Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber's programme notes

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
Neither of those have post match beers available at the ground.

Not sure what your point is, fans staying for post match beers make the choice to stay when Millwall are in town. Parents with their children penned on the ramp didn't have a choice

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
The multiple announcements during and after the game explained that (football special train to get them home / engineering works and train cancellations) and it also cuts the risk of further trouble by getting them away quickly. - A sensible move imo.

I really don't know how much more simply our fans seem to want these things explained to them for them to understand and comments like the above make us look like simpletons (but hey, at least it can be used to have another unneccessary dig at someone at the club again)

Except that there were no cancellations as far as I could see. I just missed the Victoria train I usually got but got the Thameslink train shortly after. Sounds like misinformation put out at the ground to me to try and "kettle" the Millwall fans.

Didn't work though as about 20 mouthy idiots joined the usual queue and the police did nothing to quieten them down even when they were leaning over the barriers and mouthing off.

Stewarding and policing dire last night.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Agree with both comments - seems our fans are behaving pathetically and he is just the latest avenue for their frustrations to be vented - any trivial thing is latched onto and twisted to suit an agenda.

Was last nights game more important than Fulham last week or away at Wolves next match? - we want to win the to try to help improve the situation we are in.

And again a logical comment - we have been creating more chances that previous seasons but not scoring enough, we have limited opposition chances to very few but are conceeding and results could have been more kind (especially early on in Hyypias reign)

Do you seriously think any official of any organisation is ever going to come out and openly and publicly criticise an employee, seriously undermining that employee's authority? - No it would be highly unprofessional.

It's obviously just another example of various club employees being damned if they do and damned if they don't because you can't please all of the people all of the time.

It these sorts of things are being classed as enough to say that the soul has gone from the club or they show that someone is out of touch and should go, it just shows how ridiculous and pathetic this reaction from some fans is.

Is there anything that is going on at the moment that you are unhappy with? Genuine question.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Look on the bright side. It does give you another opportunity to defend the club.

I shouldn't need to if it wasn't for such stupidity and negativity that is potentially very damaging to this club.

How many people do you think get put off going by this sort of comment and that there is something wrong at the club and the underlying feeling of discontent? - quite a few but the ones doing it seem to think they are acting in the clubs best interest when in fact they are doing the exact opposite by creating a toxic atmosphere.

How does looking for any little comment like this to twist constructive to the clubs long term future?

I have read comments where Bloom who has invested hundreds of millions into the club is supposedly as bad for this clubs future as Bill Archer and co who invested the square root of sweet FA. That the club is in a bad a shape as the bad old days and other untruths like the board don't care or doing nothing to help the team despite spending more on loan players like Bent.

Honestly, what more could they do to show they are infact the opposite of what some fans are claiming they are?

Some people just seem to like to protest and campaign and constantly have a hate figure and it seems that this is what football is all about to them rather than just watching a match in great surroundings and getting behind the team.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Agree with both comments - seems our fans are behaving pathetically and he is just the latest avenue for their frustrations to be vented - any trivial thing is latched onto and twisted to suit an agenda.

Was last nights game more important than Fulham last week or away at Wolves next match? - we want to win the to try to help improve the situation we are in.

And again a logical comment - we have been creating more chances that previous seasons but not scoring enough, we have limited opposition chances to very few but are conceeding and results could have been more kind (especially early on in Hyypias reign)

Do you seriously think any official of any organisation is ever going to come out and openly and publicly criticise an employee, seriously undermining that employee's authority? - No it would be highly unprofessional.

It's obviously just another example of various club employees being damned if they do and damned if they don't because you can't please all of the people all of the time.

It these sorts of things are being classed as enough to say that the soul has gone from the club or they show that someone is out of touch and should go, it just shows how ridiculous and pathetic this reaction from some fans is.

Have you read what he wrote? Very little criticism has come from me regarding Paul Barber, but his notes last night were poor, ill timed and completely unnecessary. Very surprised

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
You should apply for a job at the football club, you sound just like their kind of man.....

I shouldn't need to if it wasn't for such stupidity and negativity that is potentially very damaging to this club.

How many people do you think get put off going by this sort of comment and that there is something wrong at the club and the underlying feeling of discontent? - quite a few but the ones doing it seem to think they are acting in the clubs best interest when in fact they are doing the exact opposite by creating a toxic atmosphere.

How does looking for any little comment like this to twist constructive to the clubs long term future?

I have read comments where Bloom who has invested hundreds of millions into the club is supposedly as bad for this clubs future as Bill Archer and co who invested the square root of sweet FA. That the club is in a bad a shape as the bad old days and other untruths like the board don't care or doing nothing to help the team despite spending more on loan players like Bent.

Honestly, what more could they do to show they are infact the opposite of what some fans are claiming they are?

Some people just seem to like to protest and campaign and constantly have a hate figure and it seems that this is what football is all about to them rather than just watching a match in great surroundings and getting behind the team.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Barber is a complete **** - simply doesnt get it or in complete denial

I think you will find PB very much does get it, and understands football is like no other business, where if the product is crap, no one buys it. Football must have have the biggest 'brand' loyalty of any industry, and PB most definitely knows this, and plays on it...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Not sure what your point is, fans staying for post match beers make the choice to stay when Millwall are in town. Parents with their children penned on the ramp didn't have a choice
Millwall and Palace can easily let their own supporters go home before clearing out the away fans because at the final whistle to all intents and purposes, that's it. No after match beers, food etc. No bars open in the ground used by home fans after games.

Getting shot of oiks like Millwall and Palace as soon as possible is the only option for The Albion.

As for parents with children on the ramps-it was Millwall for crying out loud. Surely every parent knows that there might be an element of risk for this fixture? The 'normal behaviour' of the morons from Millwall is not the Albion's responsibility and they did the most sensible thing. Lots not right at the club right now but getting shot of morons as fast as possible is something they do correctly.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Is there anything that is going on at the moment that you are unhappy with? Genuine question.

Of course i am disappointed with how things have gone on the pitch and think a management change is needed, but i am not going to over react like some on here and demand that the whole club be stripped down and everything started again just because of one bad transfer window.

There was a similar thing to this at Withdean and we had a slump during it (it only changed again as Falmer was starting to be built) and it was damaging to the club, it affected their income, it affected the numbers in the ground and it affected other peoples enjoyment because of a chinese whisper type of effect where negativity spreads far quicker than positivity.

If a new manager comes in, will the rumblings of discontent going to continue? will people still call for other club officials to go (even if they don't fully understand their roles or what they actually do at the club but base it on hearsay, assumption and rumour and any attempt to clarify or explain is met with derision?

If that continues, do you think that things around the club will improve, fairweather fans will return and other peoples enjoyment of matches will increase or willthat sort of grumbling put people off, undermine the new manager and affect the team?

There are plenty of examples where off the field discontent has affected the playing side - Wolves ending in double relegation, Cardiff ending in relegation, etc.... Protests and calls for people to go do nothing positive for a club imo. and i want the club to achieve the best it can (but am realistic and don't think that the club is as big as some think or that we are owed anything for saving the club all those years ago which some do and complain if they don't look like getting a reward of premier league football)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I don't think he is happy with all the empty seats around him, but of course this has nothing to do with anything the club has done.

Shall i just invent stuff and claim that the club is acting in a way it isn't just because i don't like someone at the club but in reality don't really know what they do at the club or how well they are doing their job but because it is an easy thing to do and makes me feel like i am acting in the best interets of the club bvecause i am its saviour and deserve better ? or that they are an easy target ?

that will fill those seats in the blink of an eye

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I can't be arsed to type out the whole boring nonsense but these two nuggets are priceless:

"Tonight's game is no bigger than any other"

"We know that our performances have deserved better results and that our league position should be much better as a result"

Really?
This concerns me, does he really think that by doing nothing things will improve, that this is merely a blip.

Time for some tough decisions Mr Bloom. None of us want relegation, least of all you.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Also would anyone care to compile a list of everything that people have complained about since we have moved into the Amex - It will be a very long list and start from the first game of the first season in this new ground. - They just sound like a very ungrateful bunch and no matter what anyone would do for the club in their efforts to secure the clubs long term future and not just live in the here and now, it will never be good enough for them.

It makes you wonder if Bloom regrets doing that if thats how the fans have reacted to this generous act. he wante to build something for future generations, so they can come and watch the club in comfort and have an enjoyable time. They have listened and responded to the fans thoughts and sugegstions (from having Harveys to selling chips, to having an outside area for fans to meet up, have a beer and mingle before the game.

They have been proactive in responding to potential problems in the squad (Stockdale getting injured so brough in Al Habsi as cover, Brought in Bent to try to add more goals, etc) but are getting criticised for this - had they not bothered i'd bet the same people would be complaining because they hadn't reacted.

Some people are just not happy unless they are complaining, and this complaining spreads out and puts other people off (no smoke without fire, etc) and soon myths become facts in peoples minds and it spreads even further until it reaches a fever pitch.

The truth is there is a law of diminishing returns, and as you go to more and more games, your enjoyment of each game goes down in the same way as your 5th beer doesn't seem as good as your first. A lot of the unhappy fans since the summer and before are, from what i can see, the ones who have followed the club for a long time so this the case.

Then coupled with reading complaint after comlaint and criticism and moaning constantly, is it any wonder they arn't enjoying the football? there has been an underlying air of confrontation and hostility towards the club and certain members of staff since the summer and before and i'd like to know how this is supposed to work to benefit the other fans that go to games?

As people have hinted above, had Bloom not invested £200m+, they would be protesting against him and wanting him out. Why would anyone want to take over if he ever goes if thats how fans treat investors?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION] people are disgruntled because whilst the club preaches its "One club one ambition" mantra, and continues to charge top dollar, it is patently FAILING right now in the single most important area - on the pitch. Player recruitment has been absolutely catastrophic, we've replaced quality with journeyman junk on the cheap, which has resulted in a squad so STUFFED full of loan signings we can't even fit them all in on a matchday. That's unheard of, and is indictative of the chaos that's pervading at the club right now. The manager seemingly has no clue how to arrest this slide, and there's a very real chance that we're going to be 5 points adrift of safety in the relegation zone in a few hours time.

That not based on rumour, or supposition, or not knowing whats going on behind the scenes. Its based on what every single fan can see with his or her own two eyes when we look out on that pitch and see how far we have fallen back as a team from where we were. This hasn't happened overnight, its been a gradual erosion since Gus took off, and has accelerated horrifically with the appointment of the clueless Finn. Now its urgent. Whether we get behind the team or not, if changes aren't made, and quick, then we ARE going down this season. Absolutely no doubt in my mind about it.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Millwall and Palace can easily let their own supporters go home before clearing out the away fans because at the final whistle to all intents and purposes, that's it. No after match beers, food etc. No bars open in the ground used by home fans after games.

With regard to Palace, that's not actually true. There are a number of bars which remain open after the game has finished at Selhurst Park.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

And another corporate message from Guy Fawkes. One of several club employed posters.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Also would anyone care to compile a list of everything that people have complained about since we have moved into the Amex - It will be a very long list and start from the first game of the first season in this new ground. - They just sound like a very ungrateful bunch and no matter what anyone would do for the club in their efforts to secure the clubs long term future and not just live in the here and now, it will never be good enough for them.

It makes you wonder if Bloom regrets doing that if thats how the fans have reacted to this generous act. he wante to build something for future generations, so they can come and watch the club in comfort and have an enjoyable time. They have listened and responded to the fans thoughts and sugegstions (from having Harveys to selling chips, to having an outside area for fans to meet up, have a beer and mingle before the game.

They have been proactive in responding to potential problems in the squad (Stockdale getting injured so brough in Al Habsi as cover, Brought in Bent to try to add more goals, etc) but are getting criticised for this - had they not bothered i'd bet the same people would be complaining because they hadn't reacted.

Some people are just not happy unless they are complaining, and this complaining spreads out and puts other people off (no smoke without fire, etc) and soon myths become facts in peoples minds and it spreads even further until it reaches a fever pitch.

The truth is there is a law of diminishing returns, and as you go to more and more games, your enjoyment of each game goes down in the same way as your 5th beer doesn't seem as good as your first. A lot of the unhappy fans since the summer and before are, from what i can see, the ones who have followed the club for a long time so this the case.

Then coupled with reading complaint after comlaint and criticism and moaning constantly, is it any wonder they arn't enjoying the football? there has been an underlying air of confrontation and hostility towards the club and certain members of staff since the summer and before and i'd like to know how this is supposed to work to benefit the other fans that go to games?

As people have hinted above, had Bloom not invested £200m+, they would be protesting against him and wanting him out. Why would anyone want to take over if he ever goes if thats how fans treat investors?

The size of your posts. "Are you Barber in disguise".

20% of Internet forums contain posts by the corporate wih a vested interest in the topic. I assume the club like most corporates do this as well. I assume you are one of them. Not a very subtle one either.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Much of which was justified. The club should welcome the feed back, we're doing the job for them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Nonsense. All I want is a half decent football team, an occasional bit of entertainment, and a club I feel part off. I have felt like this for years and most fans I know feel the same. My enjoyment only goes down when we have situations like the current one.

Oh, and my fifth beer always tastes good.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

If the bloody recruitment 'team' had done their jobs properly then there wouldn't have been a need to bring in cover for potential problems-the replacements would already be on the club's books. You can blame the supporters as much as you like for being miserablists and moaners but the underlying problems are all caused by people at the club being paid huge salaries to make sure the club didn't lose its momentum and that the first team squad was of sufficient quality with cover in all positions.

They have failed spectacularly and football supporters will, as they always do, let them know that they are unhappy.

As a club employee some of the crap wouldn't be too bad to take. Discounted season tickets, discounted everything. Meanwhile those of us in the real world are paying full price for everything and the majority are not happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here