell to be able to do it as well and he has only had 2 transfer windows so far so the team building is still a ''work in progress''

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You need to have the personell to be able to do it as well and he has only had 2 transfer windows so far so the team building is still a ''work in progress''

Not much signs of team building this window but then again players contracts only finished yesterday and still a month to go to the start of the season so hopdfully we will see some movement in soon, and some out hopefully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here