Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Paul Heaton

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was stunned to learn how incredibly wealthy he is. I say stunned because, being in my mid-thirties, he has hardly set the world alight with hits that I’ve been aware of. Not a criticism, I just knew a few of the Beautiful South songs from the 90’s and occasionally hear The Housemartins on the radio - all very pleasant stuff.

I’m guessing he has a lot of non-music related income - the article I read had him richer than Sting and other huge names(!)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I was stunned to learn how incredibly wealthy he is. I say stunned because, being in my mid-thirties, he has hardly set the world alight with hits that I’ve been aware of. Not a criticism, I just knew a few of the Beautiful South songs from the 90’s and occasionally hear The Housemartins on the radio - all very pleasant stuff.

I’m guessing he has a lot of non-music related income - the article I read had him richer than Sting and other huge names(!)
A quick google suggest he has a net wealth of 4 million. Sting more like 500 million.

Where did you read different?

I would be stunned if Heaton was richer than Sting.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Don’t read The Sun or Mail.

The Housemartins and Beautiful South were huge, Heaton himself is a prolific songwriter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Whilst he most likely made a very healthy income from Housemartins and especially The Beautiful South it was the Greatest Hits compilation Carry On Up The Charts which catapulted him into the big league. It was a huge seller, far outstipping anything else he'd ever done. It's 7 times platinum in the UK alone.

And this wealth never went to his head, he seems a very grounded and generous person.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That said, I just noticed Blue is the Colour is 5 times platinum in the UK.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I doubt both of these statements.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
though that sounds very suspect as a fact, song writers will write for others and make a mint from the royalties.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Best songwriter of his generation bar none.
There is a fascinating documentary, from a few decades ago now I guess, which focuses on the bands songwriting and recording. He would typically take himself away somewhere and sit in bars and cafes and watch people for lyrical inspiration. They would then have a band meeting about where to go to record the music….I think a month in Saville was the outcome of the meeting in the doc.

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I’m not sure if this is true or just one of those stories that gets passed on - but apparently he was on the pitch with Sheff Utd fans at the Goldstone on the last game of the season in 1985

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I’m not sure if this is true or just one of those stories that gets passed on - but apparently he was on the pitch with Sheff Utd fans at the Goldstone on the last game of the season in 1985
Shit.. I hope he wasn’t the one I landed one on.

That’s gonna haunt me now forever 😳

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here