Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber on today's FFP vote

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
i have a dvd of the 83 fa cup final if anyone is still missing it ...
i am so pleased we have tony bloom in charge for as long as he wants,
brighton and hove albion will live on without him and after him
but we are in a much better place with him ,
and potentially if we can start winning a few games in a great place
come on sami, come on you stripes!
lets stuff blackburn on saturday
good thread ..thx mr thread starter

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
How can Tony Bloom, a very wealthy man, be expected to write off the £120 million cost of the stadium?
Nobody is expecting him to write off his investment, especially him but he has always said that option is available if it's needed. It also would not be a write off. Maybe he could look at the administration option for the club which seems to have worked for a number of clubs. Any tips for him on that?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I am told that Burnley have a clause in their players agreement that wages go back to the previous level if relegated. Why cant the Premier League and Football League insist on that clause in all contracts then there would be no need for parachute payments at all.

Because all the decent players would go abroad.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
How about we have a deal. Everybody shuts the f*ck up about the cost of pies/beers etc and Tony loses £13m a year. I think I know who gets the best deal out of this one. We are very lucky indeed to have this fella in charge.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How about we have a deal. Everybody shuts the f*ck up about the cost of pies/beers etc and Tony loses £13m a year. I think I know who gets the best deal out of this one. We are very lucky indeed to have this fella in charge.

Correct, massively.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
It will be a lot easier to self sustainable in the Premier League than the Championship.

Worth gambling 13m a year to reach the promised land IMO.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It will be a lot easier to self sustainable in the Premier League than the Championship.

Yes, and I think that this point may well be the reason that there may be an apparent disconnect between TB saying, as he has, that he wants the club to be self-sustaining and at the same time voting to increase the allowable loss to increase from £5m to £13m next year (and subsequent years). He may well have calculated that closing the financial gap between us and those clubs that have parachute payments gives us a better chance of promotion. Crudely, two years of £13m loss to get promotion and thus self-sustainability is better than a possibly perpetual £5m PA loss. It's a gamble, of course, because he might not get promotion even if he is prepared to fund a £13m loss...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, and I think that this point may well be the reason that there may be an apparent disconnect between TB saying, as he has, that he wants the club to be self-sustaining and at the same time voting to increase the allowable loss to increase from £5m to £13m next year (and subsequent years). He may well have calculated that closing the financial gap between us and those clubs that have parachute payments gives us a better chance of promotion. Crudely, two years of £13m loss to get promotion and thus self-sustainability is better than a possibly perpetual £5m PA loss. It's a gamble, of course, because he might not get promotion even if he is prepared to fund a £13m loss...

Believe he has quite a decent record as a gambler. If that is what it takes we are in pretty good hands. Keep the faith.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Believe he has quite a decent record as a gambler. If that is what it takes we are in pretty good hands. Keep the faith.

Oh, I didn't mean to question it as a strategy; merely to observe that his statement that he wants the club to be self-sustaining isn't necessarily at odds with his decision to vote for a large increase in allowable losses. S'all

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think Bloom has done very well, but if a middle east oil tycoon is interested in taking over he should stand aside. I am fed up of reading about FFP. We need someone to throw money at it and bring in a lot of Vincente type players who are not injury prone. That will also fill the Amex back up.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think Bloom has done very well, but if a middle east oil tycoon is interested in taking over he should stand aside. I am fed up of reading about FFP. We need someone to throw money at it and bring in a lot of Vincente type players who are not injury prone. That will also fill the Amex back up.
Why dont you support Man city if thats what you want? I must be one of the few who dont give a rats about attendances all that matters to me is that Im there to support my team win or lose.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Rough night to be out fishing

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex

Most clubs in the prem have huge debt and many make a loss every year.we may buck the trend,I personally doubt it,but any extra revenue gets swallowed up by big wages/transfer fees.Mr Bloom may not want to gamble 13 mill a year anyway.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Most clubs in the prem have huge debt and many make a loss every year.we may buck the trend,I personally doubt it,but any extra revenue gets swallowed up by big wages/transfer fees.Mr Bloom may not want to gamble 13 mill a year anyway.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I disagree with your first point. As far as I know, TB has never specified the time period in which he wants the club to be self-sustaining. There's also the point that the environment has massively changed, by parachute payments having increased by c50% since he made that statement. Finally, PB said that the possibility of being relegated after achieving promotion was part of the reason the club decided to vote in favour of the change in allowable losses.

If you put these three things together, my interpretation would be that TB is prepared to continue to fund the club at a higher level than previously thought until we get promotion, after which self-sustainability would become a key goal. If this goal limited our ability to remain in the PL at the first attempt then so be it. He'd accept relegation, with parachute payments, and we'd then become a yo yo club for a few seasons, but we'd be self-sufficient.

Of course, if he did fund the club at higher levels and we never got promoted, presumably at some point he'd lose his appetite for large losses and the strategy may change, but there's no evidence for this at present.

Whether he's prepared to fund the club to the full £13m next year (and beyond), I don't know. The fact that PB reiterated the club's policy of remaining competitive would suggest that TB will certainly fund bigger losses than this season...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
How can a club like ours ever be self-sustaining when 90% of its total income goes out in players wages and fees. FFP is just covering up the single biggest issue in football...the grossly inflated wages of footballers communserate with their contribution.
We do not get value for money for what they are paid. The hunger has disappeared from the game. Players can go through the motions for weeks or sit on the sidelines doing nothing or hide in the treatment room for months and it makes not a blind bit of difference to their money. There is no incentive to win when you are paid a massive basic salary. We have players at BHA earning substantially more than the Prime Minister and most senior company directors.
Unadulterated madness.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How can a club like ours ever be self-sustaining when 90% of its total income goes out in players wages and fees. FFP is just covering up the single biggest issue in football...the grossly inflated wages of footballers communserate with their contribution.
We do not get value for money for what they are paid. The hunger has disappeared from the game. Players can go through the motions for weeks or sit on the sidelines doing nothing or hide in the treatment room for months and it makes not a blind bit of difference to their money. There is no incentive to win when you are paid a massive basic salary. We have players at BHA earning substantially more than the Prime Minister and most senior company directors.
Unadulterated madness.

Indeed, but it's not the players' fault. If a company in your industry came along and offered you double what you are paid now with all elements of your job staying the same, you'd probably take it. Most would. We all only have one career and wish to earn as much as we reasonably can to supply for and support our families.

The fault lies squarely with clubs, as a collective group, who have chased the Premier League dream and supposed riches. It's cascaded down through the game and like it or not those running our club are as much to blame as anyone.

I'm not sure what the answer is, if indeed one actually exists.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, but what if we don't get promoted? What then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here