Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber response - Loyalty Points/Ticket Allocation Outside of Sussex

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm surprised that no-one has yet suggested making a link between loyalty points and the number of minutes of the match the fan stays for. I had always got the impression, reading NSC, that the true definition of a loyal fan was one who always stayed to the end of the match.

Please send that to PB!

Would love to read his reply :)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I may well be talking out my rear end, as usual. Or perhaps I made it up, be interesting to know though as I do most anyway so would be a lot easier!

Search the Seagulls website and there are a few news items relating to the launch of it but nothing about it closing nor any links to it! Seems like it just quietly slipped away.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm surprised that no-one has yet suggested making a link between loyalty points and the number of minutes of the match the fan stays for. I had always got the impression, reading NSC, that the true definition of a loyal fan was one who always stayed to the end of the match.

:yawn:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I thought we had something like this anyway. Platinum membership or something.
We used to have this. I thought it was binned / suspended a while back due to the changes in the ticketing software, but to be honest I may have just imagined that.

Platinum membership wasn't an away season ticket though - it was an add on to the home season ticket ( gold membership ), so not for fans who just wanted to attend away fixtures.

Last edited:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Why? He's already explained that the club doesn't benefit from away ticket sales and implied that they prioritise rewarding the loyalty of season ticket holders who provide the club with a constant cash flow over the occasional user who contributes little or nothing to the club's financial viability.

If it's all about money then why do I, a 65+ STH, get the same points as an 'adult', <10, <18 STH?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I live up North as many of your know, but I don't think we're entitled to any privileged status over other fans.

Chances are tickets for Burnley, Stoke, Citeh (It's not called the Emptihad for nothing you know), will go on general sale anyway, especially if the kick off is shifted. So us 'locals' should still have a very good chance of seeing the Albion in the PL, IF we get there.

As for Old Trafford, it's a dump, the seating is cramped and uncomfortable, and you're stuck in a corner in the upper tier as an away fan.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If it's all about money then why do I, a 65+ STH, get the same points as an 'adult', <10, <18 STH?

Because "prioritise" doesn't = "it's all about the money"?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I live up North as many of your know, but I don't think we're entitled to any privileged status over other fans.

Chances are tickets for Burnley, Stoke, Citeh (It's not called the Emptihad for nothing you know), will go on general sale anyway, especially if the kick off is shifted. So us 'locals' should still have a very good chance of seeing the Albion in the PL, IF we get there.

As for Old Trafford, it's a dump, the seating is cramped and uncomfortable, and you're stuck in a corner in the upper tier as an away fan.

Isn't there a new ruling that at least one block has to be pitchside from next season?

Edit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...h-side-at-every-premier-league-game-next-sea/

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

My thinking has turned around on this over the last few days. My initial thinking was that this is not necessary, heavy-handed etc. However, that is because it will affect me "negatively" and I hadn't really considered the wider impact. Take Forest away.. I had a ticket bought in my name, but in our group of 4, tickets had been bought for 2 others who couldn't attend and were given to other mates so we could have a good day out. I also have a season ticket for my son (u21) who has left for University. My plan had been to keep the ticket so that he can still come to games when he is at home, and offer them to others (typically my younger sons friends) so that they can come to a game when they might not otherwise get the chance. If I were struggling to get a ticket for games, then I would be firmly with Club's communication on this one. I want to go to games with people who I choose to be with, but where demand is out-stripping supply it means what has worked before may not work now, and will certainly not work if we are promoted. I have to change my outlook.. the odd infringement for last minute circumstantial reasons may not incur the wrath of the Club (Alebit they might!) I will have to consider if I keep my sons season ticket, and the Club will have to accept an empty seat etc if I do, unless of course I offer it to them through official channels.. I have t accept that a couple of mates may simply not get a ticket for the odd game that they try and go to - maybe I wont go to as many, but someone else will and that's probably OK. It's a shame, but I think I have to accept the reality and try and understand how I would feel the other way round. FWIW, the term "loyalty" does not help here; Fans who live away and cant get to the games have to accept that they are not a priority when demand is so high. The reality will be that for games that don't sell out, this wont be a problem, and probably wont be enforced unless it is linked with misbehaviour. I think I have to accept that the rule has to be black or white - by definition, the wider margins will be impacted, but the majority will not. Trying to define which of the marginal groups are more deserving is simply not possible and people will be disappointed. However, others will be delighted being able to get to games that they haven't been able to..

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
How has he side stepped the question? Quite clearly said, season ticket holders predominantly fund the club, Tony the chairman is a mathematician, that is the way the Loyalty system is set. Seems a pretty straightforward answer, whether you agree or not is another matter.

I refer you to my previous post: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?349266-Paul-Barber-response-Loyalty-Points-Ticket-Allocation-Outside-of-Sussex&p=7835811&viewfull=1#post7835811

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Fact remains though: if you're that loyal to the Albion, what on earth were you doing moving away from God's Own County (S) in the first place?

[ Says man who moved to Crete for 3 years ]
Yeah that's right, if you're that pissed off, move back to blighty!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
How many STHs buy the season ticket to secure away tickets? They don't, they want to go to the home games. Why therefore can we not have a loyalty scheme for away games based on prior away games attended. STH could be rewarded for their loyalty ie buying a product/service (attending home games) with a free pie and pint.

I would say that as I live in Bristol and struggle to get back too often due to family commitments.

We need an away travel club. Many clubs in the Premier League have one.

It could be monetised so profitable for the club. Say £40 but includes an away shirt. STH's have the option to join for a reduced rate.

Selling priorty =

Away club members with X number of points (reducing and staggered)
Away club members with zero points
Season ticket holders (those who don't buy away club scheme)
Those with a purchase history
General Sale
POTG

Away club points should be awarded on the basis on distance travelled and the demand for the game. I suggest 3 travel zone and 3 demand based categories.

Example:-

Zone one would be worth one point and would include London, the SE and as far as Watford, Soton and maybe bournmouth. Zone 2 would be a line drawn from North Wales to the East coast and zone 3 would be north of this.

A cat 1 game would be the big six. A Cat 2 game would be West Ham / Palace/ Leicester/Stoke etc and a Cat 3 game would be Boro, Burnely and Bournmouth.

A visit to the Emirates would earn just one point (1 x 1 = 1) where a trip to Boro would earn 9 points (3 x 3 = 9), Palace would earn 2 (2 x 1 = 2) and Leicester would earn 4 (2 x 2 =4)

This system would offer more reward to those those attend northern away game and incetivise us to have more support when we need it most as the less attractive northern fixtures.

This should be totally separate from the Season ticket and Bronze membership which is perfect in it's current format for HOME games only.

Home games should be sold to those with Bronze, Purchase history, general sale which is pretty much where it is now. As a side point, if you don't have a season ticket I think a bronze membership would be a good plan in we make it for next season.

As it stands the club are getting it wrong by trying to have the same membership scheme for both home and away. Getting this right now will ensure more support when we need it most, a scheme that does not lock out fans from attending away games just beacuse they don't have a season ticket and ultimately, more money for the club from revenue from membership fees for the new away travel club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here