Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Paul Merson

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I’ve been listening to an audiobook of his new book, Hooked, whilst working this week. He charts his 30+ year battle with alcohol, drug and gambling addiction and dear oh dear oh dear, what an absolute, unmitigated car crash that man’s life has been. Stumbling, quite literally at times, from one personal disaster to the next.

The booze and the drugs are enough to write a book on in their own right, but the gambling - the utter, utter madness of the gambling is just astonishing.

I never really got into gambling. I’ve placed the odd bet over the years but generally I’ve lost my money, got pìssed off and never really had the compulsion to do it again. As such, I’ve never really understood gambling as an addiction, but this is a really well articulated insight into that mindset. Brutally honest in places, and there are times when you struggle to have sympathy for the bloke, but it’s well worth a read / listen if you get chance.

I was aware of his issues, particularly in the 90s, but I hadn’t quite appreciated the scale and longevity of the absolute chaos that has ensued over the years. Definitely worth a few hours of your time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Addictive personality disorder. I find the absolute determination to do whatever the compulsion requires to be very interesting. Not wanting to trigger another mental health thread so will shut up now, except to say, he can't help it, and knows it, and has enough insight to seek help, so good luck to the man.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Poor bloke. So many demons, so much judgement over the years.

Hope he gets the help and finds the strength.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
I thought he had overcome his demons but then read something in the last week or so saying he had lost a huge amount of money gambling during lockdown.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Being employed by a TV company that pushes its gambling arm at every opportunity probably doesn't help...

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Being employed by a TV company that pushes its gambling arm at every opportunity probably doesn't help...

Indeed. He said that he’s had to cancel Sky so as to avoid the exposure to and temptation to bet on live sport. Which is all well and good, unless you’re actually on it yourself.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Indeed. He said that he’s had to cancel Sky so as to avoid the exposure to and temptation to bet on live sport. Which is all well and good, unless you’re actually on it yourself.

This would explain why he comes across as ill-prepared and winging it.

It is a mystery as to how he avoided the middle-aged white man cull that took the more knowledgeable Le Tissier and more experienced Phil Thompson (Charlie Nicholas had to go - he was just a tw*t).

Maybe this is Sky's way of saying if this man can gamble away a fortune and come out the other side then keep betting UK!

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
It's funny watching him have a breakdown everytime Neil Ruddock tells him to fùck off when Merson calls him an alcoholic slob or chav. If he dishes it out he's got to learn how to take it. Every series of 'Harry's heroes' or 'Eur having a laugh' it seems to happen.

"He's supposed to be my mate" in a snivelling, pathetic voice with tears streaming down his face. Grow some balls, Merse. :cry:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It's funny watching him have a breakdown everytime Neil Ruddock tells him to fùck off when Merson calls him an alcoholic slob or chav. If he dishes it out he's got to learn how to take it. Every series of 'Harry's heroes' or 'Eur having a laugh' it seems to happen.

"He's supposed to be my mate" in a snivelling, pathetic voice with tears streaming down his face. Grow some balls, Merse. :cry:

I’m all for calling out softie types but don’t think merson one of them .

Has massive issues yes . A softie no

Know a few people that have had dealings with him and other things I’ve seen and read he’s generally all round bloody decent bloke

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

'Funny' watching someone have a breakdown? :facepalm: That's pretty cruel mate and Paul Merson has always been honest about his problems which could resurface at anytime. Show a bit more compassion about his difficulties that is probably happening to a very small percentage of Premier League stars with all the mega wages right now.

Anyway, I thought I would bring this thread up because there is a BBC programme next Monday night on BBC1 about how he will never probably conquer his gambling demons. With various clubs being sponsored by betting companies, is it immoral targeting big, problem gamblers? Definitely.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I saw him play for Arsenal when he was first into the team - I think it was the season they won the League at Anfield in 1989. He was an amazing player. One of the best I have seen.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Yeah I saw a stat that the betting companies make 90% of their profit from the 10% highest spending customers ie most of this 10% being the problem gamblers / addicts.

So it’s marketed as a ‘fun’ activity they offer, but actually it’s just a front to trap problem gamblers in a destructive cycle which ruins their lives. Horrible stuff- they are looking at banning some of the advertising of betting and I imagine all the advertising will be banned at some point or will be seriously restricted.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
IMO if you're going to justify the banning of alcohol and tobacco products from advertising during sporting fixtures then there should be no difference between that and gambling, as it is just as destructive of people's lives. There was a frankly terrifying episode of "Joe Lycett's Got Your Back" last week about how children are being exposed to gambling at an early age.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Wow, people like you do still exist!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Literally just got back from walking the dog and was listening to the Guardian Football Weekly and he was on. Mentioned the gambling in lockdown but hasn't had a bet now for a year (hasn't had a drink for 3 years).

Said he wrote the book when he realised his addictive compulsion was an illness whereas before he just thought he was a bad person.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BBC1 program about him on Monday

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I recently heard brilliant, long interviews with Merson and separately Shilton on R5 about their former gambling addictions.

I’ve rarely gambled myself, but came to the conclusion a long time ago that imho it’s as bad or worse than any other addiction. There’s only so much booze or narcotics that can be consumed. But gambling wipes out entire life savings, often the family’s and so it directly destroys the live of innocents at the same time.

Shilton was saved by himself and his amazing partner. So bad at one stage that he avoided short journeys and trips out in case he missed piling on big on a horse race. He lied about his losses.

The bookies, despite the supposed modern safeguards, must’ve loved it. Robbing £1,000’s a day from ex-footballers.

Respect to them both, I hope they beat it forever.

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
In a preview of the programme being shown next week, apparently one adult a day in Britain commits suicide due to gambling debts or blowing their life savings. That is pretty shocking and it's not just about greed - someone that has never had a bet in their lives might think it is. But I think that's ignorance.

I'm glad that I'm not 17 or 18 again. The teletext pages for William Hill always used to have glossy presentations and attractive colours. Newcastle in the mid-nineties were generally around 11/10 to win at places like Everton, Spurs, Leeds or West Ham when they were chasing the Premier League. They'd win about one in three so breaking even was always a result. I learnt a lot that betting is a lot like alcohol - respect it in moderation or you'll end up bang in trouble.

These days with betting online so easy, I'm glad that I just bet in shops so every punt is thought out carefully and sticking to a limit. I often see gamblers losing control when they're playing on the FOBT machines. Those things are very dangerous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here